• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Jordan Peterson's year of 'absolute hell': Professor forced to retreat from public life because of addiction

S.J.B.

Bluelight Crew
Jordan Peterson's year of 'absolute hell': Professor forced to retreat from public life because of addiction
Joseph Brean
National Post
February 7th, 2020
Jordan Peterson is recovering from a severe addiction to benzodiazepine tranquilizers and was recently near death in an induced coma, his daughter Mikhaila said.

He is being treated at a clinic in Russia after being repeatedly misdiagnosed at several hospitals in North America, she said.

The University of Toronto psychologist who became an intellectual hero to a global audience by aligning self-help theory with anti-progressive politics was first prescribed the medication a few years ago to treat anxiety after what Mikhaila described as an autoimmune reaction to food. His physical dependence on it became apparent to his family last April, when his wife Tammy was diagnosed with cancer.

The last year, which saw him retreat from public life after swiftly becoming one of the most famous authors in the world, has been an “absolute hell,” said Mikhaila, also a well known speaker on diet, who advocates eating only beef.

In November, he went to a rehabilitation centre in New York. He has previously discussed his long history of depression.
Read the full story here.

I've never really liked him as a public figure, either the intellectual/political tradition he's aligned with or his weird Jungian perspectives on the brain. With that being said, I empathize with him as someone with a substance use disorder and depression...I imagine that it would be easy to turn to anything available to you in an attempt to shut your mind down after learning that your wife has cancer, etc, plus you're also this figure who is popular (for some reason lol) and that adds stress too, I'd imagine. Hopefully he has a speedy recovery!

'The doctors here have the guts to medically detox someone': Mikhaila Peterson on her father's condition
National Post
February 7th, 2020
In a video and script given to the National Post, Mikhaila Peterson provides an update on her father, the author and professor Jordan Peterson, who is currently recovering from near death at a clinic in Russia.

Hi everyone, it’s been months since we’ve given an update on Jordan and my family’s health and it’s time for one so here goes.

The last year has been absolute hell for the Petersons.

Dad was put on a low dose of a benzodiazepine a few years ago for anxiety following an extremely severe autoimmune reaction to food. He took the medication as prescribed. We weren’t aware that he was developing a physical dependence on the drug until last April when my mom was diagnosed with terminal cancer and the dose of the medication increased. It became apparent that he was experiencing a paradoxical reaction to the medication, meaning the benzos did the opposite of what they’re supposed to do. These reactions are rare but are not unheard of.

The worst symptom for dad was akathisia. Akathisia is an absolutely god awful condition where the person feels an incredible, irresistible restlessness, and an inability to sit still. It was so severe he was suicidal.
Read the full story here.

The story seems a little dubious. Peterson and his daughter are certainly a bit unusual.

Last edited:
Yea never heard of him but sounds like some privileged rich dude that had zero clue what these drugs can do and now is seemingly shocked at the results.

That said, he must have been on crazy high doses or the drugs the Russians have him on have him all loopy still. I’m assuming crazy high doses that he probably had unlimited access to. His intense withdrawal unfortunately is his own doing.

-Gc

There's no way he didn't know what he was doing, but since when has that stopped addictions from wreaking havoc?

Yeah he seems like he would be a heavy benzo user if he happened to be an addict. I'm not really surprised. Never cared for the guy and his advocacy for all meat diets is laughable but it sucks for anyone dealing with this shit even if he happens to be an overprivileged psuedo-intellectual dipshit.

even if he happens to be an overprivileged psuedo-intellectual dipshit.

Watch his Maps of Meaning and Bible lecture series on YouTube and then say that again. Or, read Maps of Meaning.

Peterson is a brilliant mind, and almost single handedly revived intellectual public discourse following his protest of pronoun laws in Canada, the subsequent controversy that followed, and the shift of attention to the Intellectual Dark Web consequent of said controversy.

He's a multi-paradigmatic thinker, and while not infallible and misguided in a few areas, is at the very, very least a light in the tunnel of dogmatic and uninspired public discourse and thinking.

I understand that he's a pseud with a lobster fetish who can't handle his drugs apparently. :unsure:

Last edited:
Some of Peterson's ideas are extremely interesting and well thought out, he is clearly an intelligent man regardless of what you think of his philosophies. I don't agree with everything he has to say but I do respect the man.

I was wondering why he suddenly went dark.

I don't much like him but I do prefer his brand of warmed-over neoconservatism to the absolute madness that has been the Republican Party post-John Kelly.

And you have to recognize the guts of anyone who makes their career stealing ideas from postmodernists while blaming all of society's problems on postmodernism. I mean, that's bold.

I was wondering why he suddenly went dark.

I don't much like him but I do prefer his brand of warmed-over neoconservatism to the absolute madness that has been the Republican Party post-John Kelly.

And you have to recognize the guts of anyone who makes their career stealing ideas from postmodernists while blaming all of society's problems on postmodernism. I mean, that's bold.

They can say anything, ''He was taking some Adderall'' nothing big, while on the other hand it could be a whole new story. In one of his lectures, even himself said that he had a past but he overcame. Can't remember what lecture though, what I wanted to say.. why you come-off with this aggressive behaviour? He's helping a lot of people, I think that teenagers nowadays really need him, they are very lucky to have him, if we had him, oh God.. I can only think. I would be beyond thankful. He may talk the same subjects that you already know or heard but in my eyes he's very unique, his visions in the psychology field. This being said, let's hope that we don't have another ''Elon Musk blazed some smoke on Joe Rogan'' -- Tesla profits drops, so on.

I love a lot of what ive heard from Jordan Peterson. I consider him to be pretty smart, even if I don't agree with every single thing he says. This just goes to show that addiction doesn't care how old you are, how smart you are or how wealthy you are. It can happen to anyone.

That's right, Joseph. But you need to remember yourself that he's a psychologist. Their work is very stressful, the environments themselves are pain in the ass, we don't even talk about people. Imagine all those shelfs, you need ''X'' paper, where the fuck is that? mhm I don't fuckin know I have like 400 closets here, should I summon Baphomet, haha. That's what i'm sayin. It's crazy.

As much as I hate public figures in the sense that I don't mourn nor cry them when something bad happens, for JP... I can't, he's him, his public persona is different. Since we here..