• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Kafka's Gatekeeper Parable... interpretations?

Vastness

Bluelight Crew
I discovered a very interesting parable today, it's actually called "Before the Law" which IMO is a shitty title and is written by Franz Kafka. Curious to hear your interpretations of it... I'll wait a bit to share mine, although to be honest I didn't come up with even that on my own, but the interpretation I heard resonated with me.

Anyway...

Before the law sits a gatekeeper. To this gatekeeper comes a man from the country who asks to gain entry into the law. But the gatekeeper says that he cannot grant him entry at the moment. The man thinks about it and then asks if he will be allowed to come in later on.

“It is possible,” says the gatekeeper, “but not now.” At the moment the gate to the law stands open, as always, and the gatekeeper walks to the side, so the man bends over in order to see through the gate into the inside.

When the gatekeeper notices that, he laughs and says: “If it tempts you so much, try it in spite of my prohibition. But take note: I am powerful. And I am only the most lowly gatekeeper. But from room to room stand gatekeepers, each more powerful than the other. I can’t endure even one glimpse of the third.” The man from the country has not expected such difficulties: the law should always be accessible for everyone, he thinks, but as he now looks more closely at the gatekeeper in his fur coat, at his large pointed nose and his long, thin, black Tartar’s beard, he decides that it would be better to wait until he gets permission to go inside.

The gatekeeper gives him a stool and allows him to sit down at the side in front of the gate. There he sits for days and years. He makes many attempts to be let in, and he wears the gatekeeper out with his requests. The gatekeeper often interrogates him briefly, questioning him about his homeland and many other things, but they are indifferent questions, the kind great men put, and at the end he always tells him once more that he cannot let him inside yet.

The man, who has equipped himself with many things for his journey, spends everything, no matter how valuable, to win over the gatekeeper. The latter takes it all but, as he does so, says, “I am taking this only so that you do not think you have failed to do anything.”

During the many years the man observes the gatekeeper almost continuously. He forgets the other gatekeepers, and this one seems to him the only obstacle for entry into the law. He curses the unlucky circumstance, in the first years thoughtlessly and out loud, later, as he grows old, he still mumbles to himself.

He becomes childish and, since in the long years studying the gatekeeper he has come to know the fleas in his fur collar, he even asks the fleas to help him persuade the gatekeeper. Finally his eyesight grows weak, and he does not know whether things are really darker around him or whether his eyes are merely deceiving him. But he recognizes now in the darkness an illumination which breaks inextinguishably out of the gateway to the law.

Now he no longer has much time to live. Before his death he gathers in his head all his experiences of the entire time up into one question which he has not yet put to the gatekeeper. He waves to him, since he can no longer lift up his stiffening body.

The gatekeeper has to bend way down to him, for the great difference has changed things to the disadvantage of the man. “What do you still want to know, then?” asks the gatekeeper. “You are insatiable.”

"Everyone strives after the law,” says the man, “so how is that in these many years no one except me has requested entry?”

The gatekeeper sees that the man is already dying and, in order to reach his diminishing sense of hearing, he shouts at him, “Here no one else can gain entry, since this entrance was assigned only to you. I’m going now to close it."

I've seen Vor dem Gesetz a bunch of time without its context Der Proceß, and I urge you to read the whole Proceß, or you will have issues understanding Vor dem Gesetz in its true essence, which is pretty hard in the first place. The Türhüterlegende is important for Josef K's character growth.

But there's ofc a lot of room for interpretation. The whole story is being told to K, so he can search for sense in his life in that which does not make sense :)
You also need to know that the Türhüter/Gatewatchers are more important for Kafka than anything. They are all over his stories, always a Türhüter. This is because Kafka himself feels like a Gatewatcher, and he is our translation to his work. So always take a Türhüter for Kafka himself.

The countryman is so simple because he's supposed to be the countryfolk, misdirected.
The whole prosa is about dreaming of power, but not achieving it, this is important. That's truly Kafka-esque, he combines the elements of hope and hopelessness.

But yeah, you kind of need the entire Torhüter sequences hidden in his stories, and also need to read the works themselves. It has been tried to understand Kafka on a multitude of events, and it's almost impossible to dig really deep. But if you want to, you need to start with all the Torhüter

Last edited:
It's called Vor dem Gesetz, because that's the chapter of the book this prosa was used from ^^
Josef K's criminal proceedings arenot going well, that's what the man who tells him this story says.
this is why it's called Vor dem Gesetz, because it was justed yanked out of a book.

