• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Keep missing my shots!! Please help!!

Rio Fantastic

Bluelighter
So for the second time today, I've just fucked up my shot, fucking AGAIN!! For the second time today I've injected £10 into my fucking skin!!! This is getting SO SO SO aggravating!! I always manage to register, but the needle must somehow slip out or go through the vein or some shit because I keep feeling that familiar fucking sting and then getting the puffy lump that's the distinct sign of a fucking miss!!! Not to mention the lack of the fucking rush!!!! This is getting so ridiculous, its fucked, its almost a daily fucking occurence. I've used up the best spots which were the inside of my elbow, the crook of my arm, and now its a daily struggle just to shoot up successfully! I have dyspraxia so I already have pretty bad fine motor control, and often my hands are shaking, so that might be a contributing factor, but if ANYONE can offer ANY advice on how to prevent this, I would fucking love you!! It's extremely extremely frustrating and I feel like I'll end up throwing my monitor through the window or stabbing someone to death if it happens again!

if its relevant, my technique when injecting is to prepare the shot, I hold the needle with my index and middle finger together holding the barrel on one side my ring finger on the other side, and my pinky supporting the same side as the index, and use my thumb to control the plunger. I stick the needle in at like a 45 degree angle, pull back the plunger, then insert the needle in and out till I hit blood, then push the plunger down with my thumb. It's extremely extremely aggravating recently since for some fucking reason (maybe switching to vit C from citric) I don't feel the burn that indicates I'm out of the vein until over half the shot is already fucking in. Its just making me SOOOO ANGRY!!!! so PLEASE if anyone can offer ANY advice I would be SO SO GRATEFUL!!!

what I do want to hear: advice, suggestions, empathy, good sties that you use, descriptions of your technique, etc

what I don't want to hear: "heroin is bad" or any variation, "u shudnt do heroin" or any variation, "why not try plugging/snorting/smoking/eating/rub it all over your dick" or any variation. I don't want to plug it or smoke it or snort it. i dont care what you say, IVing has the best rush and thats what i love so please, dont waste your time suggesting it.

again PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME!!

I suggest against your thumb for depressing the plunger, myself use my thumb at the underside of the oval shape before the plunger circle and my ring finger on the other side to steady the movement while using my middle and index finger for registering and depressing the plunger. The most important part after registering is focusing on the needle tip and not your thumb depressing the plunger. I also suggest going much slower than you do, a good 10 second count, the faster you shoot the more likely it will penetrate through the other side of the vein from the force of you forcing the punger down. Re-registering multiple times can really help also. I assume you use a max of 40-50 units if using your thumb as it has shit all reach try doubling that or 70-80 units to allow for multiple registers and not wasting half your dope from a slip.

typo

use yout thumb and your middle finger to hold the barrel, use your index finger to register STEADILY and then press the plunger down. Don't register more than once if you can help it but if you think you slipped out or though a vein, definitely register before continuing to administer the shot. Are you using something like isopropyl alcohol to sterilize the are before and after administration?
Are you re-using needles?

Last edited:
I also hold the syringe in the manner Hecticus described. 45° is much to steep of an angle as well. Aim for 15° or 20°, the point being, the shallower the better.

The cause of 99% of my misses is from slightly readjusting my fingers after registering.

Which veins do you use? Do you have good habits as far as rotating injection site? How long have you used?

I suggest against your thumb for depressing the plunger, myself use my thumb at the underside of the oval shape before the plunger circle and my ring finger on the other side to steady the movement while using my middle and index finger for registering and depressing the plunger. The most important part after registering is focusing on the needle tip and not your thumb depressing the plunger. I also suggest going much slower than you do, a good 10 second count, the faster you shoot the more likely it will penetrate through the other side of the vein from the force of you forcing the punger down. Re-registering multiple times can really help also. I assume you use a max of 40-50 units if using your thumb as it has shit all reach try doubling that or 70-80 units to allow for multiple registers and not wasting half your dope from a slip.

