Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ⭐⭐⭐

• ⭐⭐⭐⭐

• Total voters

awesome31311

Bluelighter
Was an absolutely crap and rushed ending, even though I liked the plot structure for the first half of the film.

Anyway, the producers were definitely inspired by LSD. That scene where the guy takes his pill and he's with the rent lady, and he can pick up vibes from certain objects, how the person is carrying themselves, becoming conscious of things that are happening at a distance, internal arithmetic, etc, all that reminded me of when I used to be on real acid. Also how he has a realization that he would rather be doing something else with his life, and then taking up a completely new career. Acid really does do that, and it changed me from a failure at life to an honor's student in a year basically.

There are obvious differences though. For example, acid produces social intelligence, but while you're on it, you can't really focus on things like the stock exchange. If anything, you wanna be against that capitalistic mentality that's been kicked into your head. Thinking is obviously way clearer while you're not on acid, and you don't get withdrawals like the guy did in that movie. In those aspects, it would be more similar to stimulants.

I'd be interested in seeing the pharmacology of the limitless drug, too. The fact that he's partying and sleeping with random women means it definitely messes with dopamine receptors.

Cue the "It's just a movie, dude"

That's when I'll say, bro, psychedelic culture influences the media (film, literature, art) waaaaaaaaaay more than you think. Once you tune into it you'll realize how common it is.

Soo, who wants to watch Dr. Strange with me on Rabbit?

I liked limitless. Wasn't the best movie I've ever seen sure, but I still enjoy it. I think I've seen it twice, been meaning to watch it a third time since it's on Netflix.

The ending is strange though.

Also don't worry about people saying "it's just a movie". Fuck those people. There's nothing wrong with having fun trying to play with the logic of a movie or trying to work out your own fan interpretations of how things might work. That's part of the fun. :)

I liked it as well! And I too suspect it's a labor of love (so to speak) towards LSD.

I would have directed the second half of the film differently. The side effects of the drug would get so intense and it becomes a race for the guy to find a way out, eventually losing his sanity and life in the end. That would be a positive message.

I would have directed the second half of the film differently. The side effects of the drug would get so intense and it becomes a race for the guy to find a way out, eventually losing his sanity and life in the end. That would be a positive message.

This is kinda what I meant when I said I thought the ending was strange. It really seems like something along those lines is what should have happened. But instead as I recall the guy winds up on top.

The films ending seems to carry this really unusual message of "drugs are awesome, and yes you can find a way to use them every day and not see your life destroyed, you can have it all!". Which of course is the complete opposite of what you'd normally expect the ending of a drug themed movie to be.

Personally, I really loved it - though I've never been much of a psychonaut. For me, it is 'just a movie.' I do get the drug references, but that's not the driver for me. I watch movies first and foremost to be entertained, to be taken to an alternate reality, where if I suspend my disbelief, I can go for an enjoyable ride. Learning anything from it, personally or socially, is a bonus but not a requirement. Entertainment, that's my requirement.

With that said, I intentionally made time to watch it a second time, specifically because I really enjoyed the ride. The idea that a drug can make you better than you are is what a lot of people wish for - these guys found it, and this man made the progression from 'getting high' to 'how can I maximize this?' The progression from useless wannabe to addict, to mixed up with street thugs, then international thugs and operating at their level...then above their level. That was great.

I used to get more into the analysis of a film, and trust me, soundtrack and lighting and camera angles and dialogue...all that still matters to me, but I'm not hung up on them. As long as I enjoy the ride and am entertained, I'm ok. Though, you should know, I've also spent countless weekends binging on utterly pointless and craptastic films - not because they suck, but because I was curious and once I begin I can't stop until the end, no matter how bad it is (and I have seen some of the worst films made).

But the analysis beyond entertainment still occurs at some level. I couldn't tell you shit about the soundtrack - which means it didn't stand out as good or bad. The cast? Pretty good. I really have enjoyed Bradley Cooper in a variety of roles over the years, and this has been one of the better fits for him. De Niro always delivers, and it was nice to see him come out on the short end for a change. Cornish played a decent love interest, but I struggled a lot with their relationship in the film, wanting him to be what she always wanted as a means to win her back...and then end up being honest and letting her out of it because he was an act....but I suppose the film gave me the answer in the end, the drug made him the man HE wanted to be, and she wanted that? I dunno, it seemed in part like she believed he was sober and awesome, or she accepted the addicted awesome as a whole package.

Plot wise, it is a simple premise taken to the nth degree, bringing us along his path of development and maturing. Fictional in that it ends with the uber powers some of us wish we had, and the happy ending that he gets it all.

I can see this criticism, and desire for a different message. But it's not what the creator (author, director, whomever) wanted to do with it. I can see the marketability going down if it ends with a drug crash or suicide, but I can see the value in the ending you describe. And, I see the value in the path you describe, something that provides more heart racing challenges for him beyond thug fights, which are, quite honestly, somewhat ho-hum. I'd definitely see a version with your twist, but I'm also quite satisfied with this film the way it is. Likely in my top 10. (HA, migration to XF must have reset the poll...I'm the only vote!)

^I liked the score. Subtle, but fitting.

To those who didn't care for the ending, or second half of the film: read the book. It was called 'The Dark Fields' but was later retitled Limitless when the film came out. It's different enough from the movie to make it a worthwhile read.

The infinite zoom through New York is one of the coolest effects I've ever seen in a movie.

I think the concept has been done before to a certain degree (Flowers for Algernon comes to mind).

'Lucy' took the smart drug concept a few steps further and was also an interesting watch.

The infinite zoom through New York is one of the coolest effects I've ever seen in a movie.

I remembered that, and thinking how it had to be patched together. I kept looking for jump points in the shot where different shots could have been stitched together. Still, it was a great effect for the dialogue at the moment about 'losing ones self' and not knowing how he got somewhere. I thought it was a real slick way to help the audience share the experience of slipping through time and space to discover you aren't where you thought you were going.

'Lucy' took the smart drug concept a few steps further and was also an interesting watch.

Yeah, I loved that film a lot as well, but it went further into that fictional world, where I felt like Limitless was possible in the real world, or at least 'more possible'. Though, Lucy went the direction awesome is looking for of 'this is going to kill me, what do I do?'.

= = = ==

Thanks for the tip on the book, I hadn't considered it (it takes me foorrrreeevvvvaaahhhhh to read things). But I have a vacation coming up maybe I can start in on it. Was it stand alone, or part of a series, do you know?