• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

JJJ Hottest 100 2006 (now with new 2007!!!!)

lostpunk5545

Bluelighter
An addendum to the BDO thread just won't do. NO sirree...

So who did you vote for? What tracks stood out this year for you?

And most of all why? Tell us... Nobody really cares for a list of your shitty taste in music. Back it up!

Sarah Blasko - Always On The Line: I'm absolutely in love with Sarah Blasko. This song in particular has been chilling my blood and haunting me on the car trip home from work every arvo.

Frenzal Rhomb - Fuck You And Your Stupid Band: A new Frenzal album is a big event for me. This song is hilarious and the lyrics "Fuck you and your fucken emo band" always have me shouting along. Haha :)

Spazzys - I Want A Divorce: Been loving the Spazzys this year. Great Aussie all girl punk with a huge splash of the Ramones influence shining through. The first band I'm seeing at this years BDO.

Something For Kate - Cigarettes and Suitcases: It's taken me until this long to realise how much I like the lead singer's voice. I have their back catalogue now, and even though this song was the most played off the album it's still my favourite.

Radio Birdman - You Just Make It Worse These guys have been rocking out with great punk music for longer than I've been alive. Plus they're Australian. Not my fav. off the album but worth voting for nonetheless.

Hard Ons - Her Smile Is A Wish I Can't Obtain: If you've been to a Hard Ons gig you know why I'm voting for this song. If you haven't, get cracking. PUNK ROCK!!!

NOFX - Seeing Double At The Triple Rock: Fast as hell. Nearly my fav. off the album. This lyric rules: "The one question still remains, how much more art can we take? I'll let you know when the medication wears off"

Long Blondes - Weekend Without Makeup: I'm one step away from buying this recent feature album. I really like the sentiment of this song, the house wife's persepective. Can't get enough of the lead singer's voice.

Lily Allen - Not Big: The melody of her voice on the chorus is amazing, the music is cruisy with an evil twist. And the lyrics are funny as, scorning an ex lover: "All the times that I said I was sober, well I'm afraid I lied/ I've been lying next to you, you next to me, all the while I was as high as a kite/ I can see it in your face as you break it to me gently, you really must think you're great/ Well lets see how you feel in a couple of weeks when I work my way through your mates"

Bronx - Shitty Future The first 3 songs on this album aboslutely kick one's arse. And this is one of them. Pity the rest album isn't straight up hardcore like their first.

Honourable mentions:

Basement Jaxx - Take me back to your house: Dig the music in this song. In particular the banjo which I think mixes really well with the electronic aspects of the song.

Gnarls Barkely - Crazy: I don't really like any other G. Barkley songs I've heard but the vocals and music on this grab my attention.

Butterfingers - Anthem: It was the best of the Butterfingers tracks available for voting on (although I love them all). But I voted for it last year, so... out with the old.

Against Me! - Unprotected Sex With Multiple Partners: Awesome hardcore song which has put this band into my to buy list as far as cds are concerned. And it critiques the complete fuckedness of the music indutry.

Hilltop Hoods - All songs available: Been digging the new album a lot.

Tom Waits - Lie To Me: I love Tom Waits' voice. So glad he is still kicking on and making great music. Whiskey and cigarettes...

MC LARS - Download This Song: Kind of my least favourite song off the album (though the only choice for voting). Catchy, and it incorporates Iggy Pop's, The Passenger, so mad props for that. Plus MC LARS is amazingly awesome. He was manning the merch. booth when I saw him with Butterfingers and he commented on my DKs shirt (he was wearing one too) and we chatted and he is super intelligent + loves punk rock. Top guy.

Matisyahu - King Without A Crown - The live version of this song is fucking tops. Reggae, Hip Hop and Jewish Orthodoxy all blended into one fantastic mix. The breakdown near the end sounds so good I spend the whole song anticipating it.

Angus & Julia Stone - Private Lawns: I absolutely adore these two. Amazing vocals - so whispy and whimsical, and the lyrics and just beautiful. Like listening to a Monet.
Beck - Nausea: Such a funky track, I've always loved you Beck. I can't not vote for you in the Hottest 100!
Ben Folds - Such Great Heights (Like A Version): I've absolutely loved this since I first heard it. I could hardly believe he was covering one of my favourite songs - and the fact that he samples My Sherona at the end topped it off. ;)
Ben Kweller - Sundress: A perfect Summer song. It's just such a cute, young song you would sing about your crush down the road when you're 12 years old. Brings me back.
Boca 45 - Down To Mexico: This is the perfect quintessential road-trip song. Groovy and funky and so fun. I feel like sticking my head out of a moving car like a dog when I hear this.
Faithless - Bombs: Faithless, you've come back with a vengeance. Again. Art.
Gotye - Hearts A Mess: This man is incredible - I love everything he's done. This is complicated, tragic and deep in all ways. I can almost feel myself sink into a red velvet coach as I listen.
Jose Gonzalez - Teardrop: Another amazing artist I want to listen to all day, every day. Such a childlike simplicity yet such a deep resonating vibe to it.
Killers - Bones: Another band I feel obliged to vote for, and am pleased to as this album is fantastic. This is my favourite track from the whole album. Love his voice.
My Chemical Romance - Mama: One of my guilty pleasures of 06'. I listen to this whole album on repeat, but this is a favourite. Especially love the additional vocals at the end. I also love that it's based on Saving Private Ryan and WWII. Awesome.

jet; put your money where your mouth is

proving they are not a one album wonder. a well crafted song. yeah, its all been done before, but its all good... know what i mean ?

