• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Ethnobotanicals Jatamansi (Nardostachys jatamansi) - Any experiences?

bingey

Bluelight Crew
Don't know if this is the right thread but anyone have any experience with Jatamansi?

Never heard of it. Valerian family. What is it supposed to do? I imagine relaxing effects? Or something brain-enhancing?

Supposedly both it's a gaba a agonist and shows antidepressant effects

I moved these posts into its own thread, as it isn't really a nootropic, and will get more focus. Its not really a psychedelic but we tend to talk about ethnobotanicals in here too, and you're likely to get better replies than in OD.

interesting, its not everyday...well even every month or year new drug thats not some shitty rc stim pops up on my screen and even better its plant and if potent would be hitting the right spots i like and need,

gotta give it some "googling"...something abt duckduck go i dont like but i need to get over with, havent tried if google is hiding plant stuff too but atleast forums that could have info

aaand im of the rails.... ciao

The effect of acute and subchronic administration of an alcoholic extract of the roots of Nardostachys jatamansi on norepinephrine (NE), dopamine (DA), serotonin (5-HT), 5-hydroxyindoleacetic acid (5-HIAA), gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA), and taurine were studied in male albino Wistar rats. The acute oral administration of the extract did not change the level of NE and DA but resulted in a significant increase in the level of 5-HT and 5-HIAA. A significant increase in the level of GABA and taurine was observed in the drug-treated groups when compared to the controls. A 15-day treatment resulted in a significant increase in the levels of NE, DA, 5-HT, 5-HIAA, and GABA. These data indicate that the alcoholic extract of the roots of N. jatamansi causes an overall increase in the levels of central monoamines and inhibitory amino acids.

I always get excited at a new plant/drug name. Man, 200 years from now I can only imagine the goodies that are right around us.

interesting, its not everyday...well even every month or year new drug thats not some shitty rc stim pops up on my screen and even better its plant and if potent would be hitting the right spots i like and need,

gotta give it some "googling"...something abt duckduck go i dont like but i need to get over with, havent tried if google is hiding plant stuff too but atleast forums that could have info

aaand im of the rails.... ciao
I thought that reading about the MOA of polygala teniufolia and was like "this will be the perfect drug"! And it was horrible effect. Showed me I dont know shit about the brain

I always get excited at a new plant/drug name. Man, 200 years from now I can only imagine the goodies that are right around us.
i dont wanna be joykiller, but reading abt rainforests being burned size of rio janeiro/month and more in 200 years we have lost all plants thats been never studied or even seen by humans other than some shamans 400 years ago =///

Does eating this get a person high? I can buy this in some places here I think.

i dont wanna be joykiller, but reading abt rainforests being burned size of rio janeiro/month and more in 200 years we have lost all plants thats been never studied or even seen by humans other than some shamans 400 years ago =///
^Yeah that is sad Lit. I can only hope Nature knows how to replenish herself. But humans are the real deadly virus on this planet aren't they?

I have kept up on the Rainforest situation since it was a big deal at Dead concerts years ago and tried to make people aware of what really was going on. Before the internet they had mailing lists to keep informed by signing up. And if were not for that I would never kave known. Around the time Merl Saunders put out Blues For The Rainforest I was gathering any info I could on Rainforst destruction. Before that I knew nothing.

We should have a thread of Rainforst and entheogenic plants. But yeah the destruction is so upsetting, Sometimes I wish the Earth would shake us off before humans destroy it.

Perhaps you can conduct an experiment for us? Are you located in the orient?
It looks like this is called Valerian root, is said to have only a bit of calming effect. Will buy it sometime and inform.

No its family of valerian root it's actually called nardus root

Valerian root is a good sleep aid but doesn't really work for anxiety or getting high purposes

No its family of valerian root it's actually called nardus root

Valerian root is a good sleep aid but doesn't really work for anxiety or getting high purposes
I reply to this "old" thread cause it seems that I'm one of the few that have tried jatamansi...
I became very interested some time ago and ordered, it's what it was shed over Christ toes and head during his last moments on Earth..!
spikenard is the common name, or Himalayan valerian.
It's smell is very special, I do like it a lot, it's very earthy, very pungent and fragant, penetrating and deep.
For the taste to be better is MUCH better to take hot, once it's warm or cold it tastes much worse, not sure why but tastes more like dust. I didn't feel that it mixes particularly well with anything, maybe some citrus (orange) or clove... perhaps cardamom would help also. It's not very intense as a flavor but it's an acquired taste, that's for sure.

The effects are very antidepressant-like. The uplift is almost inmediate, very gentle. It's dreamy, a bit sedating and a bit euphoric, I think it would be perfect for meditative practices.
Light serotonin increase is noticeable, perhaps dopamine too, I cannot notice any adrenergic or noradrenergic push.
There's that interesting Nerve Growth Factor enhancement that supposedly could be good for the brain, I do notice better clarity of thought and total lift of brain fog, if having any.

I noticed that I sleep better if I use jatamansi, but it's not very sedating, (in my doses of around 2 teaspoons - 1 tablespoon), it just helps to sleep soundly.
It's a good herb, just a bit strange in it's effect, doesn't seem very versatile but it's good to have around. I like it much more than valerian.

It's really nice. I find it to be a better version of valerian. Less groggy. It's threatened by over harvesting and is frequently misrepresented, so there's that.

More experiences with jatamansi,
I always feel some kind of spacyness, that is very very nice, I would call it meditative, it's a perfect meditative herb, like low dose kanna but without the euphoria or odd body high, just more gabaergic.

The other day I mixed it with kratom and oroxylum indicum BARK and it was a very nice evening, I think that bark makes everything more bio-avaliable or potent, not sure what's going on with it since I'm not sure if oroxylin A it's in enough content in bark... but it works doing something, probably it's the baicalein?