• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Jumping off suboxone from 12mg daily?

Man amino fuck wjat the doctor sakd if you feel so much better then thats all that matters. Just cuz the doc saiid irll take two weeks dont let that deter youu, so far youve been a hell.of a success story and motovator for m e ggetting clean too. Keep it up youre almost at the end and i know u can see the ligbt

R

@@@_@@

It's now 4:34AM on my 9th day of recovery and the only symptoms are a bit of restlessness (hence being awake this early), lethargy (low energy) and some diarrhoea (only just started). It's sort of like just feeling a bit under the weather with a cold. The valium last night was brilliant, I was dead asleep within 20 minutes of taking it! I guess I will take one each night until I'm completely back to normal.

And yeah I sort of don't see how the doctor can be correct in acute withdrawal symptoms lasting 2 weeks, as I'm pretty much over it now, and most of all I have no cravings for opiates.

Yesterday I actually went out to have some tacos and beer so as to celebrate, lol, and so I could get my legs moving. I then went to the clinic I usually go to and informed them I'm no longer on the program, they were pretty shocked at someone jumping off at 12mg, but were happy for me. There are some good people who work there.

Looking back I should've gone to get some benzos at the start. It would've made it a lot easier. Oh well.

Sorry if someone's written this but the whole idea of it taking 15 months to get over the PAWS is just rubbish. If you exercise a little each day and eat well then you should be pretty much back to normal within 2-3 months. When I did a quick taper off of methadone in a residential rehab I was fine (after hitting zero from 24mg inside two weeks) in about that time. Don't take on all this stuff when you're going through a rattle as it just sets you back and keeps you worried - you're addict wants to use any excuse to use again and fearmongering plays into it's hands perfectly.

Just keep strong, do a taper over a month maximum down to 2mg and grin and bear it. It really isn't very bad and can be made much easier with good diet and aforementioned excercise. Oh, and lots of sex if you can get it.

I'd suggest tapering lower (for others thinking of getting off of bupe, at least down to .5mg), but other than that, I like this post. I feel like there is a lot of negativity, as well as exageration when it comes to buprenorphine withdrawals. I think that the real problem is that people are often mislead into believing that buprenorphine is somehow "not like" other opioids when it comes to withdrawing, and that's bullshit. The only thing unique about its w/d is that it lasts longer due to the half life (like methadone). When I quit bupe the first time I felt like dirt for two weeks, and then after about 21 days I felt pretty good once I started eating properly and getting sleep again. Even when I kicked a year long go with methadone, at 100 mg/day, the PAWS only lasted six months, and I wasn't even tapered off of it. That's not to say some people wont experience very drawn out withdrawal, PAWS symptoms, obviously the longer you're on bupe or meth, the longer your withdrawals will be, and of course there are some people that will be 'lifers'...But claiming that you're still going to feel like complete shit after a year is not true.

If you work towards living a productive and meaningful life without opiates, you will eventually reap the rewards. But it does take some serious work. I've done it before, but I became arrogant, and slowly over time resentments started to build and within little time I was shooting up smack and cocaine again. But I had a good 6 or so months where I was pretty damn happy without using heroin.

Thanks for the post Znegative. I definitely agree that there is a whole heap of overkill when describing buprenorphine withdrawal. Over the past few days I've been told anywhere from a week to 3 months to recover. In my experience I've actually found the withdrawals to be much easier than most people would make it out to be.

One thing I would disagree on though is the idea that Suboxone withdrawal is not overly different to other opiates. One of the doctors I saw pointed out that because Suboxone has an epic half-life, the withdrawal period is much smoother and you don't experience that massive *crash*, and so the period of withdrawal is stretched out but not as intense as other common opiates. Then again drugs are a funny thing in that they affect different people differently.

Hope that makes sense.

It's now 4:34AM on my 9th day of recovery and the only symptoms are a bit of restlessness (hence being awake this early), lethargy (low energy) and some diarrhoea (only just started). It's sort of like just feeling a bit under the weather with a cold. The valium last night was brilliant, I was dead asleep within 20 minutes of taking it! I guess I will take one each night until I'm completely back to normal.

Be careful with the valium because you don't want to become dependent on that, or to become addicted to it. I would only take it for 3 nights and then stop.

