• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Mental Health Ketamine for depression advice

xena1975

Bluelighter
Hi posted somewhere else didn’t realise there is a mh section. I have seen lots of info on ketamine for depression and you can legally pay to get an infusion in my county, England now. But it’s really expensive and know where near me.
My depression is pretty severe I have had it since a teenager and I’m also diagnosed with autism and have social anxiety. Things seem hard and I wonder what the point in life is often if I’m this miserable. I’ve tried loads of anti depressants from the doctor that don’t really help at all.
I want to try ketamine but can’t afford to go a clinic. I’m thinking of trying it at home and buying it. I have a friend who can sit with me and will be sober. I’m unsure how much to take or what regime to follow. I wondered if anyone else here has tried this? Also I’ll probably sniff it. I’ve bought some scales, test kit to use.
Thanks

I think it’s a really awful idea to start using illegal ketamine for your mental health issues. You aren’t just dealing with depression for a start.

Street ketamine can be ANYTHING, you’ve no experience of what ket looks like, smells like or how it’s supposed to affect you. It would be incredibly unwise to dose yourself with an unknown substance. Yes there are test kits but they will show up for ketamine even with a cut of something nasty

You also don’t need to pay for an infusion in England. You can go to a psychiatrist and ask for the ketamine nasal spray. It’s been put out on licence and im pretty sure is available now. This is an article from dec 2019.

Please please rethink this idea. It won’t end well.

I think the closest way to get to the infusion modality result is to do bumps of 10mg or maybe 25mg every hour or so for 6-12 hours, then repeat this the next week? With one fewer bump each week? Then do a monthly maintenance dose.

What works for me for depression is just casually sniffing a gram or two. I've talked to clinics who use 150mg+ IM and find the hallucinatory effects to correlate with outcome (or they were just trying to sell me) so apparently even the khole is desirable for depression

I think its a great idea so long as you know you have good pure ketamine, and not much can go wrong its very safe. Have a sitter, if not, wear a helmet, do not swim or drive. Simple as that

Its not a very addictive drug in the sense that it will ovettake your biological survival mechanisms or cause you to seek it out, but it can be hard to keep in stock for monthly maintenance :p

But yeah its nearly a miracle cure albeit temporary

Last edited:
albeit temporary

There are lots are drugs that are made for depression/anxiety that have been well studied and widely used.

I'm curious how many combos you tried. It really can be a crap shoot, or could save lives. It's worth a shot.

But if all else fails, i too am curious about other options.

Be safe and think it through.

There are lots are drugs that are made for depression/anxiety that have been well studied and widely used.

I'm curious how many combos you tried. It really can be a crap shoot, or could save lives. It's worth a shot.

But if all else fails, i too am curious about other options.

Be safe and think it through.
Temporarily meaning one week to one month from a single dose

Following this regimen I should take 285 mg the first session because of how much I weigh. Does that sound right? (Article from Reddit)

Ketamine as a powerful antidepressant: if you have to try it, this is how

**tl/dr:** It works. It seems quite safe and comfortable if you use very little in a controlled setting.

**The drug:** An increasing number of studies are finding that [ketamine has antidepressant effects](http://www.ketamine.com/antidepressant-potential.html). It is powerful, quick-acting and the antidepressant effect can last for days or weeks while the side-effects pass within minutes. Those willing to buy illegal drugs find it fairly readily available and quite cheap. So naturally, some depressed people and their friends are wondering whether it might be worth a try. [This thread](http://www.reddit.com/r/Drugs/comments/au1wv/ketamine_and_depression/) is an example. Offline and off the record, I find a lot of people are very interested but completely uninformed.

**Me:** I work in Ketamine research and know the science of it better than most people outside the field. In my spare time, I have for years aided drug users i.e. I teach safer use, help people quit, guide trippers etc. I have a little training and experience with cognitive-behavioral therapy but am not a licensed therapist.

