• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Ketamine Kidney/Bladder Damage Poll - How much were you taking?

IF you have sustained kidney/bladder damage, what was your usage like?

• Over 2 years of use. Daily (500mg - 2g)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Over 2 years of use. Daily (< 500mg)

• Over 2 years of use. 1g per 1-3 weeks

• 1-2 years of use. Daily (> 2g)

• 1-2 years of use. Up to 1g per month

• Under 1 year of use. Daily (> 2g)

• Under 1 year of use. Daily (< 500mg)

• Total voters

Jesusgreen

Bluelight Crew
As I'm sure many of you are aware, one common side effect of regular Ketamine use seems to be kidney and/or bladder damage, this can range from mild to severe, but one thing that is not really clear is how much Ketamine is too much, and when problems are likely to start occurring in the majority of users.

Based on this, it'd be good to get some information from Ketamine users.

If you have sustained kidney/bladder damage, please answer the poll along with posting any information that may also be relevant. If the option you selected is rather far from your actual usage, e.g. you select Under 1 year of use and you've only been using for 3 weeks, or you select Daily (< 500mg) and you've only been using 50mg a day, then please post a reply in the thread with which option you picked, along with more accurate usage figures.

If you have not sustained kidney/bladder damage from Ketamine use, and would like to contribute, please do NOT answer the poll, instead post a reply to this thread with your usage amount and the time period over which you have been using.

Some symptoms of kidney/bladder damage caused by Ketamine use are as follows:
Blood in urine
Pain when urinating
Decreased bladder capacity
Urge to urinate more frequently
General irritation of the bladder
Kidney pain
Kidney stones

If you have only just started experiencing any of these symptoms and suspect it is unrelated, please give it a couple of weeks, get checked out by a doctor, and ensure it was not just another problem such as an unrelated urinary tract infection.

Thanks!

Last edited:
If you have any problems with your prostate, unfortunately ketamine seems to aggravate them big time. Acidic drinks + Ketamine is an instant inflammation and will leave you feeling like you have a piece of barbed wire stuck up in there somewhere when you pee.

Unfortunately this leaves ketamine for myself (having prostatitis) as a bit of a write off. Unfortunate as it was seeming to work and help curb my mood swings, being a Dopamine Reputake Inhibitor that is.

Anyone else here suffering from Ketamine kidney and/or bladder damage and want to contribute to the poll? This could be really helpful to get a picture of how much use is generally too much with this substance.

I haven't had my kidneys checked, but I'm sure they are shot.

I was using for 4 years or so. For about 2 of them, it was no less than 2g a day, at most 12g....regularly 6g. I went through nearly 100g a week, twice. I stopped sniffing because I developed a septal perforation which was the size of toothpick but now like cigarette. I started doing IM shots....worked myself up to 2g all at once. 4 needles with as much as I could pack in there before it gelled up.

I have pissed blood multiple times, horrible k pains, and couldn't leave the house for a month because I had to piss every 5 seconds. I very much felt like I was on the edge of having my bladder removed :-\

I haven't used it like that in over a year. I have no ill effects that I am aware of. I still would like to know the damage I've done internally. I have used 3g or so over weekend once in a while. I feel the burning sensation when I pee as I did when I was using shit tons....not 3g over the course of a few days. I notice there is a lot of film in the urine when I use it. I've pissed in bottles and left it over night. In the morning, it's all cloudy like bacteria was growing in it or something :-\ I believe that to be my kidneys not filtering properly.

I have done more than you can possibly imagine :\ :(

Total time of usage: 3.5 years; of which almost daily for one year; I'd say I use between 2 and 6 days a week, sometimes longer periodes and occasional breaks of a few days; usage ranges from 0.5 to 4 grams a day; usually around 3 grams a day (yes that's seriously insane amounts of K; tolerance goes up fast if you do it constantly). I never had ány problems for atleast 3 years but since half a year ago, when amounts got above 2 grams a day (that's mainly when issues started, before that I got away with it) the first issues started. Mostly K-cramps; I get them if I binge for on more then 4 grams a day for more then 48 hours in a row and mainly when I eat fatty foods; fish seems to be an instant trigger; if I avoid fatty foods it's much less likely to happen but can still do so nonetheless. Some weird tips that can help I found are: strong painkillers; diclofenac helps, opiates help, over the counter painkillers do not help, taking ketamine helps but makes the K-cramps stay.. sodium bicarbonate; baking soda, in water seems to help although that might be placebo; I figured due to K being rather acidic it can't harm to have a weak base substance in your stomach too even though K-cramps come from the gall-bladder.

