• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Jordan Peterson's year of 'absolute hell': Professor forced to retreat from public life because of addiction

The guy is a fucking legend that represents an island of common sense and logical thinking in the modern sea of outrage politics. He comes across as an extremely intelligent and compassionate man and I hope he recovers enough to continue public life because the world needs people like him.

My heart goes out to him and his family, hopefully he'll pull through this.

hes a fool and a acacamdeic asshole that appeals to the unintellgient while truly smart people ingore him he prescribed himself benzos on the regular and now got burnt.

Last edited by a moderator:
hes a fool and a acacamdeic asshole that appeals to the unintellgient while truly smart people ingore him he prescribed himself benzos on the regular and now got burnt.

Yeah that's observably nonsense in all respects:

Truly smart people ignore him.....given that he's a professor it seems that at some point some really quite intelligent people have recognised his potential. He is also supported by very many intelligent people, both academics and otherwise, around the world. I'm a member of Mensa.

He prescribed himself benzos....did he? Do you have any evidence for that?

Why don't you try using a reasoned argument supported by evidence to debate something he has said that you disagree with? I'd love to discuss anything you've taken issue with, what is it about his philosophy that you don't agree with?

Last edited by a moderator:
You should not be worshipping or praising anyone that see you as nothing more than debt slave or a cow.

Glad to see hes getting better. Thanks for the update shady! Looking forward to his next lectures.

I often see people talking very harshly of the man, but I've never actually seen a video fragment of him where he says outrageous things. I even searched on the internet for a while, all I could find were people claiming he was all sorts of bad stuff without any 'proof'.

I'd love to see some, there are hundreds of videos of him, if he really is that much of a racist and bigot there must be quite a bit right? I understand that people don't like the following or environment around him but he's a smart guy and he thought about stuff, there's value in listening without necessarily agreeing.

You won't find a video fragment of him saying something outrageous because he never says anything outrageous.

Unfortunately many people these days are more interested in being outraged than actually listening to what is being said and choose to construct strawman arguments to further their agenda. You can be sure than no one speaking negatively of him in this thread will actually engage in reasoned discussion on the subject, it is a feature of many of his critics.

If you've never watched his stuff, watch his latest Maps of Meaning lecture series, at least the first lecture. Gorgeous, engaging lecture giving.

The piece of shit has called for the shutting down of Canada's Human Right, which deals with cases where employers are taken to court for discrimination on the basis race, gender and creed. Nice guy!

This thread is a lot more polarized than I thought it'd be. We either have people sucking him off or proclaiming he's the devil incarnate.

I often see people talking very harshly of the man, but I've never actually seen a video fragment of him where he says outrageous things. I even searched on the internet for a while, all I could find were people claiming he was all sorts of bad stuff without any 'proof'.

I'd love to see some, there are hundreds of videos of him, if he really is that much of a racist and bigot there must be quite a bit right? I understand that people don't like the following or environment around him but he's a smart guy and he thought about stuff, there's value in listening without necessarily agreeing.

It is true that Peterson is often the subject of unfair attacks, like that one terrible BBC interview he did where the host went off half-cocked and ended up looking like an ass.

It's also true that you won't find any statements of Peterson's that sound overtly right-wing or reactionary. That's not how Peterson speaks, he's not a Trump-like character. More often than not he seems to speak in vague, ambiguous statements, but with some real gravitas & intellectual clout behind it so you think that he's actually said something, rather than try and cloak simple moral/ethical "truths" (or weak ideas) behind rhetoric. But that kind of thing has been a staple of the self-help industry for a long time

To me that style of Peterson's seems to serve two purposes, 1) is that it allows the audience to draw their own conclusions, to some extent, about what Peterson happens to be speaking about, and 2) it allows Peterson and his defenders to say, whenever people try to pin him down on a specific position or opinion of his, that their misunderstanding him and what he's saying. That's why one of the posters previous to me is definitely correct when they say that it's ironic that Peterson criticizes the post-modernists, as these kinds of tactics are straight outta their playbook lol

Last edited:
Or alternatively, pretty much nothing in life is black and white or absolute and he speaks in a way that reflects the ambiguous or unclear nature of many of the subjects he is called on to discuss.

People who are absolutely sure that they're right are very rarely worth listening to.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

-Bertrand Russell

OK. But acknowledging the inherent uncertainty of morality or ethics etc. doesn't really lend itself to self-help, does it? It doesn't lend itself to saying that "I know the right way for you to live your life, but then again, how are we to make any definitive statements on any of these questions?" That's the paradox, the fact that he's this daddy figure who brings reality to these SJW post-modernists, but also loves to indulge in all of this weird abstract bullshit about archtypes and "ennobling your soul" and who knows what else

Last edited:
I was told by a nurse years ago that xanax wasn't normally habit forming etc., so I don't find it hard to believe that he ended up in trouble he did without knowing. Just because he's a public figure doesn't mean he's immune from making mistakes. As for his views, I don't really know anything about him.

