• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Just came back from the doctor...

MrBarrettBrown

Greenlighter
Hello everybody,
This is the first time I have posted on here, and I would love to get some feedback.

My Doctor started me on 10 mg of Adderall (Amphem Salts) about three months ago. The first month and a half I was taking it, I experienced no side effects except for having slight trouble falling asleep at night. About two weeks ago I noticed some side effects. It seemed like my heart was pounding harder than it should be all day long consistently. I am an EMT student, and in one of my classes last week I was the patient for a scenario. My instructor is a 30 year paramedic and noticed my blood pressure and pulse were unbelievably high for a resting rate. I have a resting systolic BP of 130-160 and a resting pulse of 95-110 BPM.

I put off making an appointment for a couple of days but finally got around to it today. I just came back from my appointment and my doctor told me to immediately stop taking it. ( I completely understand this, especially with my background education with drug use ) Although what struck me as odd was when I asked him what could be an alternative to the Adderall since it obviously needs to change, he seemed very upset with me and said he will not even discuss other alternatives until we meet on Tuesday, April 7th. I personally thought it was kind of rude to have my doctor whom I have gone to since I was a kid, kind of disregard my concerns and questions.

So basically, my question for you guys is, what other alternatives do you think I would be looking at for replacing my Adderall? I am very worried about this whole situation because the past three months on my Adderall have benefited me with my education and goals like nothing ever has before. Now my Doctor just took it away basically leaving me to fend for myself with my schoolwork until Tuesday. Thankfully, I am on spring break right now so I will not have to worry about going to class without my Adderall. (Which is nearly impossible for me. Whenever I have gone to class without taking Adderall, I literally CANNOT focus. It seems like I can't think nearly as effective as I usually am able too.)

Also, when I got put on Adderall three months ago I weighed 145 pounds and I am 5'11, I am also 18 years old. Since then, For about two months I have consistently gone to the gym almost every single morning at 5 am to work out, and have been eating unbelievably healthy. One of the first things my doctor did when he walked in the room was make a derogatory remark about my weight and said I looked pale than checked my eyes. Kind of like he was suspecting me of abusing the adderall. Not only that, but he made multiple remarks that seemed like I was being accused of abusing the adderall. (Which I haven't)

Anyway, whatever input you guys have for me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

It sounds like you need a non amphetamine and I assume you're taking this for ADHD? The only thing I can think of is atomoxetine (Strattera) which is touted as a non stimulant ADHD drug, though I have no personal experience with it.

Find a different doctor.

I know people who have ADD/ADHD who are or were EMTs and they have taken Ritalin, Dexedrine, Vyvanse, Adderall, or Strattera.

Being an EMT puts a person under a lot of stress, maybe you are getting some anxiety?

Last edited:
Yes I am taking it for ADD. Although another side effect I forgot to mention which relates, is Anxiety. I have noticed a HUGE increase in anxiety the past few weeks.

Side note: I also have my Recreational Marijuana Card and occasionally smoke, I usually smoke at night to help reduce the effects of adderall. It's getting much harder to sleep when you heart is beating 100 times per minute.:p

Also, the main reason why I am extremely stressed out about this situation is my EMT class. It is a very hard class (there are 40 people in it and only 4 people have a grade high enough to get certified, and I am one of them) But I am very skeptical about this now because I can almost guarantee I will not be able to pass that class and get certified without ADD medication that works. I am afraid if I get put on a less stimulant or non-addictive ADD medication, it won't help as much. I definitely like the stimulus part of adderall because it makes me 100% attentive during the day and from what I have read, adderall is one of the few ADD medications that will successfully keep you stimulated all day.

Maybe try taking a lower dose for a few days and see what happens. If you have access to benzos like clonazepam or alprazolam you can take these before bedtime to mitigate the stimulant effects.

I am a retired paramedic but still keep my license current with 20+ years in emergency medicine maybe you should see a cardiologist my resting heart rate is over 100 as well it's been up to 160's just standing still I have a rare incurable heart disease which makes my heart rate so high and have had 2 ablasions and go to pain management to endure it but it all started by figuring out my heart rate was too high not to scare you but better to know your body's baselines without drugs then see what you can tolerate good luck

Marijuana, though usually relaxing, can also increase blood pressure, pulse rate, and anxiety. This could be a contributing factor, but it sounds like you are particularly sensitive to the peripheral effects of amphetamine. Switching to dexamphetamine could help reduce peripheral side effects, though it sounds like your doctor would be resistant to that.

Sounds like there is no question about the cause I hope you find an answer that helps and good luck with your EMT career

Hate to be that guy, but if you can't pass the class without performing enhancing drugs, maybe you should reconsider your majors? Adderal doesn't work forever, and it's side effects get progressively worse.

Hey OP

There are two alternatives I can think of that exist and are legal to obtain (However not legal to consume as a nutritional supplement)

Ephedra and DMAA are two amphetamine related compounds that may benefit you.
There are still a lot of different sports supplements and weight loss aids that contain them.

Also, Nootropics like piracetam, Choline bitratate, huperzine, sulbutiamine can also help in aiding with memory and concentration.

Nothing is going to give you the sharp intense focus that an amphetamine has, however those should at least come closer to anything else legal.