Bladder issues only happened tree times now; first time when I did too much K in a weekend of LSD, speed and no water. Symtoms are having a constant pressure to pee, peeing feels as if urine is very hot and made of crushed glass, sharp pain, pain is owrst just before and right after urination; bladder contant reduced. Drinking water constantly helps; drinking coffee makes it much, much worse and for some reason it can heal up in a few days if I cut back on the K a bit and watch my water intake. The first time it happened I found minor amounts of blood in my urine for two days. The two times it happened after this it was the same pain but no blood, second time healed up after a 3 day break, third time started a few days ago and has not yet healed and I suffer. Painkillers that work for K-cramps still don't fully help for this and other then 'water, constantly' and 'cut down on the K' nothing else seems to help.

Keep amounts under 0.5-1 grams a day; or usage to weekends or only once a month or so and you should be fine; daily use gives a horrible tollerance and too much K is too harsh on the bladder. People be careful, don't do what I did.

I literally just posted a topic on the matter could a moderator move my thread into this one?? Thanks

I haven't had my kidneys checked, but I'm sure they are shot.

I was using for 4 years or so. For about 2 of them, it was no less than 2g a day, at most 12g....regularly 6g. I went through nearly 100g a week, twice. I stopped sniffing because I developed a septal perforation which was the size of toothpick but now like cigarette. I started doing IM shots....worked myself up to 2g all at once. 4 needles with as much as I could pack in there before it gelled up.

I have pissed blood multiple times, horrible k pains, and couldn't leave the house for a month because I had to piss every 5 seconds. I very much felt like I was on the edge of having my bladder removed :-\

I haven't used it like that in over a year. I have no ill effects that I am aware of. I still would like to know the damage I've done internally. I have used 3g or so over weekend once in a while. I feel the burning sensation when I pee as I did when I was using shit tons....not 3g over the course of a few days. I notice there is a lot of film in the urine when I use it. I've pissed in bottles and left it over night. In the morning, it's all cloudy like bacteria was growing in it or something :-\ I believe that to be my kidneys not filtering properly.

I have done more than you can possibly imagine :\ :(

Sounds like more than the guy from the natgeo documentary. Is snorting more stressful on the bladder than IM or IV?

So how mutch can I take and get away scott free

Stick to Bumps is all i can suggest, maybe lines arent a good idea if you wish to err on the side of caution.

Lines for very rare use maybe once every 50-60 days or w/e or bumps if its more constant (think raves etc)

I'm 99% certain my bladder has shrunk from my recent binges.

Having to get up in the night and go for a piss is something I never had to do in all my life... Until now.

It's not bad, but it is noticeable.

Btw my use is sporadic and my preferred ROA is intramuscular injection.

I take long breaks between K use and usually only use 500 mg to 1 gram when I feel the urge. I often also use MXE but again spacing out between use. Less than 1 gram of either a month probably less than 1 gram every 2 months would be more accurate. Sometime I just use say 200 mg usually in combination with a psychedelic drug for an entire evening and then leave the remaining 800 mg on the shelf so to speak for between a week or even a couple of months. I drink plenty of fluids (H20) like 1.5 -2 liters a day. Exercise for a couple of hours a few days a week (usually skateboarding lol) and eat reasonably healthy. Never had any issues from K/MXE despite using off and on for over 15 years now. I think moderation, good diet and most importantly hydration/flushing with H20 is vital.

I used ketamine for about one year. At the most I would be taking it once or twice every week, or once every two weeks. Not very much at all. I've done some really serious damage to my bladder which has not got any better after two years of abstinence. My symptoms are severe, I need to pee around every half hour and it is rare that I will sleep for more than one hour.

I've used Ketamine for about a year, before that MXE for some 3-4 years. The last months I've used maybe 1-2 g's of Ketamine a week (mostly on weekends). So far I haven't noticed any problems. However in my case SSRI's have impacted on my peeing, even after not using them for a while. I may have some bladder issues but they aren't related to Ketamine.

Does the bladder issue apply to MXE too? (just out of interest)

Does the bladder issue apply to MXE too? (just out of interest)
I don't think anyone can answer that accurately at this point. All we can do is speak hypothetically and anecdotally. Many people think the bladder risk is lower for MXE because even if it is as damaging as Ketamine gram for gram, we don't have people doing grams of MXE every day because of the increased potency and duration. However, we also can't rule out that it is harder on the body than K, gram for gram.

i know a dude who has been using 1 gram a day pretty much every day since they were 17. He started at 16.
I'm not worried about his bladder. I'm worried about his brain.

I was a moderate user of ketamine for a couple of years, never every day but every few weeks to months. The periods when I would be doing it I would use about 200-500 mg in a day, some times a few days in a row or until it was all gone. I recall once getting 3.5 grams and using it for well over a week with only a few days off.
I have experienced a sharp pain when urinating and an urge to urinate more frequently after some of the later binges, as well as mild abdominal pains. After stopping use, the symptoms reduced and disappeared.
With MXE, which I used much less frequently than ketamine, as well as several years after using any ketamine, I experienced a need to urinate more frequently and a decreased bladder capacity, but no pains. Again these symptoms went away when use ceased.
I think I am among the unlucky group who suffers these sort of things from minimal use. I have seen much worse 'K-pains' in people who have suffered all of the symptoms listed in the first post, but their use was tremendous compared to mine.

