• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Kicking a fentanyl snorting habit, what timeframe for Subutex, and other WTFs!?

thesixgorillion

Greenlighter
(If you don't want to read the back-story and cut to the crux, jump to the bolded CRUX portion below).

I've been on and off opioids for years, starting with oxycodone back in those halcyon days of the 80mg "green monster" original OCs (not the OP non-sense), later moved to heroin and then on to fentanyl as it is so prevalent and, in many cases, easier and more consistent to get.

While my first experience with fentanyl involved those gel patches whereby they could be sliced open and smoked or transbuccal'd, I later moved on to this snortable fentanyl powder or what many just call "fenny" / "fendi" here. Whether or not it is real fentanyl, an analog of it, or what is unknown; it is a white powder and has come and gone in a variety of shades of white, from rock to flake to fluffy snow, from weak to extremely strong. Certainly it is extremely adulterated as true lab-grade fentanyl would kill even the most opioid-tolerant amongst us with a few pebbles worth. Some of what I've found over the past year would have me nodding out standing up by snorting less than a tenth of a gram; others I could snort a gram in 4 hours and barely feel it. Needless to say the quality, quantity and source of it all is unknown truly. So who knows what else is mixed in this, or how much actual fentanyl? When compared to known quantities such as patches, lollipops, etc. there is no way to know. I do not have a laboratory that can test for these things (unless someone can suggest one I can send to, anonymously, and get the results anonymously).

A friend of mine whom was plugging fentanyl - although, he was also doing heroin at times, and got his fentanyl from a variety of sources - recently went to a detox clinic. They told him that Subutex (buprenorphrine) could not be administered for several days as fentanyl stays in the body for a decent period of time. I find this odd as this stuff seems to metabolize right through me (although I do generally enter w/d quickly from any opioid) within hours let alone a few days. He said he entered precipitated withdrawal after being administered suboxone. When I asked about a tox screen he said they found only fentanyl, cocaine (crack user) and xanax / other benzos.

THE CRUX (Skip here for the skinny)

In short I have become confused and unsure on how to get off of fentanyl and back onto Subutex (buprenorphrine, no nalaxone) for the following reasons. I have read or heard the following conflicting information:

1) Fentanyl is short-acting, and thus shouldn't take too long before buprenorphrine could be administered;

2) Fentanyl is absorbed into the fat for chronic/longer term use (I have been using snortable for a year), and must wait several days before administering;

3) Clinics found that patients taking Suboxone/Subutex at times were also taking fentanyl in order to get high while on the buprenorphrine maintenance doses, as fentanyl is not blocked by Suboxone; if this is the case, how can Suboxone put you into precipitated withdrawal if it isn't going to bind the same way and thus "kick out" the other opioid, causing the precipitated withdrawals?

4) When "fentanyl" and "buprenorphrine" are searched together on a search engine, you end up with many articles regarding co-administration of the drug or alternating between the two for pain management purposes. Both would be confusing - one, the mix of them, similar to the point #3 made above and, two, if alternating there would be no "detox" time between the fentanyl to the bupe. So thus again, back at the precip. w/d's mentioned in #2;

5) Some sources saying one should switch to a different drug for tapering purposes, such as morphine (or dare I say heroin, or oxycodone, or vicodin, anything else) - the only thing it was contra-indicated for was people with opioid abuse problems, naturally, but they advised that for people on fentanyl patches (yes, your doctor saying 'hey here's some morphine to help you get off the fentanyl, then we go from there').

6) Other sources saying that going from fentanyl to methadone should be done, again with very little consideration for detox time between fentanyl and methadone.

With all of this contradictory information I am left very confused. I am going to make a plan to taper down the fentanyl to several smaller doses a day and then increase the time between those doses longer and longer, with the doses coming down with each increase in duration of time of frequency. For instance I was thinking, if a baseline is (my typical day):

0.08mg in the morning upon waking, mixed w/ Dormin (diphenhydramine);
0.10mg multiple times throughout the day; probably totalling 0.50mg (1/2 g) a day or more, depending on how potent the particular "fenny" I have this given day is. However if I don't get a dose after, say, 8+ hours I begin sweating very badly. It hits FAST.

So my naive plan might be for tapering:

0.04mg in the morning;
0.08mg after 2 hours, 0.08mg 4 hours after that, 0.05mg 4 hours after that, 0.03mg later at night to go to bed mixed with some clonidine or klonopin;
TOTAL: 0.28mg/day for week 1

Then, decrease to 0.03mg in AM, 0.06mg after 2 hours, 0.06mg in place of the 0.08s, and 0.03mg again at night for a week; week 2
Then, 0.02mg in AM, 0.04mg replacing 0.06s, none at night (take extra klonopin + gabapentin etc); week 3
Then, 0.02mg in AM, 0.06mg ONCE during the day, 0.02mg a few hours before bed (for mental purpose); week 4
Then, none taken in AM (kratom, klnopin, workout, sex, caffeine, whatever); 2x 0.05mg throughout the day, that's it; week 5
Then, 0.03mg 2x a day, that's it; week 6
Then off, going to subutex. (But what about precipitated withdrawals!? Thus the conflicting info mentioned above! argh! Need real info!)