Jet are the most mediocre band since guitars became electric. BORING!

And lose the scarves you pretentious twats...

TISM: "What we're doing here is basically what Jet are doing, which is taking The Beatles ideas and changing them a little bit at the end. If it's worked for Jet, it's going to work for us, that's what we're hoping."

Last edited:
Augie March - One Crowded Hour

I don't care how emo this band may be. I have loved almost every one of their songs, this one in particular. I have put it on almost every playlist that i have and for that reason it gets on my list.

Cornelius - Beep It

This guy is the coolest, coolest dj. I know he is not that new, but i only discovered his stuff late this year and am impressed to say the least. A very cool song.

CSS - Let's Make Love & Listen To Death From Above

Some people call it cheerleader rock, some people call them completely untalented. However, for a band that came together when only the bassist knew how to play an instrument? I think they are doing pretty well. It's not as if they pretend to be serious musos, and i think i like them all the more for that. Plus, any band that takes a swipe at Beyonce gets bonus points :D

Hot Chip - Over And Over

The top 3 of this list would be between this song and the other two rapture songs. I wish JJJ had of put on Tchiparian because i think that is a much better track. Still though, very cool. I cannot wait to see them at BDO.

Rapture - Get Myself Into It
Rapture - Pieces Of The People We Love

I am putting these two together, possible because they are my favourite band at the moment. I have heard scenesters bitch about how much better their old stuff was, but frankly, the whole album is fantastic.

Tapes 'N Tapes - Cowbell

TV On The Radio - Wolf Like Me

My favourite band of 2006. So cool. I think they could have put on a few better tracks of the album, but out of all them this would have to be my favourite.

Sarah Blasko - Amazing Things

I cannot believe i used to find this woman's voice irritating. Seriously, she is fucking brilliant. Flame Trees is still one of my favourite songs and this song is pretty cool as well.

Something For Kate - Cigarettes And Suitcases

I am not usually such a big fan of S4K, but this song is amazing. I was really impressed with it

Last edited:
I completely love how some bands have entire albums on the list there.
Magnificent!
I voted for 2 Atmosphere tracks and 2 Muse tracks.
there was nothing else I'd listen to on that list.

Basement Jaxx - Take me back to your house:

This song is strangely addictive, i dont want to listen to it any more, but i have to :(

I can't remember... dammit.

I think I voted for
Augie March - One Crowded Hour
Some of my favourite lyrics of all time. Seriously, I wish I'd written them.

Ben Kweller - Sundress

Such a stupidly cute song that makes me think, 'Oh I wish someone would say that about me.' while knowing that if someone actually did I'd be like, 'Man up. You're very unsexy right now.'

Black Keys - Your Touch

I love the Black Keys and this was the only song I could vote for this year.

Camera Obscura - Lloyd, I'm Ready To Be Heartbroken
Probably my favourite band of 2006. It's a girl thing. This wasn't my favourite off the album but, once again, the only one I could vote for.

Clap Your Hands Say Yeah - Satan Said Dance
C'mon. Every hipster wannabe loves CYHSY.

Hot Chip - Over And Over
Hot Chip are just awesome. This song is so catchy. <insert lame joke about repeat listening>

Jose Gonzalez - Hand On Your Heart
Kylie Minogue cover? Yes please.

Midnight Juggernauts - Shadows
Every time I hear this song I want to dance. Or head bop. Or something.

Tapes 'N Tapes - Cowbell
TnT are just effortlessly cool. I love his voice and I'm yet to get sick of this song.

Peter Bjorn & John - Young Folks
Oh PB&J. I love you. I can't wait to see you. Look for me. I'll be the one flashing my boobs.

There are many more which could have probably gone in there but I have a short attention span and got bored.

edit: OK, now I have time to explain-o.

Last edited:
lostpunk5545 said:
Jet are the most mediocre band since guitars became electric. BORING!

And lose the scarves you pretentious twats...

