• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Misc Jail in England, do you get you're prescribed benzos (and methadone)?

Tryptamite

Bluelighter
The question in thread title says it all. I'm a ROI citizen. If I got locked up in northern Ireland or UK mainland I know I get methadone but do I get my 15mg diazepam a day that I'm prescribed?

We don't get our prescribed benzos in Ireland we do get lyrica if it's prescribed.

Thanks.

Benzo withdrawal is dangerous. And it be argued to be cruel and unusual punishment if withheld from a prescription for a legitimate reason

Benzo withdrawal is dangerous. And it be argued to be cruel and unusual punishment if withheld from a prescription for a legitimate reason
It can be argued till you're blue in the face. It'll be a big no, until you present at A&E, and then even if you swing a doctor there, it'll be a rapid taper over 1-2 weeks, at best.

Have you got some contact details for this gentleman?

Seriously though. Has anyone been locked up with a benzo habit before? I need some advice.

I dont know how to stop the bigger boys taking my raw benzo powder if I have to repeatedly keep taking it out of my ass to dose.
Especially now with covid and the prisons being dry. I expect a years supply to be gone in a year or myself to acquire some Interesting facial scars.

Perhaps English prison would be better. Obviously freedom would be the ideal ticket but....

Seriously though. Has anyone been locked up with a benzo habit before? I need some advice.

I dont know how to stop the bigger boys taking my raw benzo powder if I have to repeatedly keep taking it out of my ass to dose.
Especially now with covid and the prisons being dry. I expect a years supply to be gone in a year or myself to acquire some Interesting facial scars.

Perhaps English prison would be better. Obviously freedom would be the ideal ticket but....
You’ll have your stash taken off you within a week. More and more prisons are getting internal scanners as well, so they can see if you’ve stashed anything up your brown eye.

I was once on a SMART recovery group ran by a recovered addict who had been in prison in the UK. He said addicts got 3 days triangulation taper (to get off everything) and they were thankful to get that by the sounds of it. It looks to be extremely unlikely yoiu'd get a BZ script inside, although if required for severe anxiety diagnosed by a shrink this may or may not be a different matter, I couldn't rightly say. Maybe try to taper down yourself as much as possible as soon as possible, while you can, just in case. Hopefully your fears will not be borne out. Often we can fear something that never will happen. If you then don't get sent down you will have reduced your Bz dose anyway, which is usually not a bad thing in the long run.

No Idea what the answer is but suely if in prison, they have a duty of care, in which if someone is physically dependant on benzos, they would get them to avoid the very dangerous withdrawal symtoms. Would be more humane to give the benzos and not the opiates I reckon, as bad as opiate WD is, it wont kill you... No idea what the NI/UK prison system is like (touch wood) other than the odd documentry, so can't comment. In NI, pregabalin is given out a lot instead of benzos, you might end up on that?

Present your medical needs clearly and explain you could have grand mal siezures without your medications, which will be on their hands.

Best of luck pal, sounds like your in the shit, hope things are on the up sooner than later mate!

Yes, in my experience.

I was lucky, I lied... I didn't have a full time habit, but as I tested positive for benzos when I went in I told them I did, they tapered me from Valium with a script, and also continued my Methadone script, and I started to reduce from that. I had to go TWO days without methadone though (not including the time in the police and court cells - I was arrested on a Saturday kept til court on Monday morning) til they got confirmation of my script via the drug service i'd been involved with on the out , it wasn't pretty! Only think that kept me going was the valium and librium.

My advice, don't bother taking owt in. It'll end in blood.

Last edited:
Aye im strong enough to accept I'm relatively weak and I don't for a minute think I'd hold onto ze drugs for any aubstancial time.

I'm down to like 3mg Xanax a day but even at that I'm being greedy and 2mgvwill do me.

I had a lyrica script not any more I'll try change gp surgery.

Might not get jailed but have a suspded sentence already if I gotta guilty I'll be doing 4 months out of 6 already, chances are I'd be Getting time on top as well as I carries up to 10 years.

It's a family dispute really and the main witness has a history on mental issues. And is also my father. Prick and idiot that he is, he's not a bad man just a weak man and he is being manipulated intentionally or unintentionally by a local garda.

I have a long term benzo script. 3 x 5mg diazepam a day.

I never got it here despite being quite ill. I managed to
Get a few days of librium by telling them I drank a ridiculous amount of vodka every day.
But they simply said we don't prescribe benzos here even if I've had proof of prescription.

Did u get benzos?

I think I just have to accept like it or not I'll get what I'm given!

I guess it could come down to whichever doctor or psychiatrist assesses you if you go in, and anyone else with any say in the matter, as to whether they are progressive and compassionate or more hard line, and the same goes for the governor.

I really don't know if there is any consistent nationwide policy or if could be much more down to factors of random luck.

I have a long term benzo script. 3 x 5mg diazepam a day.

I never got it here despite being quite ill. I managed to
Get a few days of librium by telling them I drank a ridiculous amount of vodka every day.
But they simply said we don't prescribe benzos here even if I've had proof of prescription.

Did u get benzos?

I think I just have to accept like it or not I'll get what I'm given!
I got GP help up north, brought in a print out of the ashton manual, which explains how dangerous a fast taper or cold tukey is with benzos. I was using rc benzos and explained those to. I got put on a diaz taper no problem so it depends on the Dr I guess..

if your dependant on benzos its their duty of care to support you, especially if its a case of wanting to get off but needing help.

I'd imagine that medication is given to prisoners while under supervision of a nurse.
But medical care in prison is shit so get a script before you go to prison so you dont end up dieing.
The question in thread title says it all. I'm a ROI citizen. If I got locked up in northern Ireland or UK mainland I know I get methadone but do I get my 15mg diazepam a day that I'm prescribed?

We don't get our prescribed benzos in Ireland we do get lyrica if it's prescribed.

Thanks.

Be of mind, any taper will be what’s printed in the BNF essentially. And even that may be cut down to prison formulary.

Your best option is to not go to prison.

In Northern Ireland you will get your prescribed prescription, meaning if you’re getting diazepam on the outside you will inside. It will be reviewed though obviously and very likely you’ll be reduced or tapered off.

In ROI no chance, it’ll be a taper and even then it’ll be a rapid taper. I have worked with a few prisons in the south and I’ve never witnessed seeing a prisoner left to CT off of a benzo. That’s only recently though (in the last 2 years) and they don’t wanna look bad in front of me, so, I would suspect it’s not the true story.

Thanks.
They give you 4 2mg diazepam twice a day if you tell them you are going through alcohol withdrawal, and you have to eat them in front of the dispenser.

I'd assume if you were prescribed 30mg per day prior to going to jail that they would honour it.

Thanks.
Not sure about the UK, but no doctor in no Irish prison will give you benzos. You've got to buy them from other guests, Mirtazapine is what they'll give you. No benzos of any kind... That said, most jails are full of 'blues',usually pressed etizolaam but they'll put you on yer back so understandably they are fairly popular. Zimmos are also ubiquitous within the system.