For chemical support from the mental and physical affects, I have access to:

Hundreds of Subutex 8MG (buprenorphine w/o the naloxone); hundreds of clonidine 1mg, 2mg, etc; hundreds of gabapentin 800mg; plenty of klonopin; plenty of red-vein kratom; various other sleepy pills (Trazodone, etc) to knock self out; CBD oil; whatever.

What do you guys think about that taper plan? And, most pressingly - can I avoid say half the taper by doing a more aggressive taper and then switching to Subutex? Is this precip'd withdrawls thing for real on there? If so why am I reading that they can co-administer fentanyl and subutex? I am very, very confused. Should I switch to something else first, like heroin or oxycodone? Oxies are mad expensive right now but they're available, in limited quantity. Swallowing them should provide me with good several hour spacers before needing to re-dose.

So I am asking everyone for your experiences, for your first-hand tales (or direct tales from a trusted friend), from what your doctors have told you, from what trusted people here have said. This is a very big mystery it seems and no two sites will tell you the same damn thing about fentanyl and suboxone/methadone.

Thank you!

NOTE: Sad to see bluelight ru had gone. I hadn't visited for some time but I typed that URL in my browser, it was gone. Glad to see you're all still around. I lurked a lot in the past there but the site helped me a lot throughout the years.

Glad to see you've found Bluelight again! Seeing that you've got all that Subutex and other meds at your disposal, you might not need to taper off fentanyl. I'm going to move this over to Other Drugs and hopefully, you'll get some help.

@thesixgorilllion if you are switching from transdermal fentanyl to subutex/suboxone you have to wait several days between taking your last patch off and starting the subs. This is because the fentanyl stays in the subcutaneous region of the body for a good while after the patch is removed. If the user switches to subs before this subcutaneous depot of fent has cleared the body, there is a high probability they will experience precipitated withdrawls. This is not due to the half life of the fentanyl itself, but the way the body stores the drug after transdermal application. If the fentanyl is used by another route such as snorting then this process doesn't really apply as the fentanyl itself has a very short half-life, so I would imagine that the user would only have to wait a day or so before starting their subs to avoid precipitated withdrawal.

Best of luck and I hope this is of some help to you...

Hey Six. I detoxed cold in the hospital off of a ridiculous I.V. Fent habit. I've been clean over 70 days now. I'll spare the details, but if you want, check out my recovery post in Sober Living.

It's hard to guage with this shit. It's so fucking volatile due to it's potency, which in turn makes it extremely inconsistent, even from dealer to dealer within the same region. Weaker stuff I've used when insufflating would have me near 1000 mgs of oxy a day with 3 or 4 bundles. I.V.'ng even stronger stuff at peak use had my tolerance at or around 10,000 mgs oxy a day. 600mgs of prescription oxy taken all at once barely took wd's away for an hour or two. Nasty fucking shit huh?

Obviously this is an extreme case, but I've been rudley awakened too many times when I thought I would be good jumping from any type of Fent use, to X amount of a "normal" opiate for maintenance or to get by for a few days.

Also, I'm as confused as you are. I think the fucking awful fact that there are so many analogues and diff RC's out there, no one know's what the fuck is going on, especially when it comes to the details pertaining to "heroin's" pharmacological function.

The strong Fent I've used definitely breaks through the buprenorphine when injected, but the effects are greatly diminished. Also the bupe caused extreme precipiated wd's when I took it 20 plus hours without use. This leads me to believe Fent is stronger than bupe, but there is still competition for receptors, especially as wd symptoms begin. Seems to linger around way longer for such a short acting drug. I fucked myself 2 times this way, believing enough time has passed. "I know what I'm doing. I'm an opiate veteran!" Wrong. Soooo wrong lol.

Bottom line is don't over think it. Just get yourself down to as little as possible, and make the jump. You might find half a sub helps you 24 hrs after you stop. Why do you want to stop btw? Do you plan on staying on subs a while?

Everything is relative when considering the timeline for initiating treatment with Buprenorphine in an Opioid-dependent individual. It doesn't really matter how long the Opioid lasts, how potent it is etc. You are going to need to be in full withdrawal prior to administering the first dose of Buprenorphine, that is, if you would like to guarantee you will not experience precipitated withdrawal. Basically, you're right that Fentanyl is a shorter-acting Opioid, but what this means typically, is that you will be experiencing a more intense withdrawal, with a shorter duration. Either way, there will be pain.