There's lots of parallels between the text and Josef K.
You really need the whole book Der Proceß, or you will understand nothing.
It's all about K.

Franz Kafka is hard enough to understand without context, get some damned context ;)
It's never what it seems to be

edit: Also Kafka in English is really bad. Like bad bad. This guy was probably the most talented German author that ever lived,
with an unbelievable skill for words & description. Kinda lame to read it in English. Kinda like reading Tolkien in German, sucks.

Last edited:
I think the essence of Kafka is found in Kleine Fabel / A Little Fable

The entire text in English:

"Alas", said the mouse, "the whole world is growing smaller every day. At the beginning it was so big that I was afraid, I kept running and running, and I was glad when I saw walls far away to the right and left, but these long walls have narrowed so quickly that I am in the last chamber already, and there in the corner stands the trap that I am running into."

"You only need to change your direction," said the cat, and ate it up.

--------------
It loses a lot in translation. Kafka's seeming "darkness" comes from a light place, in the end. That's the sense in what makes no sense. Die Verwandlung, Der Proceß, Das Urteil, there's always an overlying darkness in the foreground, but if you look close enough, it's this eventual setting. The darkness comes from behaving the way others expect you to behave.

Such as in Before The Law. The man only dies because he was striving for something that was "meant" for him, but absolutely unreachable. So why did he strive? He could have changed his direction and had a life. This is a big factor in nearly all of Kafka's work.

Last edited:
It's called Vor dem Gesetz, because that's the chapter of the book this prosa was used from ^^
Josef K's criminal proceedings arenot going well, that's what the man who tells him this story says.
this is why it's called Vor dem Gesetz, because it was justed yanked out of a book.

There's lots of parallels between the text and Josef K.
You really need the whole book Der Proceß, or you will understand nothing.
It's all about K.

Franz Kafka is hard enough to understand without context, get some damned context ;)
It's never what it seems to be

edit: Also Kafka in English is really bad. Like bad bad. This guy was probably the most talented German author that ever lived,
with an unbelievable skill for words & description. Kinda lame to read it in English. Kinda like reading Tolkien in German, sucks.

What do you think about Nabokov's english?

Then again he wrote in English, unlike Kafka 🤔

I don't read German, at least not faster than maybe a German six year old, so ill never know what Kafka sounds like in his native tongue.

What do you think about Nabokov's english?

Then again he wrote in English, unlike Kafka 🤔

I don't read German, at least not faster than maybe a German six year old, so ill never know what Kafka sounds like in his native tongue.
I think there's a big difference if the artist chooses to use the language, or if it's translated.
My English is not near as good as my German, but still I chose to write the book I've been working on for years in English.
That's because I enjoy the flow of the language, it's easy, but powerful. So I can absolutely understand him. It's a beautiful language.
The language we use in our art, whatever that art is, is so significant in portraying the true nature of the art.

A bit krass of an example, if you watched South Park in German, it's really just a bunch of cursewords, and lots of jokes are stricken because they make no sense in German, and in their place you have more vulgarity and cursewords. If you watch it in English, it's a different world. I hated the show as a kid, because I only knew it in German. O yeah and Kenny doesn't even say anything until like Season 3, he only says "blblblblblblblblblblb" because the translators didnt realise he's actually saying stuff.

Don't worry, German university students have issues reading Kafka. His sentences are like 80 words long, and it's hard to keep track for many.
His use of language is so ominous, something between an excellent newspaper and a gruesome thriller, often telling the most non-sensical or horrifying things in the most ordinary way possible. He's a big fan of a paradox nature, and German offers many ways of speaking like a painter paints.
One of my creations "Herrenloses Damenfahrrad", someone else probably had the same idea though, but I like it :D
"Herrenlos" means "without an owner", but in word to word translation it's "without a man". Damenfahrrad is a women's bicycle.
Women's bicycle without a man(but sounding like you're saying "Women's bicycle without an owner"). German is fun to play around with. I can understand why Kafka chose it over writing in Czech.

Last edited: