• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Alcohol Just how addictive is Soma compared to alcohol?

AA357

Bluelighter
Hi,

I have been drinking small amounts of alcohol most evenings for the past 7 years (one or two 500ml cans of 4-5% beer). I like the taste of beer and the relaxation I feel off it. I have never noticed any health problems, withdrawal symptoms or increased tolerance.

I like Soma a lot more than booze though. 700mg feels very similar to one or two cans, but cleaner and happier. I don't even drink when I'm on it. Is there any reason I couldn't just take 700mg Soma every evening instead?

Thanks.

I'd imagine it'll be similar to other GABAergic drug dependencies. I think you're better off having those beers daily tbh. I'd probably be the same as I get older and of course in low doses.

If you enjoy the Soma more then you will find it to be much more addictive than alcohol. Chances are, to you it is more addictive as you seek to switch your habitual beer use out for it.

So in your case, I'd say it is much more addictive than alcohol as it is much
cleaner and happier
. :D

I'd imagine it'll be similar to other GABAergic drug dependencies. I think you're better off having those beers daily tbh. I'd probably be the same as I get older and of course in low doses.

If you enjoy the Soma more then you will find it to be much more addictive than alcohol. Chances are, to you it is more addictive as you seek to switch your habitual beer use out for it.

So in your case, I'd say it is much more addictive than alcohol as it is much . :D
Haha that makes sense.

TBH I'm not too worried about psychological addiction. Physical addiction is what scares me.

Once you are addicted to something the physical aspect of it is the easier part. Once the withdrawals are over, it is the psychological part that always brings you back around.

WAY more addictive. you're taking 700mg now, the problem with carisoprodol is how rapidly you develop a tolerance to it and the most desirable effects, towards the end of my use I was taking more than 4000mg for 20-30 minutes of desired effect before it rapidly wears off and it's NOT a drug you want to have to withdraw from or ever become dependent on, it's hell. Take it from me.

-Former carisoprodol veteran.

I took 700mg carisoprodol about half an hour ago and I am fucking looped. This is strange... I took 700mg yesterday and it didn't hit me nearly as hard as it has just now.
I took 700mg 4 days in a row last week, had the same effect every time. I might add that I am active and have a very fast metabolism. I have never developed a noticeable tolerance to any GABAergic drug.

So does the tolerance become apparent before physical dependence becomes an issue?

Don't mix soma with alcohol, especially at those doses, you'll die.

Have you spoken to the Dr. who RX your soma? Seriously, you need to make sure it's okay, the risk, etc.?

Have you had bloodwork done?

Don't mix soma with alcohol, especially at those doses, you'll die.
1) I don't drink when I take Soma.
2) What do you mean 'especially at those doses'? I am not an infant... 700mg can't be considered a high dose.
3) Even if I were to drink on Soma, nobody has ever come to any harm (let alone died) from drinking a couple beers while on 700mg Soma FFS. Please don't reply if you don't know what you're talking about.

Have you spoken to the Dr. who RX your soma? Seriously, you need to make sure it's okay, the risk, etc.?
I spoke to him earlier but he was high as fuck on Soma. He said the idea sounded reasonable but advised me to consult with the good people of this forum.

1) I don't drink when I take Soma.
2) What do you mean 'especially at those doses'? I am not an infant... 700mg can't be considered a high dose.
3) Even if I were to drink on Soma, nobody has ever come to any harm (let alone died) from drinking a couple beers while on 700mg Soma FFS. Please don't reply if you don't know what you're talking about.

I spoke to him earlier but he was high as fuck on Soma. He said the idea sounded reasonable but advised me to consult with the good people of this forum.

You can't control who post on here. Since it's a harm reduction site as well and seeing as how I've been in the medical field over 18 years, I think I can...1. Verify you're not an infant ... 2. Verify you don't really want advice, you want someone to hi5 and tell you what an amazing buzz it is .. 3. Verify you don't care about the advice from a medical standpoint

You're not supposed to take soma if you have liver, kidney issues. Since you drink alcohol, I asked if you've had recent bloodwork done to be sure your liver/kidneys are healthy.