5) Some sources saying one should switch to a different drug for tapering purposes, such as morphine (or dare I say heroin, or oxycodone, or vicodin, anything else) - the only thing it was contra-indicated for was people with opioid abuse problems, naturally, but they advised that for people on fentanyl patches (yes, your doctor saying 'hey here's some morphine to help you get off the fentanyl, then we go from there').

this. do this. you have a bunch of kratom? doubt itl touch fent wd but maybe you could switch to oxy or whatever for a couple days then take kratom another day or two just to ease into the subs and to give the fent time to clear your system. only time i went from fent to sub i ended up in precip wd, not the worst case ever but still shitty. picture the height of dopesickness for just an hour or two, thats how long it was for me. fent wd is no joke, if you say oxys hold you then that makes more sense to use for jumping onto sub than trying to combat fentanyl with buprenorphine.

I was taking fenti for just a week and heroin for about two months. I have been on and off stuff for years and I have taken Suboxone several times. This time like I said I did Fentanyl all week I took the subs 15 hours after and I had the WORST experience of my life! Was thrown into the worst withdrawals EVER! I thought that I would not be able to take any opiates cause they would be blocked but I did two caps of H and a cap of Fentanyl and it went away! Omg plzzzzz whoever reads this, wait 24 hrs because the Fentanyl stays in your system!!! U will get sick and I don’t pray that on anyone omg!!!!

So .. I've kicked a snorting fent habit. Did 6 month of acetyfentanyl usually in overdose offset with meth on fuck long runs way down the rabbit hole. Damn there were some awesome buzzes in that .. but fuck me was there a pay back.

I remember looking at the morphine equivalence chart and assuming I was taking crappy strength fent working out I was pertty near the bottom line. I'm not sure tapering is going to be doable with other drugs .. tho you can try. I remember taking H and getting absolutely nothing from it .. the sickness still hits fucking hard. I doubt you can take anywhere near enough methadone without it being toxic either. You'd need to talk to a pro about that.

I kicked second attempt by doing a straight switch to subutex. It won't block all the WDs but it will make them doable if you've a mind to. The WDs without subutex are fucking bat shit crazy .. you genuinely could die from dehydration on them. I was completely insensible and just constantly projectile vomiting ... and the pain ... the pain overwhelmed all sense meaning form place and thing ... it was a major fucking trip .. bit like the K hole.

When I did it first time succesfully I waited 16 hours and then snorted about 25mg of bupe .. really quickly. Was a minor precipitated withdrawal but it was over very fast. With fent you probably won't make 24 hours as it clears from the system so fast and the WD is CRAZY as fuck even at the 12 hour mark. There's no need to switch to other drugs first if you're going to bupe - in fact some people recommend using fent so there is no massive long extended WD to sit through before you can do the bupe .. it's horses for courses.

Settle in for the nightmare .. you'll need immodium and lots of it and make some rehyrdration solution / make sure you're somewhere safe.

You don't have to wait for 16 hours first of course as you can just take the precipitated withdrawal and it will only last for a few hours. You will lose the ability to do sub-bucual so rail as much as you can and wait for the pain wave .... I've done that .. it sure is fun! but you can be functional a few hours later. Just remember you will survive and it will get better soon! and have a sitter!

Sorry to post twice in a row .. I've got the attention span of someone with far too much drug abuse in their past.

I would like to second a few sentiments in the thread though ..

Firstly .. don't overthink it - just try and get through it. You're gonna need to wait till the fen t leaves you're system before you start the bupe. It will hurt so try not to overthink it and just dive in - if you can wait 24 hours great, but 16 hours is good too and precipiated withdrawal passes FAST (you just take 8mg/ tab bupe ever 1/2h hours till it goes). You can't really overdose on bupe.

Which is the second pint. Think about what you want to get from going clean. After a run in with fent I'd strongly recommend you go on sub maintenance or if you don't like subs then methadone or something else. Just to keep you off the fent.

If like me you don't do socially normalised drug use then get to two weeks clean and let yourself start taking H. That worked pretty well for me given my objective was not to be fucking up on fent.

After my fent run I actually really liked H and after I'd taken a few weeks off fent and all other opiates (opiate tolerance resets FAST) I really enjoyed the mild non-addicitive no withdrawal heroin buzz - it was really comforting. At least - that's what it feels like after fent.

Well .. I'm just about to be going through the whole fent WD thing again, but that was because of supply problems and the fact I get allergic athsma from H. I'm gonna try methadone this time.