Voted in this by mistake - I've never suffered any bladder damage from K.

I've experienced Kidney and bladder problems for as long as I can remember, when I was young I had about three kidney infections a year and when i became sexually active I still experience around 3 Kidney infections a year usually hospitalized for them and around 3-4 UTIs a month, all before I had ever even tried Ketamine. I have only been using K for around a year now, when i first started it was only on special occasions like shows or parties, doing around a half gram in the span of a night but only every once in a while. It was about the third time I used K that I put together I had gotten a Kidney infection the first two times and this time just a UTI. I researched the drug more and learned of its detrimental damage to the kidney and badder and with my history grew concerned. But my love for the high kept me increasing my dosage and using more frequently. A friend told me you can avoid kidney damage by spitting out your drip so i conducted a little experiment. I peed in a bottle after one night of doing about two grams and let it sit and it developed all kinds of bacteria i was no stranger to because its similar to what happens when you have a kidney infection. Sure enough that week I had a UTI. After finished the antibiotics for the UTI I did about two grams again, this time continuously spitting in a water bottle, I also peed in a bottle. The spit grew bacteria extremely similar to the way my urine had before. this time my urine still had some traces of filmy bacteria but significantly less than the first time. I never got a UTI that time and I know theres no real science behind that but sense i began spitting my drip I have still had the occasional UTI but wayyyyy less than i was having and so far no Kidney infections! I am currently attempting to lower my K use and I still think the dangers of K are very real and cannot be completely avoided by any tricks but so far i did find this helpful and its reduced my infections and K cramps.

BEWARE of THIS DRUG!!!!!!!
I just stumbled on this forum and right away knew I had to post.
I am a young woman, I been off this drug for exactly 10 years, I don't drink, smoke or do any other drugs.
Right now I don't have both of my kidneys, my bladder was augmented, twice. I'm dialysis dependent and waiting for a kidney transplant. That is the result of my Ketamine use. I was absolutely healthy before and nobody in my family had any bladder/ kidney problems.

I tried Ketamine for the first time when I was 15 years old when I was on ecstasy. I would take few bumps on the weekends at first. By the time I was 17, I wasn't taking any other drug but Ketamine, again only on the weekends ( about 1-2 liquid bottles, which is about 1-2 grams cooked)
I started getting urinary track infections. Sometimes I wanted to pee but couldn't start. My UTIs became chronic UTIs. By the time I was 18-19, I was using almost every day, about a gram a day. I started getting bad bladder pains, I had to pee every few minutes. I peed blood, almost every time and started getting kidney pains ( back pains). By the time I was 20 I had stents put in both of my urethras and I was scheduled for my first bladder augmentation. I was still using almost every day, this time as much as I could, sometimes a gram to few grams a day. I was in constant pain.
I had my 1st bladder augmentation at 20 then a second one at 21. My bladder shrunk and I had a lot of scar tissue. The doctor had to make another bladder out of my intestines and connect it to my existing bladder. After the bladder augmentation I could no longer urinate on my own and had to self cath ( using a catheter).
I was still using Ketamine after both of those surgeries.
By the time I was 22. I was 84lbs ( I'm 5'7 and my normal weight is around 120) I spent more time in the hospital than I did at home. I was getting kidney infections, had a seizure, pancreatitis, my liver enzymes were high and doctors thought I was dying. Mostly it was my kidneys.
I got sober on July 9th 2004.
Soon after that I stopped having pain in my bladder. I would still get UTIs and kidney infections but only few times a year.
But the damage was done and last year my kidney function dropped to less than 10%. Through the years I had to change stents every 4 months and that kept my kidneys draining better than on their own.
Even though I was off the drug for years my infections haven't stopped and my kidneys were already really damaged. Due to that damage and infections both of my kidneys failed were removed March 2014. I was put on dialysis.
Currently I'm waiting for a transplant ( I have a donor). I still have some infection where I had my kidneys and been on IV antibiotics since my surgery. The doctors can't risk a new kidney and need to clear the infection before they can transplant me. It will probably be few more months.
I can no longer have a life I used to have, do the things I once enjoyed. Every day is a struggle.
I blame my Ketamine use for all my health problems. I used a lot in the end, few grams a day. But I also would take a month breaks here and there. And even though I stopped 10 years ago, I still had consequences.
Everyone that I know who used this drug had bladder/ kidney issues. I don't know what happens in the future, I can only hope I get better.
Getting off Ketamine was the hardest thing I've done. I was so mentally addicted to it ( it was not physical addiction).
I hate drugs and what they do to people. Stop before it's too late.
There are AA/ NA groups all over the world as well as Rehabilitation centers.
If you need advise you can contact me.