**What I did:** I have helped two depressed people (one with chronic major depression, one with seasonal affective disorder) who had no Ketamine experience use an experimental treatment protocol I designed based on the existing literature. Both experienced definite improvement. Neither experienced the addiction issues that others have reported. I outline the method here and hope to help others reduce the great risks that are always present in psychiatric intervention, more so with experimental drugs and even more so when it is done non-professionally.

**Legal issues:** Obviously, this is illegal. In most jurisdictions, everyone involved can go to jail for this. I wouldn't advise on it if I wasn't convinced that for depressed people, Ketamine is even more of a godsend than marijuana is for MS patients.

**Very important:** The antidepressive properties of Ketamine take effect at doses that are below even the lowest of recreational doses. "Club doses" are around 0.5mg/kg, i.e. 40 mg for a 80 kilo person, or higher with habituation. "K-hole doses" are around 1mg/kg, anaesthetic doses can be around 5mg/kg. The following method keeps drug levels below 0.2mg/kg. This avoids almost all of the effects Ketamine is normally known for, especially addiction, and according to both the clinical trials and my own experience is enough for the antidepressant effect.

**How to:**

* *Schedule:* Do the following once a day over five days. It is preferable to space the sessions two days apart, to allow more time for integration of the experience. If you do it every day for five days, the depressed person needs be in a fairly stress-free environment for this period, i.e. on a relaxed holiday (not Burning Man).

* *The "patient" (henceforth referred to as the sad person):* Ketamine is being researched chiefly as a medication for very severe, treatment-resistant cases of major depression and the depressive episodes of bipolar disorder. It seems to work at least as well for less severe mood disorders. I wouldn't recommend it for a sad person who had any history of psychotic or schizophreniform symptoms because Ketamine at much higher doses can very occasionally trigger psychotic episodes. Existing medications should be continued. No recreational drug use during this period - a sad person who can't agree to that shouldn't try this. Yes that means not even pot or alcohol. I do not know how previous experience with Ketamine would affect the results.

* *Required amount:* Each of the five session uses five doses of 0.1mg/kg, so overall, a 100 kilo person would need quarter of a gram. Adjust for the sad person's body weight and do not buy more than you need. Depending on your location, it might be so cheap you could get it in exchange for a beer. S-Ketamine (a chemical variant) is two to three times more potent for some of the higher-dose effects, I don't know whether this is true for the antidepressant ones.

* *The company:* A sitter needs to be present. This must be a highly trusted person. A trained therapist would be great, if you can find one who'll risk his license for this, but do not attempt therapy if you don't have the training for it. As a sitter, your job is to ensure safety and comfort, remain calm and sober at all times, be available as a conversation partner, help manage whatever comes up and stay the fuck out of the way when your assistance is not being requested. Experience with handling drug experiences is certainly a plus, but not a requirement: this job is much more similar to the designated driver on a bar night than to tripsitting someone on mushrooms or LSD.

* *The environment:* Be in a completely safe place where you can lie down comfortably, quite warm, with a bathroom and fresh water available. Turn off your cellphones. The sad person would enjoy having showered and being in fresh clothes. You need to be sure you will remain undisturbed for two hours. Hear soothing music if it feels right. If possible, the sad person may want to do it in the evening, in his or her bed, and go to sleep afterwards.

* *The procedure:* Go to the bathroom immediately before you start, and blow your nose properly. (Ketamine can make you want to pee. You may need to go again in between.) Lie down comfortably and under a blanket. In ten minute intervals, sniff five 0.1mg/kg doses of Ketamine. Never mind if it is 12 minutes instead of 10 or if the total amount is off by a few milligrams. Be hygienic about it, do not use rolled banknotes. Do not consume it orally. Relax, be very comfortable, maybe talk, about whether you're feeling anything for example.

