• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Kava for Phenibut Withdrawals

Oakstone

Bluelighter
So, I made a post a little while back that mentioned me realizing I was in withdrawals from phenibut. I wasn't using much of it daily (not recreationally, just for nootropic/anxiolytic effects), but it was enough for me to get some not-great insomnia. I didn't even realize that's what was causing the insomnia for a while.
Since then, I've made sure to keep track of how much I have, and have tapered a good bit down. It's not an addiction, really, I don't feel compelled to use it or anything, I just get withdrawals if I don't have it that day or the day before. My average daily dose is somewhere around 400-500 mg. The withdrawals aren't bad, it's really only insomnia, but insomnia messes with me a lot and exacerbates some other mental problems sometimes.

Anyway, to the point of this thread; I finally got another pound of kava (arrived on Tuesday, I think). At this point I'm somewhat working through the reverse tolerance, since I haven't had it in a while. My last ~400 mg dose of phenibut was Tuesday morning. So far, I haven't really had much trouble with insomnia. I've been having about a tablespoon of kava (mixed with soy lecithin and warm water) in the evenings, somewhere between 6:00-8:00, on a relatively empty stomach. (Again, the small dose is just for getting past reverse tolerance.) Part of the reason I got the kava was to be able to get past the phenibut withdrawals/insomnia, and it seems like it's working decently well!
I thought I'd share that with you all, as well as ask if any of you know if this is actually an effective route to take with it. Kava upregulates GABA-A receptors (I think), so could that actually help fix the withdrawals, not just help ease me through them?

Once I've gotten past the withdrawals, I'm definitely going to make sure I don't get into taking phenibut daily again. ;) It was actually kind of accidental that I started doing so in the first place.

Not sure how much kava would help, it's worth a try though.

Last night, insomnia was worse than it was the nights before, but still far better than a few weeks ago after ~48 hours without phenibut, and this is 100 or so hours in. (I had kratom last night as well, so that helped, but I also had it that time a few weeks ago). It was more just shallow sleep (with a little trouble falling asleep, not too long) rather than insomnia.
Today/tonight I'm having a more typical dose of kava for the first time in a while. Six tablespoons over the course of the day, prepared the same way as before. Since this was a pretty minor phenibut "addiction", I think I'm going to be past the withdrawals pretty soon. Overall, it seems like the kava is working quite well for the withdrawals, which I'm really happy about.

Sorry if this sounds like a journal entry or something, lol. I just want to keep it updated with how it's going so that other people in the same situation as me can learn from it and see if it works or not.

Edit: The night after I wrote this post, I slept very well. No problem getting to sleep, no problem staying asleep. After this point, I think any possible withdrawals will have passed, so this experiment has been successful, for me at least. I hope if anyone else is in the same situation, it works for them as well.

Last edited: