• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Keeping heart rate safe on stims?

soundsystem00

Bluelighter
I do stims once every 1-2 weeks and I have been having unrelated heart issues/not issues just weird things.

My Apple Watch showed 140bpm on my last dose and I wanna know if it would ruin the high to take a few beta blockers with it next time?

Thanks!

Ummm you might want to go to a cardiologist i think its called to figure out what exactly is wrong with your heart. I am not a doctor but i took beta blocks for a few days and if your heart is like going 140+ and or you have some structural issue with your heart it wont fix it.

Ummm you might want to go to a cardiologist i think its called to figure out what exactly is wrong with your heart. I am not a doctor but i took beta blocks for a few days and if your heart is like going 140+ and or you have some structural issue with your heart it wont fix it.

The one thing I've never understood about safe heart rate when resting (not exercising) on stimulants (also regardless of what a person's blood pressure is for the sake of argument, which of course also factors into the equation), is whether or not a person's heart rate at the moment considered safe or unsafe based on the number alone or whether or not the person is exercising (while NOT on stimulants), or maybe even scared of something that might speed up the heart, or whether or not a person is simply at rest and on stimulants??

Like, my normal resting heart rate when not on stimulants (other than some coffee), is usually around 72bpm, or before coffee it has been in the upper 50s, which is generally ok, but I have heard that during intense exercise it is not unsafe for one's heart rate to go up to 2 and a half times their normal HR, maybe even 3 times it, so is that not unsafe because you are exercising and exercise is healthy while stimulants are not, or is not unsafe because one's heart rate being that high, as long as it is not USUALLY or VERY FREQUENTLY THAT high, is just not HIGH ENOUGH IN GENERAL TO BE DANGEROUS???

Like, if I'm running really hard at the gym I've seen my heart rate go to the upper 100s, like maybe 160 or whatever, and I've heard that that is safe, so why couldn't it also be safe if one's resting heart rate is 160 while on a stimulant SO LONG AS YOU AREN'T DOING THEM THAT OFTEN???

I mean, I have just decided to quit Dexadrine and stimulants stronger than coffee entirely, and I have not taken my BPM or blood pressure while on them and think it is possible they might get to unsafe levels (which is just one reason I'm quitting VERY soon....like within the next week FOR SURE), so IF my resting heart rate gets that high (LETS HOPE IT DOESNT...BUT I"M QUITTING SO I HOPE I AM OK GOING FORWARD....) then I'm not a good candidate for a study about this cause I use them too often.

But lets say someone takes a stimulant 1-2 times a week and when they do so their heart rate gets as high as when they exercise but they are at rest, is it really more dangerous considering that the number is the same??

Or do you also have to factor in WHY the person's heart rate is that high and also perhaps how long the person's heart rate is that high, cause people don't exercise for like 4-12 hours straight keeping their heart rate and BP up like they meet be on stimulants for that duration of time?

I don't know, I mean OBVIOUSLY stimulants are really bad for you and exercise is really good for you, and in general also the more you exercise the lower your heart rate and BP will be when at rest which is good (I HAVE to exercise more), but it is possible to bring one's heart rate and blood pressure up to unsafe levels through sober exercise alone as well, and then when someone refers to your "resting heart rate", TO ME at least, it kind of seems like if you are on a stimulant that is messing with your HR that that isn't REALLY your "resting heart rate" it is your heart rate while not exercising but reacting to something that is altering it, so I would not think that one's HR (and BP) TEMPORARILY going up to levels that are not unsafe while exercising (like 140 or whatever)....would necessarily be SUPER dangerous all the time if at rest but on a stimulant. It's a question of if a number is unsafe because the number is too high regardless of what you are doing or not. I mean, isn't dangerous HR and BP based mostly just on what the number is and how frequently it gets that high??

Maybe not...

I know I gotta quit stimulants for sure though.

I do know that BEFORE I was prescribed them about 8 years ago I had an Echo Cardiogram, Endo Cardiogram and Nuclear Stress test and all said my heart was healthy so I have hope that it still is, but I'm not going to mess with it anymore regardless.

Last edited:
My main concern is it seems like he could have a unknown issue with his heart. And im not a doctor but id assume just like you need to be physically healthy enough to do intense exercise or marathon sex. You probably should address if you might have a unknown heart issue before taking a drug that might jack up your heart rate. Idk if 140 is safe. But at bare minimum just like a car if you try to go 140 mph for 8 hours in a brand new audi sports car or whatever youd prob be fine. But if you have a car thats hasnt been checked out recently and has a check engine light going 140 mph really sounds like a bad idea. It doesnt make going 140 in a audi safe or a good idea. But its even worse pushing in a car of questionable health.

I dont even know if that made sense.

Basically if you think you have a heart issue i think you should see a doctor before taking a bunch of speed. The hearts probably way more complex then a number.

And I gave up my search. Don't know what to make of this text provided in the link. But I hope it shed's some light on the topic. My impression was beta blockers were contraindicated with stim's.

After that read, that text in the link, I am left a bit clueless and in the middle. Please report back and do a short version comprehensible to understand if you can? It is very recently published June 19, 2019.

https://litfl.com/beta-blockers-for-cocaine-and-other-stimulant-toxicity/

I gave up on drug binging. I used to be like a garbage can tossing as many drugs as possible into my body as possible indefinitely. And, whenever i added alcohol it almost instantly went to total trash. Like from waking up like wtf happened to in a hospital.