Not sure how to respond to a fent based post as this sh** is akin to playing Russian-roulette (and, yeah... my brother and I did the Rr thing as teens; MF [my bro] put the .357 to his head and then swung it on another friend who ducked as he pulled the trigger (BOOOOM!)... man those were the times :eek: ). Hahahaha
Anyway....
Dealing with chronic pain and general dislike of people (which I contribute to early childhood trauma): Opioids and benzos seemed a natural path and I walked it for decades. Fent was never a favorite but used it with decent results. Hate WDs, though, so always thought I would be on 'em (opi+benz) as they were my only options... until I dug/lurked around in BL looking for anything that may be a valid alternative as without insurance the money was always just gone.
After procrastination for a couple years, reading through others experiences here and remembering something my wife used to talk about when we first met 24 years ago; something clicked and fu**ing paid off in a big way. It was one word I kept seeing come up and when I giggled it came to be the same as what the Thai farmers employed as medicine (only not called the same). WTF? Is this what the wife (a Thai farm girl) has been telling me for decades and I blew off as witch-craft, folk-lore, voodoo or just plain BS? Simple answer: Yep. She calls it maeng-da (or in the west... kratom).
Although I do still occasionally chase after morpheus and his/her pet dragons I did get most of my life back and even more of my sanity.
To make a long story short... try to get away from fent if possible and maybe find a safer alternative that works for you. Dying is easy: Let's see how long we can take the madness we create. :sleep:

Hey Six. I detoxed cold in the hospital off of a ridiculous I.V. Fent habit. I've been clean over 70 days now. I'll spare the details, but if you want, check out my recovery post in Sober Living.

It's hard to guage with this shit. It's so fucking volatile due to it's potency, which in turn makes it extremely inconsistent, even from dealer to dealer within the same region. Weaker stuff I've used when insufflating would have me near 1000 mgs of oxy a day with 3 or 4 bundles. I.V.'ng even stronger stuff at peak use had my tolerance at or around 10,000 mgs oxy a day. 600mgs of prescription oxy taken all at once barely took wd's away for an hour or two. Nasty fucking shit huh?

Obviously this is an extreme case, but I've been rudley awakened too many times when I thought I would be good jumping from any type of Fent use, to X amount of a "normal" opiate for maintenance or to get by for a few days.

Also, I'm as confused as you are. I think the fucking awful fact that there are so many analogues and diff RC's out there, no one know's what the fuck is going on, especially when it comes to the details pertaining to "heroin's" pharmacological function.

The strong Fent I've used definitely breaks through the buprenorphine when injected, but the effects are greatly diminished. Also the bupe caused extreme precipiated wd's when I took it 20 plus hours without use. This leads me to believe Fent is stronger than bupe, but there is still competition for receptors, especially as wd symptoms begin. Seems to linger around way longer for such a short acting drug. I fucked myself 2 times this way, believing enough time has passed. "I know what I'm doing. I'm an opiate veteran!" Wrong. Soooo wrong lol.

Bottom line is don't over think it. Just get yourself down to as little as possible, and make the jump. You might find half a sub helps you 24 hrs after you stop. Why do you want to stop btw? Do you plan on staying on subs a while?

You took 600mg of oxy for a day and it barely took the withdrawal away? Fuck. Im so scared. I been snorting fentanyl but only like 3 folds a day. My plan was to get some 30mg oxys and use those for a few days till I knew the fentanly was out of my system to start suboxone again. Do you think this plan will work? Im worried now that the oxys arent strong enough and I cant find real H without it being cut with fent. I want to find something that will hold me over so I can take the subs without worry about precip withdrawals from fentanyl.

If you can use some 30s for 48 hours instead on fent then you will not go through precipitated withdrawal- period.
I myself cannot find any-- I have appointment tomorrow at the sub clinic for induction. So I'll be totally fucked (maybe) it will only be 29-30 hours after last use.

Any idea as to what happens if you go into precipitated withdrawal at a sub doctors office ?

Reducing to a short acting Opiate does make the induction a better experience. I'm lucky to only need 9-12 hours before inducting... again. I know each time, it feels like a game of Russian roulette. I'm tired of being scared and in pain. You?

I still don't understand why, despite fent being so short acting, it needs more time than other opioids before starting bupe to avoid PWDs.
Can anyone explain this???
Basically you should wait until you are in serious withdrawals (there is something called the COWS scale which you can Google, and when you hit a certain score on that, it's safe to start bupe).
So yeah, time is less of a factor, wait until you're a wretching, shitting, sweaty, snotty mess beforehand is my rule of thumb.
Good luck and well done for finally deciding to make that first step!!
One pointer: wait until you are clearly in severe withdrawal, and however temptitit is to start with a big dose of bupe, don't! Start with 2mg max, or even better 0.5-1mg. Bupe is a very strong opioid, and is often prescribed in silly high doses by doctors who have very little training and first hand experience with it. Starting on low doses is WAY less likely to put you in PWDs too!
Take care mate!

fent binds to your receptors like a motherfucker. stronger than morphine, stronger than bupe.
theres a reason hospitals use fentanyl as anesthetic (because its so effective) but also give it to people stabilized on buprenorphine during surgery.
nothing else works nearly as well