First Off.... Fuck your doctor, I've had so many shitty doctors over the years it's unbelievable so I totally get that. So get a new doctor, do some research and find yourself the best doctor in the area. Second is Vyvanse, I'm surprised nobody else brought it up. Vyvanse is an amphetamine like Adderall, however it is processed by the body in a different manner that makes the experience more smooth/easier to tolerate/less side effects so to speak as long as you are at the right dose that is. It is offered in a wide range of doses 20mg to 70mg a day, you take it in the morning and it lasts all day for most people I would say. Up to 14 hours of benefit. It is also difficult to abuse, can't be snorted and your body can only process so much of it at a time so taking more once you reach a certain dose won't do any good. Basically doctors are more likely to prescribe it. So get a new doctor say you were prescribed Adderall and bring in some proof, and say it was to rough on your body and you think Vyvanse starting at a low dose is something you are interested in trying. Yeah, school without stimulants is a bitcb yep it is. Also look into Modafinil it can help ADHD to some degree even though it isn't allowed to be prescribed for ADHD. Best of luck, have any questions hit me up

Your pulse rate doesn't even sound that high, to be honest. Normal is usually quoted as 60-100, but usually older people or athletes get as low as 60. Your systolic pressure is high, but not astronomically so. Plenty of people are in the 200's and not necessarily in immediate danger...don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting you keept taking the drug if it's causing that - I'm just trying to reassure you that those numbers aren't particularly dangerous for a young person if modified relatively early on.

Oh and by the way, your rude doctor unfortunately doesn't surprise me in the least. After all, how many of us here were friendly and well-liked by our doctors, only to suddenly be seen as junkie scumbags as soon as they discovered that we had any addiction problems whatsoever? It really sucks, but so-called "junkies" are likely going to be some of the last medically-discriminated against people; more ironic than sad in a culture that continues to place so much emphasis on so-called "harmless" prescription drugs.

I wonder what percent of your doctor's paycheck was earned either directly or indirectly feeding off the addiction of some poor ignorant soul?

Your pulse rate doesn't even sound that high, to be honest. Normal is usually quoted as 60-100, but usually older people or athletes get as low as 60. Your systolic pressure is high, but not astronomically so. Plenty of people are in the 200's and not necessarily in immediate danger...don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting you keept taking the drug if it's causing that - I'm just trying to reassure you that those numbers aren't particularly dangerous for a young person if modified relatively early on.

Good practitioners, from my experience, are paid to help people prepare more so for the long term and not the short term. Overtime, HBP level 2 (sys 150+) can do things such as enlarge your heart and harden the arteries which will kill you prematurely.

Oh and by the way, your rude doctor unfortunately doesn't surprise me in the least. After all, how many of us here were friendly and well-liked by our doctors, only to suddenly be seen as junkie scumbags as soon as they discovered that we had any addiction problems whatsoever? It really sucks, but so-called "junkies" are likely going to be some of the last medically-discriminated against people; more ironic than sad in a culture that continues to place so much emphasis on so-called "harmless" prescription drugs.

I wonder what percent of your doctor's paycheck was earned either directly or indirectly feeding off the addiction of some poor ignorant soul?

Has nothing to do with your doctor being "judgmental" has everything to do with him doing his job. If he opening prescribes abuse-able type medications to people who have addiction issues, he could lose his licence and be out of the job.

First Off.... Fuck your doctor, I've had so many shitty doctors over the years it's unbelievable so I totally get that. So get a new doctor, do some research and find yourself the best doctor in the area. Second is Vyvanse, I'm surprised nobody else brought it up. Vyvanse is an amphetamine like Adderall, however it is processed by the body in a different manner that makes the experience more smooth/easier to tolerate/less side effects so to speak as long as you are at the right dose that is. It is offered in a wide range of doses 20mg to 70mg a day, you take it in the morning and it lasts all day for most people I would say. Up to 14 hours of benefit. It is also difficult to abuse, can't be snorted and your body can only process so much of it at a time so taking more once you reach a certain dose won't do any good. Basically doctors are more likely to prescribe it. So get a new doctor say you were prescribed Adderall and bring in some proof, and say it was to rough on your body and you think Vyvanse starting at a low dose is something you are interested in trying. Yeah, school without stimulants is a bitcb yep it is. Also look into Modafinil it can help ADHD to some degree even though it isn't allowed to be prescribed for ADHD. Best of luck, have any questions hit me up

I don't think I'd call his doctor "Shitty"... More like cautious.
Vyvanse just can't be broken down by the body fast enough to produce a "Rush". His BP and heart rate will probably still be pretty high on it.

Last edited:
Your pulse rate doesn't even sound that high, to be honest. Normal is usually quoted as 60-100, but usually older people or athletes get as low as 60....
Just a thought about resting HR from my observation, I know 60-100 is usually quoted to be normal but in my opinion, the healthy range is really only 60-80. The range 80-100, while not being directly dangerous usually signs sometihng with your cardio system is not very good. Most people I know who do any kind of sport usually have RHR of 60-70, including me, and we are far from being athletes. We just exercise moderately 2-3times a week and aren't obese. All the people I know who have HR of 90-100 are either in terrible shape (like literally their only physical activity is walking from the office to the car or fridge), heavy smokers, heavy drinkers or any combination.

Now the actual athletes typically have much lower than 60, my kickbox trainer has 49 and he's not even actual athlete, tour de france cyclists who have notiously low RHR tend to be under 45. Tour de France nutjob Miguel Induarin at his peak had 28 (!).

IMO resting HR is really a solid indicator of cardio fitness, from my measurements the lower I have it the better I feel and can exercise harder in direct proportion. After a booze+stims binge it takes several days for my rhr to drop to the usual 60-65 and with every beat less per minute I feel noticeably better overall. 95-110 is definitely very high and means OP probably shouldn't take amphetamine again. In fact 90-100 is my target value for being very high on amps and that's after ingesting hundreds mgs, when I reach 120 I start to freak out and it's a sure sign of way overdoing the stims.