The piece of shit has called for the shutting down of Canada's Human Right, which deals with cases where employers are taken to court for discrimination on the basis race, gender and creed. Nice guy!

Labour tribunals deal with that. Never mind the fact that owing to our Charter of Rights and Freedoms, they're entirely superfluous.

Incidentally, calling for them to be shut down says nothing about how nice a person is or anything about whether or not they are a bigot or racist.

I was told by a nurse years ago that xanax wasn't normally habit forming etc., so I don't find it hard to believe that he ended up in trouble he did without knowing. Just because he's a public figure doesn't mean he's immune from making mistakes. As for his views, I don't really know anything about him.

Yeah, but he's a clinical psychologist so I'm not sure ignorance would be an excuse in his case.

This thread is a lot more polarized than I thought it'd be. We either have people sucking him off or proclaiming he's the devil incarnate.

hahaha....that's what it's been with him ever since the pronoun nonsense.

Personally, I don't have a strong opinion of the guy. He's a psychologist who seems to have made some people's lives better through his self-improvement schtick.
Good on him. I'm not a fan nor am I a detractor.

I've watched a bunch of his stuff and am left with an impression that he's a smart dude who was expanded his clinical psychology practice globally through his self-help stuff. Benign as all hell. The negative reactions to him are hilarious in their almost invariably egregious hyperbole.

One thing I will say in his defence, because this sort of shit pisses me off, is that he's mischaracterised a lot.

Oh I was just watching his video's.
He has allot to say and experience also with what he is sharing with information and knowledge.
I like him quite a bit because he is actually a real person or at least he shares his inspirations.
He has educated himself on a subject he knows alot about.
He brings energy into what I am existing in and experiencing alot of through physical well being attached with mental abilities that are so much many times connected together. Many more times than not, is what seems to happen quite often.
Anyway I enjoy him, and he is great company. It is inspiring to become some what more educated through many of his interviews !

Oh and I don't care about his medical situation. Isn't that what we are all struggling with as well and trying to overcome.

This is real life, or at least I feel like it is now that I can relate to his education and knowledge.

I am so sorry he had gone through hardships also. I wish him a speedy recovery.

It must be difficult to have to be maintaining a public position with having to go through a traumatic loss in his family.

Difficult times are quite a battle even in private.
Anyway I learned and was influenced alot from the help he presents with and I appreciate so much that he has been able to contribute to mental awareness and the help with prescribed medications that can be available to alleviate struggles.

Oh wow, did I just become chatty.Thank you for allowing me to add my babble. ♡

Yeah, but he's a clinical psychologist so I'm not sure ignorance would be an excuse in his case.

Idk? A psychologist isn't the same as a psychiatrist. I think it's totally feasible that he didn't know the ramifications or being on benzos.

Last edited:
OK. But acknowledging the inherent uncertainty of morality or ethics etc. doesn't really lend itself to self-help, does it? It doesn't lend itself to saying that "I know the right way for you to live your life, but then again, how are we to make any definitive statements on any of these questions?" That's the paradox, the fact that he's this daddy figure who brings reality to these SJW post-modernists, but also loves to indulge in all of this weird abstract bullshit about archtypes and "ennobling your soul" and who knows what else

Conversely I dont see any paradox there at all. These two ideas are not mutually exclusive:

1. Much of life is inherently ambiguous and characterisable as shades of grey rather than black or white, so it makes sense to constantly question our own ideas and thoughts and consider that maybe we dont know as much as we would like to think we know.

2. To achieve anything in life you generally have to decide on a philosophy or paradigm that is going to drive your actions and frame the way in which you behave in relation to particular situations. If we dont construct these frames and lenses through which we view life and enable our brains to simplify the world enough to be able to decode it and respond with action we end up floating about in a philosophical soup and never actually applying our beliefs as positive action in our lives.

That is a super simple ser of parameters that everyone and anyone should employ when they try to engage in abstract thought about ANY concept or action they take in their life. It's the basic building blocks of thinking in a way that enables us to reliably discover ever greater truths about reality and the nature of our existence.

So yeah, I cant agree with you on any level whatsoever. That thing that you see as distasteful because it doesnt fit your stereotype of how a certain person should behave is actually the basic tool they are utilising that is allowing them to communicate in a way that comes across as logical and considered instead of emotive and disorganised in the way I see your comment.