Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

journal article on harm reduction strategies for ecstasy use

Tronica

Executive Director
Staff member
I just read this newly-published journal article which people here might be interested in:

Panagopoulos, I., & Ricciardelli, L. A. (2005). Harm reduction and decision making among recreational ecstasy users. International Journal of Drug Policy, 16, 54-64.

Abstract:

Recent research indicates that 3,4-methylene-dioxymethamphetamine (MDMA), also known as ‘ecstasy’, is becoming increasingly popular as an illicit drug among young people. This study investigated risk and harm reduction practices among recreational ecstasy users. A semi-structured interview with 40 participants was designed to investigate how ecstasy users identify and manage the harms associated with their drug use, and the underlying decision-making process. Overall, the participants identified both positive and negative effects. The reported positive effects predominantly centred around enhanced psychological, physiological and social experiences. However, there were a number of factors that contributed to regulating ecstasy use. These included specific in-group and out-group practices executed within the peer group, preventative harm-reducing practices, shared decision making, and shared responsibility for harm prevention. Recommendations for promoting harm reduction strategies and suggestions for future research are discussed.

The research was conducted in Melbourne - so some of you may have even participated. I have the pdf if others are interested (my email is [email protected])

cheers
monica

I get them from a subscribed online service and they seem to big to upload with the post...

I'd really like to read this study and as a uni student I have access to a large number of social and medical journals, online and otherwise, is this something that your average big uni would have access to?

satricion - only way to find out is to check your university journal catalogue - however i'll email Mac the pdf and should be available from here

^
Agreed. Shall enjoy reading this when next I get a decent amount of time to stare at my screen. Ta :)

Great thread, shame there isn't more comment on how government policies can work to better encourage harm reducation..

I think it's unreasonable for people to expect the government to just go "ahhh forget it, people can use drugs, I'm sick of trying to get this 'prohibition' thing to work", but I wish governments would realise that harm-reducation can work quite happily with prohibitionist movements as well... I know there are needle-exchanges, but I would have though really well done, and informative non-biased pamphlets would be pretty cheap, and very cost effective... but then again, "dangerous" MDMA use probably doesn't actaully cost the health sector very much directly... unlike dangerous IV drug usage, and alcohol abuse.