I will try this next time, thank you for the advice. Injecting slower seems like great advice, I think that I tend to push it down as fast as possible because my thinking was I want to get in all in my vein before it has a chance to slip out, but that may very well be whats causing the problems. Also I always use 70 to 80 cc, I have big hands and my thumb is pretty flexible. I will try it your way, though I find it more difficult, it seems to be the status quo and there must be a reason for that. I dislike re-registering by the way because the way I see it as soon as there's blood in the syringe you're on a timer, since you only have so long before the blood clots, right?

use yout index finger and your middle finger to hold the barrel, use your index finger to register STEADILY and then press the plunger down. Don't register more than once if you can help it but if you think you slipped out or though a vein, definitely register before continuing to administer the shot. Are you using something like isopropyl alcohol to sterilize the are before and after administration?
Are you re-using needles?

I don't sterilize very often to be honest, never had an issue before. The only function of that is to prevent germs and infections, right? I figured if I was doing it in a clean place then I'd be okay without it. I also only re-use needles if it's absolutely necessary.

I also hold the syringe in the manner Hecticus described. 45° is much to steep of an angle as well. Aim for 15° or 20°, the point being, the shallower the better.

The cause of 99% of my misses is from slightly readjusting my fingers after registering.

Which veins do you use? Do you have good habits as far as rotating injection site? How long have you used?

I use to basically never rotate, but after fucking all my crooks (which makes me want to cry now, they were so fucking easy to hit) I'm getting better. I'm currently using the veins just below my thumb and the opposite side of that, on both arms, and the veins in the middle of my arms and my hands.

I will try this next time, thank you for the advice. Injecting slower seems like great advice, I think that I tend to push it down as fast as possible because my thinking was I want to get in all in my vein before it has a chance to slip out, but that may very well be whats causing the problems. Also I always use 70 to 80 cc, I have big hands and my thumb is pretty flexible. I will try it your way, though I find it more difficult, it seems to be the status quo and there must be a reason for that. I dislike re-registering by the way because the way I see it as soon as there's blood in the syringe you're on a timer, since you only have so long before the blood clots, right?

So just to report back, I tried it your way just now and I just couldn't do it. My index finger just couldn't reach the plunger whilst maintaining a grip on the barrel. However, I tried injecting slower and re-registering halfway and I'm happy to say that I got a rush! And it was fuckin beautiful! Thank you so much! I think pushing the plunger slower just might be the solution I'm looking for. My veins don't look so great at the moment - I had a great pump on them earlier but like every day, as the day goes on my veins seem to get fainter and fainter. I didn't want to have to find out my tourniquet and I hardly ever use them anyway, so it took me quite a few tries to find a vein, but I did it in the end, and I'm certain it was your advice that made sure I stayed in there, so IO have you to thank for this great rush/high, and for that Hecticus I am extremely extremely grateful! Is there anything I can do for you in return?

Also, quick kind of related question: in the past, I used up the vein in my crook, then quit, then when I relapsed again, my crook was working again, which I was very happy about. So happy, that I proceeded to use it in very single injection for weeks & weeks till a lump formed and the skin became very thick and I couldn't draw blood from there again. However, it did seem to come back then, so I'm wondering is it normal for veins to come back? Or is it just when they're fucked they're fucked? How can you tell the difference between a vein that you can never hit again and one that just needs recovery time?

Never reuse needles. and you really should be sterilizing when you IV...

Our skin is a breeding ground for bacteria, as tricomb said, you should always alcohol swab or using rubbing alcohol and a tissue to rub down the injection site before slamming. Also, never reuse needles! They will give you tracks, they are a breeding ground for bacteria as well, especially under the plunger where it microscopically cracks and even if you wash it and sterilize it before reusing it, bacteria can still be stuck there. Do you want endocarditis, or a blood infection? You can order 100 sterile needles online for like 20 bucks and rubbing alcohol for a few bucks at most. There is no excuse, injecting is already pushing drug use to the absolute limit as far as danger goes, the least you can do is make a very dangerous activity as safe as possible.

Do you rest your injecting hand on your arm as you inject? I rest my pinkie and ring finger and the rest of that part of my hand on my arm, pull back with my index finger and middle finger to register, and then rest my middle finger on my arm aswell and push down on the plunger with my index finger, and I rest my thumb on my rig. I honestly don't think I've ever missed! Even the first time I injected, I had read guides religiously before trying it. Missing should not be a frequent thing, abscesses can turn ugly fast. Maybe snort a bump a bit before you shoot to relax yourself?

Anyways, I hope you take this post and decide to start utilizing more harm reduction in your injecting, like not reusing needles and cleaning the injection site with rubbing alcohol.