And yeah I sort of don't see how the doctor can be correct in acute withdrawal symptoms lasting 2 weeks, as I'm pretty much over it now, and most of all I have no cravings for opiates.

While some of the withdrawal symptoms may last that long, it's going to get better each day so don't worry about it. My withdrawals lasted about 2 weeks, but were a lot better after about 8 days and the rest of the time was just sleeping and appetite problems which slowly subsided.

^That doctor does have a point. When tapered correctly, buprenorphine, as well as methadone, should have a "smoother" withdrawal, albeit longer lasting... However, if you try and jump off at an unreasonable dosage, the come down can be just as brutal as heroin.

What doctors first told me back in 2007, was that since bupe was a "partial agonist", it was almost non-habit forming. I was really lead to believe that I could jump off at any point without any repercussions. This is obviously a bunch of bullshit, which unfortunately is still fed to people, who are all too happy to buy it up, as who wouldn't want a real miracle pill. What people should know is that while buprenorphine is a partial agonist, with limited effects, it is still an incredibly potent opioid, and therefor must be respected as one when it comes to a taper. If all that is understood, and your expectations are realistic, than kicking suboxone is definately possible!

@Tommyboy

Yep I would definitely agree with all of that. Around day 8 for me was the major turning point where I could finally start acting normally and the acute symptoms subsided.

The doctor only gave me 6 x 5mg valium tablets because I asked him: "I was wondering if there was anything that has little to no abuse potential but will allow me to get some sleep. The last thing I want is to swap one addiction for another."

His reply was "all of them have abuse potential, but I'll definitely give you something so you can rest."

So yeah I only have a tiny bit of valium, enough to get me into the safe-zone, but not enough to build a benzo addiction.

:) Thanks for the replies everyone, it really does help.

@Znegative

Yeah I probably wouldn't recommend jumping off 12mg to the average suboxone patient. I was in a unique situation where tapering really was not an option because the doctor wanted me to stay on the high dose. Tapering would definitely be the more successful option *on average*. I've looked pretty hard but can't find any stories of other people successfully cold-turkeying 12mg/daily.

That's absolutely crazy about the doctor telling you Suboxone isn't habit forming. It's surely just as addictive as any of the other major opiates.

You are a tough SOB. Congratulations!

Congrats Amino! You've actually given me some hope. I'm about to jump from .5mg from (compared to you) an extremely low dose/short duration regimen. Even after abusing heroin for the better part of 25 years with more cold turkey sessions than I care to think about (dozens)... I've become so conditioned to being terrorized of the pain of withdrawal that I end up staying in the same loop of insanity and justification of "maintenance" doses of Suboxone or heroin.

I'm shocked that your Dr. would have you on 12mgs with no taper plan. I see it here in N.J. all the time: the money motivation to keep patients addicted to a medicine. I was going to go to a sub Dr. to get off a relatively low grade dope habit, and he wanted to put me on 32mg daily from the gate. I'm dumb, but not stupid. The same thing has gone on for years with the methadone programs... Doctors putting people on ridiculous doses. The last time I was on methadone, fifteen years ago, I was three days away from my last bag and signed on just to get over the hard part. The Dr. immediately put me on 55mg. State Sanctioned Drug Dealing as far as I'm concerned.

Anyhow, I'm glad to have read your experience and I hope you hang in there.

I second that cnlongradulations. Accompanied by a little envy of your withdrawals being thru the worst part and mine not evem started again yet :(

Hey, Kratom is legal in the US and you have some Bali, so... no complaining! ;)

You've got the proper tools for the WD, it's just up to you to decide if you're done with getting high.

Yea i have a good ammount of bali maybe like 80 grams amd then a 50 gram sample whixh is 10g of five diff kinds so ill be using that when i am ready. I wanna save the samples of kratom for when im clean tho so im hoping just the 80g is enough for withdrawals, i really enjoy kratpm when off dope and wanna see wut theyre really like

Oh and i bought a bunch of capsuoes and capped like 60 pills earlier.,.. will make it possible to get down even if im real sick.... fuck toss n wash when dope sick its so hard to get down (i can always get it down when sober too but it sucks ass.... needed caps to take tobwork too tho!!)

@FrizzleFry

Yeah I think the doctor didn't want to bring my dose down because he knew of my depression, and I think he didn't want my depression to worsen so kept me at the same dose, even with me asking to go down. Thanks for the encouragement and I hope your plan works out.

