• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Addiction Kicked opiates, crack & benzos.... Cannabis is the hardest + DVLA problems

geekgrl

Bluelighter
After 2 years and building up a nice £1000 a month heroin and crack habit. My mental health workers told the DVLA and I'm expecting a ban and drug test to get my licence back.

Opiates was hard. It took me 4 attempts and some severe bloodymindedness to do it.

Now being a 20 year daily weed smoker I know it's going to be a long haul for quitting weed if I ever want my licence back. My fat is going to be full of stored metabolites and I reckon 30 days at least to get a clear urine test. I use it for chronic pain, but I don't want to digress, although a plan b is to get a private doc to prescribe it to me. I've smoked so much more coming off opiates but I did it. I can't even do a day off weed.

Any advice on breaking a 1/2 to 1 oz a month 20 year habit? This is so psychologically engrained in my life and affects my mental and physical health.

I hate mental health services for doing this when I'm clean of everything. Its just making me relapse and I'm sure that's going to.make life harder for me.

Im in the exact same position, heroin benzos crack methadone etc for 6 years just got off the opiates a month and a bit ago and weed is different. I think its partly just the fact that we kind of need at least 1 vice, when you get rid of all the rest there was always weed you know, now what to replace weed with? I think I know the answer is something like a mix of exercise and good relationships for me. I also know that I still havent come to the conclusion that weed is something that should be completely cut out of my life, and that effects my ability to stop I think, I cant even seem to stop for more than a couple days, I mean I probably could but because I dont think its that bad of a thing I don't try as hard as I need to.

I also started smoking more when I stopped the opiates, went from 1 gram a day to 2

I hate mental health services for doing this when I'm clean of everything. Its just making me relapse and I'm sure that's going to.make life harder for me.

It's counter-intuitive and counterproductive, but that's the agenda. I don't think these people are interested in preserving your mental health - they just want you to keep coming to them because that is what justifies their existence. Sad but true.

I’m sorry I’ve no proper advice for you but you’ll not piss clean for probably 60-90 days due to your decades of use.

The problem might not be the weed itself, but kicking off the habit. Many people swap drugs to other drugs, i have done it myself.
Swapping speed to benzos, benzos to opiates, then opiates to benzos and then back to opiates.
It might be the psychological need to get high. It makes everything easier. Being sober is hard.
You should be ready to sort out the feeling which you have blocked by getting high and be ready with swords and axes to fight the problems you have waiting for you.
By using drugs you didn't destroy your problems, you got new ones and the old ones are waiting for the sober you to come sort them out.
I really don't believe in psychologists, because i have had myself bad experiences, but i would say that at least try it out.
Best luck to you!
Best regards - DMW

well done geekgrl! been wondering how you're doing. that is awful about the DMV. unfortunately i don't know what to say, i couldn't kick weed for ages, smoked every day for over a decade and only got off it when i got bad on teh dark cos i just liked the dark more. that is fucking awful that your mental health workers told them now. i don't know if they are functioning now but i'd maybe trey and ask at CAB, a positive weed test does not mean you're under the influence and if you've never had any issues driving surely that should work in your favour?

Green is not a drug, in sane people eyes at least. For me it wasn't the meds or detox but weed who helpt me further.

I’m sorry I’ve no proper advice for you but you’ll not piss clean for probably 60-90 days due to your decades of use.
This also worries me massively. I've read up loads on it and every thing is against me on this, I'm overweight, female, on meds that could make it take longer, I'm hypothyroid which means my metabolism is slow. I'm sure there were more too. I'm wondering if I can get it prescribed medically privately, might be worth a shot as I've got several chronic pain conditions. I'm clutching at straws here. Without my licence I'm going to lose my new jobs and technically house bound because I can't walk (disabled). Had to cancel my holidays trips away, visits to friends.