* *Immediate effects:* This very mild dose will not produce any hallucinations and none of the out-of-body experiences and dramatic circulation effects Wikipedia tells you about. (If if does, you have a highly unlikely genetic anomaly or something that affects your metabolization of Ketamine. Abort immediately and go to sleep.) In my experience you will feel, if anything, like you're mildly stoned or on half a Xanax. Expect a relaxed buzz or serene high, slowed movements, mildly changed perception of the body, a subjective feeling of cold and maybe a slight change of perception of time. The "inner alarm" (feelings of fear, rage, guilt or shame) is shut off - this can be too subtle for the sad person to notice at this time, but may be very apparent to the sitter. If this is your first time sniffing anything, you might produce more mucus than usual - sniff it right back up. It tastes bad when it drips down in your throat, so drink water. If it feels right (to the sad person), this is an excellent time to think or talk about whatever seems important. You might have a comfortable chat. You might go deeper, and understand more clearly, than ever before. You might have a breathtaking epiphany that illuminates your heart forever.

* *Conclusion:* Immediate effects are gone half an hour after the last dose, at the latest. Take your time finishing up, keep relaxing and enjoying yourself until the session feels done.

* *Expected results:* Since every sad person is different, this is guesswork. I *guess* results might be similar to what happened in my two cases. The person with chronic major depression had markedly reduced symptoms for around two months. Six months later, part of the improvement seems permanent but it is impossible to tell how much of it is due to the Ketamine. The other person's seasonal affective disorder simply vanished and may or may not return next winter. The clinical trials report a wide spectrum of effects, from nothing at all to seemingly permanent alleviation of severe treatment-resistant major depression. None of the studies done so far have included numbers of sad people great enough to paint a clear picture, but very roughly, it seems that around 75% of those with very severe problems benefit from Ketamine at least temporarily. There is a minority of recreational users for who Ketamine does nothing or nearly nothing. I suppose the method outlined will not work for everyone either. Those unfamiliar with sniffing chemicals may experience slight irritation of the mucous membranes that can last for a few days.

**Final words:** This is my first version of the writeup. I'll watch this thread for a while, answer questions as well as I can and perhaps edit the above accordingly.

I tried it, but my symptoms were different to yours.

Did nothing for me personally but fatigue and cognitive impairment were my complaints, which an anaesthetic would obviously not work for (stims would, and low and behold, rocket fuel for me).

Being numbed out, away from the pain seems to be its general mechanism of action, and it works for some so, more power to them.

I know bluelight is not a sourcing site but reddit has the details on darknet etc. and the UK itself has reputable suppliers when you do your homework (I mention this for harm prevention - get a reputable DNM supplier with reviews, not some idiot peddling powder in the toilets of your local rave club).
J&J putting this on patent was just another pharma ploy, and yes clinically it's obscenely expensive.

In terms of harm prevention, erowid has good details and I found a good administration outlay on the other drug forum, "drugs-forum".

Psychiatrists are not trained in pharmacology (or they get a dose of it, but rarely practice it clinically) so I was always relatively dubious about their prescribing protocols TBH.

Last edited:
Hi posted somewhere else didn’t realise there is a mh section. I have seen lots of info on ketamine for depression and you can legally pay to get an infusion in my county, England now. But it’s really expensive and know where near me.
My depression is pretty severe I have had it since a teenager and I’m also diagnosed with autism and have social anxiety. Things seem hard and I wonder what the point in life is often if I’m this miserable. I’ve tried loads of anti depressants from the doctor that don’t really help at all.
I want to try ketamine but can’t afford to go a clinic. I’m thinking of trying it at home and buying it. I have a friend who can sit with me and will be sober. I’m unsure how much to take or what regime to follow. I wondered if anyone else here has tried this? Also I’ll probably sniff it. I’ve bought some scales, test kit to use.
Thanks
Hi there, I want to share my ketamine story. next week I will be starting a 3 week 6 session ketamine therapy program at home. It’s 1200
USD for the right dosage of the ketamine wafer you put under you tongue and let dissolve. 65% felt results after one session. This is in California as it’s 100% FDA approved and legal for drug resistant ssri traditional therapy. Nothing illegal
About it, I just wish I would have found it sooner. Try to do a legit program with help and guidance. I myself am an addict besides my phsych meds I abuse pain pills etc. I’m on suboxone treatment when I feel like it, but mostly use it when I need to take a break or am tight on money. Im
Hoping this will be have addictive help as ketamine is supposed to really help jump- start your neurotransmitters.