Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Kava Kava Scheduled

Keats

Greenlighter
Hi everyone, if this has been covered already I apologise and plead 'Newbie' but... I've just read in an Australian ethnobotanical type site that Kava Kava is to be scheduled as S4 (prescription only) in August of this year, and it doesn't seem there will be many, if any loopholes. Any further info or updates anyone has would be appreciated here. Cheers all.

only way to get the real 'kava kava' effect is to make the drink from fresh roots!

Any dried version (dried roots/powder/capsules/etc) isn't worth it - so no loss with these restrictions really!

australian laws just get more restrictive as time goes on, strange that the same laws dont apply to tobacco and alcohol. Whats next...banning being happy because its deemed that you are high on life?

This year? I thought it was banned already? My supplier said she couldnt get any more as of july last year.

Maybe that was just the importation side of things. I dunno.

Can you even get prescription kava? Do pharm companies produce an extract version or something?

Last edited:
It's already banned as of 23/11/07. Only obtainable in small qty by Polynesian folk with a permit.

isn't it great how they used Aboriginals "abuse" as the reason to ban it. Never seen the demonisation of a minority to get a drug banned before! /sarcasm.

but thats a fucking lame reason...

I feel discriminated against. Seriously, why should a fijian or islander be able to bring it in and not me, just because im white? I am totally off base with this? What makes them able to handle it and me not? (im not Aboriginal, im white) Nothing.

How is it legal that I can be denied something based on where i was born?????????

Iv been buying it OTC for quite a while. I thought so far only its importing in that was illigal unless it was on your person (not mail).

It's illegal to import, but im pretty sure vendors can sell off existing stock

I feel discriminated against. Seriously, why should a fijian or islander be able to bring it in and not me, just because im white? I am totally off base with this? What makes them able to handle it and me not? (im not Aboriginal, im white) Nothing.
islanders have used it for cultural shit for a long time (read getting high). I agree, its pretty much discrimination, oh well

I got a bottle of 60 kava pills from the health shop the other day (10/05/08). They were 'Thompson's' Brand, containing 60mg kavalacones.

Stuff is still legal where I live... I can still get kg's of it off an online supplier as well... not too sure what to believe here.

Why have these changes been implemented?

The Australian Government has taken necessary and positive actions in response to concerns that the abuse of kava is contributing to negative health and social outcomes in some Indigenous communities.
I have stocks of kava that were imported using previously issued permits. Can I continue to use/sell/supply kava?

All kava delivered into home consumption before 26 June 2007 can be utilised for the purposes for which it was imported. No new import permits will be granted for other than medical and/or scientific purposes. Note that you will also need to comply with all State and/or Territory legislation in relation to kava.
Can I import kava without a permit?

If you are aged 18 years or more you can bring into Australia up to 2 kg of the root or dried form of kava in your accompanied baggage when entering the country. Under any other circumstances importation of kava without a permit issued by the Office of Chemical Safety is an offence under the Customs Act 1901 and subject to prosecution.

I use kava for cultural purposes. How can I get supplies of kava?

Kava for cultural use can only be brought into the country in the accompanied baggage of a person entering Australia. Any person aged 18 years or more entering Australia from overseas can bring up to 2 kg of kava (in root or dried form) into the country as part of their accompanied baggage.

Note that products listed or registered under the Therapeutic Goods Act 1989 cannot be imported via this mechanism.

Why has the allowance for 2 kg of kava in accompanied baggage been retained?

This practice has been maintained to reflect the cultural significance of kava use by people of South Pacific Islander descent.
http://www.tga.gov.au/import/kava.htm

i was incorrect by saying "only polynesian folk with a permit" - what i meant is only people coming in from the Islands are permitting to bring kava, and they cant mail it, so its only Polynesian folk who generally possess it. its not discrimination because you can goto tonga or fiji and bring it, but fuck that

Hmm... maybe I just got lucky at the health food store? The shop attendant did not say anything out of the ordinary.

I can't understand why they bother trying to control Kava when alcohol is freely available at any bottle shop. You have got to laugh...

Just checked the online store... they have increased their price 150%. Something must be going on...

they are a business and they want to sell it off. if they thought you were the cops or a relevant authority they probably would have been all oh how did that get here i thought we got rid of it

My panda had wanted to use kava for chronic pain. She can't see why kava should be criminalised, and she wishes that legal alternatives to opiates weren't getting fewer and fewer. She and I also think this law is institutionalised cultural discrimination.

I've noticed Kava pop up on a few ethnobotanical sites recently, I guess that's probably as a result of this. To my knowledge it is still legal to grow (but I havn't checked, so don't take this as fact!)

Last edited:
Why have these changes been implemented?

The Australian Government has taken necessary and positive actions in response to concerns that the abuse of kava is contributing to negative health and social outcomes in some Indigenous communities.

So has good old taxable alcohol - but the government doesn't schedule that, they just increase the taxes on it to "combat" the problem. Pffft

mister said:
Whats next...banning being happy because its deemed that you are high on life?
made me lol.

If it is schedule 4, then who makes the Rx brand? Has anyone been prescribed it or know of anyone who does prescribe it? I find this a bit confusing, even though it's validated by other sites. If it is available by prescription, I imagine it would be easy to get.

marklar_the_23rd said:
isn't it great how they used Aboriginals "abuse" as the reason to ban it. Never seen the demonisation of a minority to get a drug banned before! /sarcasm.

but thats a fucking lame reason...

How is it legal that I can be denied something based on where i was born?????????

american indians have a permit for peyote, same as for the polynesians/kava now I guess, only in australia... heh.

PHP:
person said:
american indians have a permit for peyote, same as for the polynesians/kava now I guess, only in australia... heh.

where is this permit talk coming from?
Ity clearly says above... ANYONE over 18yrs can bring in up to 2kg of dried root or plant with their airline baggage. fullstop.