TISM: "What we're doing here is basically what Jet are doing, which is taking The Beatles ideas and changing them a little bit at the end. If it's worked for Jet, it's going to work for us, that's what we're hoping."

its hard not to wear your influences on your sleeve (or neck) is it. anything well crafted is good. i guess thats why you like tism. 8) it more than worked for oasis, didnt it. even the late great kurt cobain said "we were doing nothing but basically ripping off the pixies..."

as for pretention, it doesnt get any better (or worse) than being arty university students, wearing paper coveralls and ski masks, does it ?:\ :D

my fave tism song, by the by, is "what are ya, your a wanker"

a severe case of jealousy on the part of those guys i would say.

they should be saying " what we are basically doing here is what the bloodhound gang are doing, except we arent being picked up by a major label, because we arent talented enough to make it commercially viable...";)

I'm going to have to go spend some time looking through the options for this, but anything by The Mountain Goats or the Hilltop Hoods will be high on my list. Saw both of these fantastic acts again (well for the first time for the Mountain Goats) at the Falls Fest at New Years... absolutely amazing. Can't rave enough about them :)

CB :)

hired gun said:
its hard not to wear your influences on your sleeve (or neck) is it. anything well crafted is good. i guess thats why you like tism. 8) it more than worked for oasis, didnt it. even the late great kurt cobain said "we were doing nothing but basically ripping off the pixies..."

as for pretention, it doesnt get any better (or worse) than being arty university students, wearing paper coveralls and ski masks, does it ?:\ :D

my fave tism song, by the by, is "what are ya, your a wanker"

a severe case of jealousy on the part of those guys i would say.

they should be saying " what we are basically doing here is what the bloodhound gang are doing, except we arent being picked up by a major label, because we arent talented enough to make it commercially viable...";)

Haha come on. You're comparing Bloodhound Gang and TISM?

TISM Jealous of Jet?

Think first then speak :)

Can't remember exactly what i voted for, but it included...

Gotye - Hearts a Mess + Learnalilgivinalovin
Muse - Map of the Problematique + another of their tracks
E.E.S - Rhythm & Rhyme (i know these guys, so i thought i'd vote for em!)
Hot Chip - Boy From School

And some others....can't remember just now....lookin forward to Oz Day tho :)

My top ten

muse - assasin
vines - fuck yeh
gnarles berkley - smiley faces
tool - rosetta stoned
arctic monkeys - Leave Before The Lights..
young knifes - She's Attracted To
Sparta - 'Taking Back Control'
wolf and cub - vessels
strokes - heart in a cage
snowman
placebo - meds

lostpunk5545 said:
Haha come on. You're comparing Bloodhound Gang and TISM?

TISM Jealous of Jet?

Think first then speak :)

no, im not comparing them. there is no comparison...;) tism are nothing but a "novelty" band. ho hum. they should have been named "you cant be fuckn serious, mate..."

"i should have glassed the pilot. any way, you see this card, i can by the whole fucking airline with it"."but i tell ya kids, id rather walk..." liam gallagher.

he earned that ripping off other peoples music. know what id rather be doing...:\

and just how much music is either influenced or sounds like the beatles these days ?

Defend it however you want.

The fact still remains. Jet makes mediocre music at their very peak.

TISM are probably amongst the smartest people to release music in Aus. + they always have a new joke up their sleeves. TISM makes original music. Nobody sounds quite like TISM. Jet sound like every mediocre rock band since The Beatles.

+1 for Jet blows :D

Metric- Monster Hospital Definately song of the year. Love the original and the MSTRKRFT remix JJJ have been flogging to death :D

Hilltop Hoods - The Hard Road

Nas - Hip Hop is Dead

Wolfmother - Woman (MSTRKRFT edit)

Lupe Fiasco - Kick Push

I was always thought it ironic and amusing that Jet would include lyrics like this in one of their songs.

"I wanna move but I don't feel right
Cause you've been playing other peoples songs all night
"So tell what you're trying to say
What's your name?

Whos been playing whos songs all night ?Cheeky bastards..lol

lostpunk5545 said:
Defend it however you want.

The fact still remains. Jet makes mediocre music at their very peak.

TISM are probably amongst the smartest people to release music in Aus. + they always have a new joke up their sleeves. TISM makes original music. Nobody sounds quite like TISM. Jet sound like every mediocre rock band since The Beatles.

rah, rah, rah... they are still novelty. if you new anything about songwriting, you might realise that there is some quality there...

as for aussie bands absolutely no one can beat the oils for lyrical content, melody, structure and live performance. if you ever went to one of there legendary gigs at bondi surf club, tism would look like a day out at a catholic church fete. for fucks sake...8)

check out live on goat island 1985. ;)

Seeing as I own every Midnight Oil album, the afforementioned concert on DVD and have seen them live I'll agree. But I never said TISM were the smartest guys, just some of them.

And TISM's lyrics go a lot deeper than you seem to have the ability to appreciate.

If you think TISM are just a novelty act you're wrong. Dead wrong.

And regardless Jet still suck.

So there you go, I'm not derailing this thread any further I'll just rest assured in the knowledge that I'm right. Dead right.

Jjjjj-jjjjjj-jjjj.......j!

Triple JJJ
(That's,
like,
nine J's,
isn't it)
plays
Nas?

I don't listen to JJJ as it is not my jug of wine,
but yay(!) for
Moe votin'
for Atmosphere.