Now i just like my heavy nicotine, heavy caffeine, and adderall (daily never more then prescribed) because im not really "high" or intoxicated like i used to be. I can keep my living area flawless, my dress flawless colors matching button down ect, my exercise routine flawless, my organization, planning, ect all flawless. And it basically is to brag. It lets me keep up this image of someone who has it together. Because really i want the world to leave me alone. In my mind ill never be seen with a drink. Because i dont get drunk. I dont smoke weed because i dont want to be ever associated with getting high. I dont want to ever do anything that might ruin my image not because i care about my image or think weed is dangerous or wrong or reasonable alcohol use is bad but because i dont want to be perceived in a way to could be mentally hospitalized or forced to get help. Because i feel like the only help i ever got when i was down and wanting to die was from drugs. So now that im not drowning in depression they want to "help" me f*ck that sh*t. I feel like the world left me to drown and now that drugs gave me the energy to swim to shore they want me to give them up and join their society. Naa drugs where my real friends. Real friends dont leave you to drown to death. Then say they will only take you back if you drop the friends who actually had your back.

I dont even know what im saying its late i need to go to bed.
Took me a bit effort to get to the bottom of your post but I think I get what you mean.

I am still in that earlier stage, I am not hoovering up substances anymore. But I do feel my dexAmphetamin enables me to drink without getting drunk. Bad habit!

Certainly losing dependence on drugs is a step up. Relying on them soon seems like a downward spiral. Like relying on dr's proved a bad move ime when I was in need for help.

Don't give up on humanity though, keep a narrow opening just in case you cross paths with someone worth your friendship, I lost a lot of friend along the way. So I get your sentiment d1nach

my '777th' message

I used to really enjoy stims several years ago, but my anxiety is so bad these days all I do is drink coffee and energy drinks. Last time I did coke I couldn't even enjoy myself because I was so focused on my heart rate. By the end of the night I figured I was about to die, I was totally convinced actually.

So i just listen to like taylor swift and exercise and watch videos on youtube.

Instead of manically reading neuroscience, looking like a mess, always drawing pictures of molecules in my notebook.

'look what you made me do'

The cover by R.A. the Rugged Man immediatly popped up. I am all into cover's but you would have to have some affinity with words and hiphop to like it. But check it out if you feel so, I am not allowed to embed vid's overhere so I will leave it at that.

But are they Betablockers, or some of em, contradicted or not. I was under the assumption they were but finding some concrete info was hard. And the link I posted kinda told the opposite if I am correct in interpretation.

It's worth noting that even if the author proposes that dogmatic rejection of betablocker treatment in patients post-stimulant ingestion might have reason to be reevaluated, he's surely talking about a clinical setting in which the patient's HR and BP are monitored after beta blocker administration to control for treatment success and potential adverse events.
Your safest bet would be to stop stims and to visit a doctor if you're worried about your heart.

My main concern is it seems like he could have a unknown issue with his heart. And im not a doctor but id assume just like you need to be physically healthy enough to do intense exercise or marathon sex. You probably should address if you might have a unknown heart issue before taking a drug that might jack up your heart rate. Idk if 140 is safe. But at bare minimum just like a car if you try to go 140 mph for 8 hours in a brand new audi sports car or whatever youd prob be fine. But if you have a car thats hasnt been checked out recently and has a check engine light going 140 mph really sounds like a bad idea. It doesnt make going 140 in a audi safe or a good idea. But its even worse pushing in a car of questionable health.

I dont even know if that made sense.

Basically if you think you have a heart issue i think you should see a doctor before taking a bunch of speed. The hearts probably way more complex then a number.

It is weird because I recently had a panic attack and went to the hospital. They did X-rays and EKG and everything looked beyond healthy he said. He said I was basically having heart palpitations from all the caffeine, poor diety exercise, all the nicotine in my vape, and all the kratom I do. So he said that it is normally and nothing is wrong with my heart.

And I got my vitals taken again the other day and they said its perfect.

But the other day I smoked some weed and got too high and my heart rate when up to 120. Since I cut way back on the Kratom, I rarely get short of breath anymore but the kratom definitely was contributing to that for a while.

Its good now but 140bpm resting seems high but I guess since my normal resting is 90bpm its not that big of a difference, haha this stupid apple watch is just making me paranoid.

I used to really enjoy stims several years ago, but my anxiety is so bad these days all I do is drink coffee and energy drinks. Last time I did coke I couldn't even enjoy myself because I was so focused on my heart rate. By the end of the night I figured I was about to die, I was totally convinced actually.

lol yes exactly I was thinking the same thing. I get so psyched out that I make my own heart rate rise.

I would give myself a heart attack if i wore that apple watch all day.

How much nicotine are you vaping? Do you use like a 16-24 mg/ml?

When i use alot of nicotine my heart goes fast, i feel flush, nausous, very dizzy. If i wasnt used to it i could easily think im having a panic attack.

I am down to 3mg. I drip it, so its stronger, but 3mg is the lowest I can get for most juice brands unless I mix 3mg with 0 to make 1.5mg...

Yeah I have the apple watch to go off whenever it goes above 100bpm so it alerts me and I freak out and raise it to 120 haha.

It's worth noting that even if the author proposes that dogmatic rejection of betablocker treatment in patients post-stimulant ingestion might have reason to be reevaluated, he's surely talking about a clinical setting in which the patient's HR and BP are monitored after beta blocker administration to control for treatment success and potential adverse events.
Your safest bet would be to stop stims and to visit a doctor if you're worried about your heart.

With the conlicting info and not being in a clinical setting the OP better choose that option indeed, or at least lower the dose. I was seatching for a straight answer for the OP but got nowhere. Taking beta-blockers seems at least contraindicated.

Btw my own heart is OK, it broken a bit but fine otherwise. And I have no exp with beta or alpha blockers. But I did consider a alpha- blocker like Clonidine, Tiazidine or Moxonidine usefull for some non stimulant related stress symptoms. I take dex-Amphetamine but not in a way it effects my heart, I find it quite benign at therapeutic dosages.