• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Just the Facts, please

In a synchotron most likely (the same one in which it was made), under ultra-high vacuum. So not only is it expensive to make, but is very expensive to keep :)

What would you do with it? Blow stuff up. Conduct high-energy physics experiments. Brag to all your friends. Perhaps power a starship?

Mz_Thizzle said:
^I didnt even know that was a real word... I thought it was "dreamed"

As Jam Uh pointed out, both "dreamed" and "dreamt" can be used. However "dreamt" is much more commonly used in British English than in American English. Here in Australia we often use the "t" ending instead of the "ed" ending for many such words.

BrE = British English
AmE = American English

The past tense and past participle of the verbs learn, spoil, spell (only in the word-related sense), burn, dream, smell, spill, leap, and others, can be either irregular (learnt, spoilt, etc.) or regular (learned, spoiled, etc.). In BrE, the irregular and regular forms are current; in some cases (smelt, leapt) there is a strong tendency towards the irregular forms (especially by speakers using Received Pronunciation); in other cases (dreamed, leaned, learned) the regular forms are somewhat more common. In AmE, the irregular forms are never or rarely used (except for burnt and leapt).

Nonetheless, as with other usages considered nowadays to be typically British, the t endings are often found in older American texts. However, usage may vary when the past participles are actually adjectives, as in burnt toast. (Note that the two-syllable form learnèd /'lɜːnɪd/, usually written simply as learned, is still used as an adjective to mean "educated", or to refer to academic institutions, in both BrE and AmE.) Finally, the past tense and past participle of dwell and kneel are more commonly dwelt and knelt on both sides of the Atlantic, although dwelled and kneeled are widely used in the US (but not in the UK).

The more you know. :) (I've always found language differences between US and Britian kind of fascinating, considering we speak the same basic language, yet people felt the need for pointless changes ;)).

Mz_Thizzle said:
I've always heard it was artist ?

It was both. Hitler was an artist, in that he painted things, before WWI when he was basically a bit of an aimless drifter and also during WWI:

Other historians say that the reason he was not promoted is that he was not a German citizen. His duties at regimental headquarters, while often dangerous, gave Hitler time to pursue his artwork. He drew cartoons and instructional drawings for an army newspaper.

His style was very "mechanical" and was considered to be shit, basically.

He also was passionate about architecture, but unfortunately was not very skilled in that area either. One of his closest companions was Albert Speer, a very talented architect, whom Hitler worked very closely with and gave the position of First architect of the Reich. It's been said that Hitler was basically living out his fantasy of being an architect through Speer. Hitler collaborated with Speer, even designing some of his own buildings. His (Hitler) plan was to redesign Berlin in his own image, building by building.

I did an essay on Albert Speer during high school, so I don't know how accurate all of this is, as it was about 4 years ago now...

DamagedLemon said:
^ What about "deranged"?

I agree with you, to be honest. Though you could just word it as "derange".

Last edited:
Mz_Thizzle said:
or-reynj? As oppose to what? (I'm not trying to mock you or anything, I'm honestly curious, I cant think of another way to pronounce it)

She wasn't the one doing the opposing. A number of people were asserting that the pronunciation of deranged and orange were too different to be rhymes.

Derange - De-reynj

Orange - O-reynj

^ Though this is how I see it. If someone could show me how they pronounce derange, and why it's so much different as to not be considered a rhyme with orange?

Mz_Thizzle said:
^You can buy it? What would someone do with antimatter? And where would you keep it?

He was probably talking about the cost it takes to produce it.

Mz_Thizzle said:
^You can buy it? What would someone do with antimatter? And where would you keep it?
Lol, you can't keep it, that's the catch. Antimatter reacts with regular matter in a way that if you tried to store it in a container made of regular matter, it would destroy itself as well as the container.

Rated E said:
Derange - De-reynj

Orange - O-reynj

^ Though this is how I see it. If someone could show me how they pronounce derange, and why it's so much different as to not be considered a rhyme with orange?

Derange - De-reynj (to rhyme with "the range")

Orange - O-ringe (to rhyme with... well, nothing really, but a bit like "syringe")

At least that's how it comes out with my flat British tones. Similar, but not rhyming. I believe the term is assonance, but I could be mistaken.

A few more facts:

Frogs cannot vomit.

Burma is the only country where the cars are right-hand drive, but are also driven on the right hand side of the road.

The first known vending vachine dispensed holy water and dates from around 215 BC.

Coconut water can be used in place of human blood plasma.