I'm so sorry for sounding so pathetic and 'poor me' here but I am literally devastated. And I only have myself to blame. Took drugs and now I'm paying the price. I hate myself so much for doing this.

don't hate yourself for it. i know its difficult but this isn't your fault. seriously contact CAB see if there's anything you can do. it is unreasonable to give you such a short time frame. make it clear you've never driven under the influence (even if you have, i get uncomfortable with this stuff but my therapist told me 'if it aint practical, it aint spiritual' and i think that applies here).

well done geekgrl! been wondering how you're doing. that is awful about the DMV. unfortunately i don't know what to say, i couldn't kick weed for ages, smoked every day for over a decade and only got off it when i got bad on teh dark cos i just liked the dark more. that is fucking awful that your mental health workers told them now. i don't know if they are functioning now but i'd maybe trey and ask at CAB, a positive weed test does not mean you're under the influence and if you've never had any issues driving surely that should work in your favour?
Thank you hunni. Before you congratulate me I've relapsed 3 times now which I feel awful about, but when it runs out I take several days off inbetween. I've done 2 months I'm super proud but need to stop havin any at all. I don't feel want it much at all, but this situation just made me feel like I want to get smashed and forget about it all, now I'm trying to cut down weed and I can't even manage half a day.

I was doing so well l, I really was. I've spoken to my care coordinator community mental health services they haven't told the DVLA they got advice, I've got to tell them apparently.

i'm not surprised it made you want to get smashed, it would make me want to get smashed.

does that mean they haven't told the DVLA?

Why the fuck should I have to tell the DVLA that I took some drugs, it's fucking ridiculous. I've never had an accident and I dont drive smashed. I've never been in trouble with the police or ever had points on my licence.

i'm not surprised it made you want to get smashed, it would make me want to get smashed.

does that mean they haven't told the DVLA?
No they haven't, my CCO said it was anonymous, but they want me to do it and have sent me a link to the form. I've been told they will be expecting the DVLA to get in touch.

Thing is if I tell the DVLA they will ban me for 12 months because it's heroin. Their website clearly states that you have to test negative for all drugs including cannabis.

Might as well get smashed for a year. Its my own stupid fault for speaking to drug and alcohol services. I was feeling low, thought I needed help and they told mental health services. I let them. It's all completely my fault.

Last edited:
Do you know someone this has happened to? I've been doing my reading and it seems that this is a few outliers. However most od the studies I've read have had mostly men as subjects. TIA X

it is not your fault!! you were right to reach out to drug services, they shouldn't be putting your livelihood in jeopardy. its just fucked.

can you not just tell them that as you've been clean for 2 months and are putting work in to maintain your recovery, you do not see the need to inform them now? and further, that informing them now would be detrimental to your mental health, and their role is to protect both you and the general public.

it is not your fault!! you were right to reach out to drug services, they shouldn't be putting your livelihood in jeopardy. its just fucked.

can you not just tell them that as you've been clean for 2 months and are putting work in to maintain your recovery, you do not see the need to inform them now? and further, that informing them now would be detrimental to your mental health, and their role is to protect both you and the general public.
That's exactly what I told my psychiatrist :( pethaps that's why he asked DVLA for advice rather than just telling me to inform them.

Do you know someone this has happened to? I've been doing my reading and it seems that this is a few outliers. However most od the studies I've read have had mostly men as subjects. TIA X
I work in a lab, not doing urine analysis but if you’ve been using for decades then it’s going to be a lot longer than 30 days to clear. You know yourself the situation with how fat stores THC. I just don’t want you to think you’re all good at 30 days because it won’t be that, it’ll be up to 90 days.

“After smoking of a single cannabis cigarette, serum Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) levels are typically below detection limits within 12 hr 3, whereas its primary metabolite, 11-nor-9-carboxy-Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THCCOOH), may be detectable in serum for about 1 week and in urine for about 2 weeks 4. In chronic cannabis users, however, THC and THCCOOH may be detectable in blood for up to 1 month 57, and THCCOOH in urine for up to 3 months 1,8,9. The delayed cannabinoid excretion in chronic cannabis users is believed to be caused by accumulation and subsequent slow release of THC from fat tissue 10,11.”

From: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4270258/

Heavy smokers usually fill the void of life with weed, when it is no longer present, the void makes itself alive again, what will fill it?

Another classic life mess created by myself for myself.

I could discharge myself from mental health team, change my gp and maybe move house away from here? Or try convince them I made it all up and don't take drugs after all?

Failing that take the 12 months off driving and enjoy explaining that to my parents!