@Jones-in_J

That's pretty cool how kratom is legal in the US (it's illegal to buy/possess here in Australia). If I was you I would take maximum advantage of that and stockpile some. Coupled with the other tools you have it seems you're ready and equipped to pay the piper :)

Also for anyone else reading this who is doing a withdrawal plan, go to your local doctor first and just explain your situation. Make sure it doesn't seem like you're sourcing drugs for fun, but just nicely explain you're in the middle of withdrawing and would like "something with little/no abuse potential that will help me sleep", and I can virtually guarantee the doctor will give you at least something to help.

ALSO make sure you have ready access to distractants, like lots of awesome music and YouTube, or anything else you can think of. Distraction is everything. At least that's how I dealt with it.

It's now 2:05 Friday, and I haven't had any Suboxone since last Tuesday. All withdrawal symptoms seem to be gone. I think the "many weeks" hypothesis is greatly exaggerated. I feel like I've been awakened afresh. Everything seems suddenly more interesting and beautiful than when I was on Suboxone. I'm smiling a lot more, and have plenty of energy.

Thanks to everyone who helped me through this :)

Yea i have a good ammount of bali maybe like 80 grams amd then a 50 gram sample whixh is 10g of five diff kinds so ill be using that when i am ready. I wanna save the samples of kratom for when im clean tho so im hoping just the 80g is enough for withdrawals, i really enjoy kratpm when off dope and wanna see wut theyre really like

Oh and i bought a bunch of capsuoes and capped like 60 pills earlier.,.. will make it possible to get down even if im real sick.... fuck toss n wash when dope sick its so hard to get down (i can always get it down when sober too but it sucks ass.... needed caps to take tobwork too tho!!)

I dont mean to rain on yer' (someday) parade but if you have woke up any kind of tolerance, kratom will feel like henp for w/d's If you stray away from the snag for a few months, I wish you well in getting any contentment from this (virgin's) plant.

I came off ay 4mgs...never really felt that crappy with the right meds and was chemical free after 10 days...felt COMPLETELY normal after 14 days...has literally changed my life...people exaggerate about the withdrawals so much that literally EVERYONE in my docs office is deathly afraid of even tapering to a low dose. In my opinion there needs to be more people like us that tell people what it's really like. Althougth I suggested that coming off at that high of a dose is a waste of time, if you did it, MORE POWER TO YOU. I exercise everyday now, and have SOO much energy. Thinking back on it, life on suboxone was miserable...

Glad to read someone who is not exagerating symtoms for once.

I am at 1mg..been back and forth from bupe to dope for a few yeras. I actually came from 80mg methadone to 12mg bupe and eventually made it down to 1mg. Does this happen to anyone else? I dose .5mg in the morning and .5 12 hr later at night. By the 8hr mark I start yawning (you know those withdrawal yawns). I feel physically OK but its like CLOCK work.

I always wonder to my self how I would feel just dropping off at 1mg totally, but when the yawns start im like fuck that llol. But damn bro 12mg for 4 years and you are already feelin OK. Props to that. I should just finish these last 5 2mg with a quick taper then cut off andsee how it goes.

@hamwaggle

Well done at getting off the Suboxone! May I ask what meds you used to lessen the symptoms (just out of curiosity)? Also when you exercised on Bupe did you get nauseous? I went on a hike once just after taking Bupe and was spewing my guts up. This happened *every* time I attempted heavy cardio exercise -- the most intense nausea imaginable.

@swain

Dude you should definitely try to do the jump if you feel you're in the right circumstances to do so. Just make sure you do it during a holiday period where you have like 1.5-2 weeks to get it done. You've already paid the piper for 11/12mg, so you're nearly there.

Personally suboxone had me yawning nearly all the time, lol. There definitely is that *up-down* clockwork aspect to it, especially when I took double doses (the clinic I went to allowed that).

I just told my Mum on the phone about coming off Suboxone and she was over-the-moon. I still remember she cried when she found out about my addiction, so it feels so great to be able to show her different.

Nice man im happy for you that you got to tell your mom about this accomplishment. I know how good it can feel.... after shooting heroin and living in my car and getting kicked out of my house i got clean for about a year and i remember my mom almost crying she was so haopy and it felt great