I haven't injected recently myself because it's just not worth it, in fact opiates just aren't worth it at all, but we all learn that eventually, usually the hard way, I've been there xd. Consider a maintenance program with something like subutex or methadone, or even something like kratom, because the junkie life just isn't worth it.

Stay safe!

Re-using your own needles is a great way to get bacteria in your blood stream which ends up forming "veges" on your valves (it looks like underwater vegetation), you will end up needing your valves replaced. If you start having blood pressure issues, dizziness when standing etc get your heart checked...anyway....we've all done it but like many who think they've escaped health problems, it's not until you get a bit older that the issues start.

I used to show folks how to rest the needle on the limb that has the vein they are hitting if possible while they register, so the needle is resting on the forearm while it is in the vein in the crook of their elbow for example so that when they push the plunger they haven't accidentally moved the needle if they have had to re-adjust their hands to push the plunger....may be too hard to picture.

You should be doing arm curls with a light to medium weight dumbbell to keep your veins strong and close to the surface. This is a must for longterm users ime. The more blood that pumps through your veins the larger they get. I was an IV user for well over a decade and I rarely ever missed after thousands maybe 10,000 shots....and the only reason I ever missed was usually I was so slammed by the shot I had just done had me shaking all over and my vision was reduced to a tiny tunnel making it near impossible to hit properly (stimulant abuser).

It sucks when "Old faithful" veins no longer work...I've seen it but never experienced it myself. Seen my fair share of folks with a vein "bubble" in the crooks of their arms....Ew, but that's IV life.

I was going to suggest what the above poster suggested. In order to get my veins to pop I used to do a few pushups. Also running your hands and arms under extremely warm water will bring them to the surface.....

I can't say I practiced good IV technique every time. I eventually got to the point of shooting in my neck.....had to wear collared shirts all the time....If you do end up going to the neck, try to go close to your shoulder....your neck can look terrible after a while

No the blood will not clot that fast, I would draw back to make sure I still had blood return during the process. only sure fire way that you know you are in the vein. also if you put your thumb and forefinger together at the V (bottom of your fingers) straight back should be a nice wrist vein. I used to use this a lot for IV's as a medic. push slow at the first feeling of a sting stop and recheck.

So just to report back, I tried it your way just now and I just couldn't do it. My index finger just couldn't reach the plunger whilst maintaining a grip on the barrel. However, I tried injecting slower and re-registering halfway and I'm happy to say that I got a rush! And it was fuckin beautiful! Thank you so much! I think pushing the plunger slower just might be the solution I'm looking for. My veins don't look so great at the moment - I had a great pump on them earlier but like every day, as the day goes on my veins seem to get fainter and fainter. I didn't want to have to find out my tourniquet and I hardly ever use them anyway, so it took me quite a few tries to find a vein, but I did it in the end, and I'm certain it was your advice that made sure I stayed in there, so IO have you to thank for this great rush/high, and for that Hecticus I am extremely extremely grateful! Is there anything I can do for you in return?

Also, quick kind of related question: in the past, I used up the vein in my crook, then quit, then when I relapsed again, my crook was working again, which I was very happy about. So happy, that I proceeded to use it in very single injection for weeks & weeks till a lump formed and the skin became very thick and I couldn't draw blood from there again. However, it did seem to come back then, so I'm wondering is it normal for veins to come back? Or is it just when they're fucked they're fucked? How can you tell the difference between a vein that you can never hit again and one that just needs recovery time?

If it feels lumpy its scar tissue. the more scar tissue the harder it is to get a flash.

Those veins in your hand and even that big one on the side of your wrist below your thumb are notorious for misses.

Have you checked out the IV megathread? It has a great diagram of the veins in your arm. Subsequent posts from users will also identify the strengths and weaknesses of each.

Unless you live in Australia, Sydney i'm afraid not. Glad i could finally help someone even if it's all for a Heroin rush, how beautiful it must be. :) I knew trying to change your technique this late in the game is impossible really, I had to get used to 29G BDs which require so much pressure registering it's rediculous, had no one to show me, alot of misses have been had. I'm unfortunately quite efficient now, nothing compared to those hot nurses that can hit blind folded, but still. 2 Hours until i get my opioid of choice, may as well be a life time. Stay safe Rio Fantastic.