• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Kava causing anxiety?

yteek

Bluelighter
Am I alone here?

I went to a Kava bar for the first time the other day, to my surprise, after downing a single drink, it felt like a valium.

Only to later be burdened with an elevated heart rate and more anxiety.

Found it really odd, that while it brought some relaxation, with a feel like that of benzo, it then went to shit.

You're not alone. I noticed that when I was on 20mg Valium per day, sometimes I'd still have anxiety issues even after having taken my day's dose. I tried to supplement with Kava. I noticed that 40 - 60 minutes post kava ingestion, I'd start to experience benzodiazepine withdrawal sypmtoms. Tremors in the body, horrible chest pains, GI issues, etc. But, when I was out of benzos for a few days and then used Kava, it seemed to help anxiety.

It seems almost as if Kava is a (bad analogy here) similar substance to the GABA system as Buprenorphine is to the opiate receptors, at least in my case. I'm sure this is far from the case in a general sense. To me, though, Kava with a benzo would be anxiogenic, while without benzos in the system it would seem anxiolytic.

This is all completely anecdotal as it is based only on my personal experiences.

Cyb