You're exceeding the recommended daily dose of soma.

Combining soma and alcohol can cause CNS depression.

That's all the advice I have for you, smartass.

You can't control who post on here. Since it's a harm reduction site as well and seeing as how I've been in the medical field over 18 years, I think I can...1. Verify you're not an infant ... 2. Verify you don't really want advice, you want someone to hi5 and tell you what an amazing buzz it is .. 3. Verify you don't care about the advice from a medical standpoint

You're not supposed to take soma if you have liver, kidney issues. Since you drink alcohol, I asked if you've had recent bloodwork done to be sure your liver/kidneys are healthy.

You're exceeding the recommended daily dose of soma.

Combining soma and alcohol can cause CNS depression.

That's all the advice I have for you, smartass.
Who are you calling a smartass? Do your homework... I am nowhere near the recommended maximum daily intake:
http://www.drugs.com/pro/carisoprodol.html
http://www.soma250.com/pdf/full_prescribing_info.pdf

I explicitly said I don't drink on Somas. I said that twice. Seriously, fuck off.

Well, I would take it over Alchohol anyday(anything over alcohol) but tolerance to Soma goes up QUICK. I love my opiates and Gaba drugs(minus alcohol and phenibut...tried phenibut for a couple weeks for anxiety but really didn't like it, was nice the first few days, then I was just tired and deppressed in a way, so I went back to benzo's, have had way too many this week, i need a bottle that say take this amount every 8 hours or something, not a big bottle mixed with Klonopin and xanax) But anyway back to Soma, it seems to not get prescribed that much anymore, and all the other muscle relaxers seem to suck at relaxing your mucles & just make you tired. But replacing alchohol with Soma seems like a bad idea cuz the tolerance raisis so fast, then the side effects come in at higher doses known as the Soma Shuffle, or Soma shakes. I love Soma, but not by itself, I had the most blissful exerince years and years ago with 5 soma and some weed. Last time I had it I had 3 Somas 2 xanax and some lortab I think, that was nice.. But for fun it seems like somehting to do just every now and again cuz of the fast raise in tolerance and you will have some unwanted side effects from it, plus it doesn't last that long you would be constanly redosing.

Thanks.

So why does tolerance go up so fast with Soma and not with alcohol? Why is it that after 7 years of drinking almost every evening, my alcohol tolerance is no different now to when I first started drinking?
Obviously dosage is a big variable... if I'd been drinking 6 beers every day instead of 2 then I probably would have issues with tolerance and physical dependence by now.

PotatoMan made a good point regarding psychological addiction. I just don't get why it's considered safe to drink small amounts of alcohol every day but not an amount of Soma that would produce analogous effects. What's the difference?

Thanks.

So why does tolerance go up so fast with Soma and not with alcohol? Why is it that after 7 years of drinking almost every evening, my alcohol tolerance is no different now to when I first started drinking?
Obviously dosage is a big variable... if I'd been drinking 6 beers every day instead of 2 then I probably would have issues with tolerance and physical dependence by now.

PotatoMan made a good point regarding psychological addiction. I just don't get why it's considered safe to drink small amounts of alcohol every day but not an amount of Soma that would produce analogous effects. What's the difference?

I'd imagine that tolerance and physical addiction to different substances can vary from person to person. Not too long ago, I wound up developing a really high tolerance and physical addiction to alcohol. Several of my friends had drank way more then I was at the time, and were able to stop drinking cold turkey without any withdrawals, whereas I experienced withdrawal symptoms fairly easily.

You could try replacing the beer with Soma, and just switch back to alcohol if/when you notice your tolerance increasing. That's a dangerous route though. It could take a while for the tolerance to build, and like a couple of people have said, you may risk developing a psychological addiction during that time. Personally, given that you've been able to drink semi-regularly for 7 years with no issues, I suggest to stick with that. That way, the occasional Soma won't become less enjoyable.

No idea why tolerance builds so quick, but soon you'll find it lasts as long as freebase cocaine.