• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc kava

butcher22

Bluelighter
i know kava is sometimes used recreationally but does it really have much recreational value? i tried it once when i was a kid. took like half a bottle of capsules from GNC and i dont know if it was weak and cut with other stuff but i didnt really feel anything. also i didnt suffer from anxiety back then so i wouldnt have noticed the calming effects but is it really very effective in helping you deal with social anxiety? how would you compare it to benzos?

It made me feel kinda drunk and sleepy after a couple of glasses of kava tea dude, recreational yea but I'd rather a beer.

Recreational? No. But beneficial for sleep and anxiety, yes. Definitely stronger than most natural stuff.
It's important to get high quality kava kava, a lot of capsules sold at pharmacies and other places are very low grade.

Natural food stores or online is usually a good bet. I have a friend who makes tea and tinctures.
And I've even heard of people vaporizing it.

^I'd never vaporize such a substance but I agree it does help for sleep and anxiety.

There's a whole Megathread about kava discussing this. The capsules are nearly worthless but if you buy the root, esp. from Vanuatu, & prepare it properly (kneading it in a liquid such as coconut milk), then you can get a buzz off it similiar to 3 beers. It doesn't last long though but deserves more credit than most people give it. Just ask yourself, if it doesn't have recreational value, how do you explain the small yet solid popularity of kava bars?

thanks for the input. i am going to do some research to find a good seller and give it a shot. aside from wanting to help with anxiety i also want something to replace alcohol since i have quit drinking and can never find any good weed anymore

I used to take it for sleep and sometimes drink Kava tea. There is Valerian also, but they are different. I would buy some Glutamine, it helped me in larger doses taper from cns depressants.

I recently tried Kava capsules (800mg each) from the supermarket and I was very pleasantly surprised. Within an hour I felt extremely relaxed and even a little euphoric. Highly recommend. You got to take about 6 capsules to get the feeling though.

Fresh kava is pretty recreational. Capsulated kava is hit and miss.

It's entirely possible that people who low tolerance could find this recreational. I've just never come across anyone who did.

I have tried Kava to be able to sleep better and it worked quite lightly.
I believe it was more like a placebo effect, but it did help a little.
PS: they weren´t 800 mg, although I don´t remember precisely how many mgs but surely not 800, much less.
So I took a few of them at the time.

Last edited:
I have tried Kava to be able to sleep better and it worked quite lightly.
I believe it was more like a placebo effect, but it did help a little.
PS: they weren´t 800 mg, although I don´t remember precisely how many mgs but surely not 800, much less.
So I took a few of them at the time.
i doubt it is just a placebo effect. i am no expert but i am willing to bet you are used to hard drugs like i am. i read all of these threads about how awesome something is and i am very disappointed because i am comparing it to things that i am used to. someone above said the effects are like drinking about three beers. if you are used to street drugs you probably wouldnt even notice such mild effects.

edit: no one in this thread compared it to three beers. i must have read that in some other forum

Kava can definitely be recreational, can't see how anybody would say otherwise though perhaps to them it's not. Be sure to use fresh root and use coconut oil or milk as a base, adding a tsp of a fatty oil helps as well. The fattier the better. It's not particularly strong, and even not something I find very attractive, but it has it's uses I guess.

Kava has a reverse tolerance. The more you use it the better it gets. I was sceptical once I heard this but as I continued to drink it I found it was completely accurate information.

Kava has a reverse tolerance. The more you use it the better it gets. I was sceptical once I heard this but as I continued to drink it I found it was completely accurate information.

It never really worked for me. Not even a little bit.