• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc IV drugs/rinses/cotton shots

RedHandedDenial

Bluelighter
I have googled and googled all different types of combinations and have yet to find any table published on the rinse effectiveness of each drug u can IV. Like oxycodone, dillie, heroin, buprenorphine? Is there even a point in rinsing bupe? Yes as u guessed i am mostly concerned with bupe but would be very excited to find information on all drugs! Thanks in advance and if its already here im sorry!

my experience is most of the iv'd opiates water solubility is so high that letting them soak in water for 5-10 minutes gets 95% of the opiates into the water. Personally I've never felt a rinse unless I saved up leftovers from 5-10 sessions. I have friends who swear by it, using a rinse after one shot, though I tend to think its probably more placebo. Personally I don't mess with it. Sorry I couldn't find any literature on the subject though I'm sure there's some out there, figured a personal anecdote might interest you though

doing cotton shots etc is not hygenic at all because the moist high surface area environment is a perfect habitat for bacteria to grow... and like others said most of the drug (>95%) is injected and the amount left on filters etc is minimal in essentially every case

I really dont think think that is true for heroin and dillies, in fact im pretty sure i read somewhere once that dillies only get about 80% off of the first shot. Which would make sense since i said i can feel a lil rush off of 5 cottons. But thx for ur answers

And ive done cottons shots a lot and never got cotton fever... as long as u set them somewhere they can air out real good bacteria wont grow

"set them somewhere they can air out real good bacteria wont grow"

Not to be a jerk, but that is 100% incorrect. Many common, harmful bacteria grow excellently in a modestly warm, oxygen rich environment with water, a little sugar and a little protein for growth. Some molds need even less to start growing, and many microbes will begin to grow in the first hours after use - but you won't see it with the naked eye. All of the necessary ingredients for microbial growth are present in cottons from pill shots, and very likely dope cottons too. And it doesn't take a petri dish worth of cultured bacteria to harm you, just a little goes a long way. The cleanest looking used cotton could be the last cotton you ever use.

Short of putting used cottons through an autoclave I don't see how anyone can say there won't be bacteria on a used cotton.

My training in HR practices, my current work at a syringe access center and personal experiences inform me that there's no safe way to prepare cotton rinses for injection.

If your dilaudid shots aren't fully in solution use more water and definitely filter with a "wheel" syringe mounted luer-lock micron filter, anything left behind is trapped inside the wheel and you discard it immediately and permanently. No temptation if it's not there.

Please - don't shoot cotton extracts. If you must do so to try to get well, do it knowing that you likely won't get well and could seriously harm yourself. For more info and no bullshit - get the HR manual "Getting Off Right" and read it cover to cover b/f your next injection!

Lol but it HAS made me well before when i was in WDs... jeeze. I can see theres no point in arguing this one ill just walk away with the information i know to be true

Wow youre dopesick and the minute amount of drug recovered got you well. What a surprise.

So youre wrong when it comes to our harm reduction stance. Instead of flogging off the help maybe take it on board before youre victim of a dirty hit.

Sorry - can somebody enlighten me? Not an IV user, but curious.

What is rinsing/cotton shots?

We have the tendency to save the cotton which filters the shot, with a minute amount of drug, for when theres no dope tje cottons get thrown in the spoon for a rinse.

Problem is, you can almost bet theyve not been stored in a sterile way, running the risk of a dirty hit from bacterial growth because these people certainly arent using a micron when in this dire position.

The smarter thing is to rinse the cotton straight away and add to the shot. Or just leave a tiny bit of dope in each bag anticipating no dope and needing a hit to stace away wds.

Aaaah I get you. Thanks - appreciate that.

Well it doesn't take a scientist to work out that 'leaving them out to air' is akin to 'leaving them out to allow bacteria to develop and rapidly multiply'. I don't think you need to know anything about 'cotton shots' (as I evidently don't) to know that, that's an awful idea...!

The 'Risk v Reward' payoff seems evidently poor in doing that!

bacteria grows on used cottons like wildfire spreads in a dry forest.

i know people do it, but it really isnt healthy. a good way to get your self seriously ill. MRSA is not a fun disease.

I always save my cottons as I buy for the week so by the end of it I get like 30. The way I see it is not all of the dope is pulled out so even if it has .01 units in them 30 cottons means they have 0.3 units locked in them in total my normal shots are 0.3 units so they can be equally as potent as a full shot in my practice.

It is not safe and I don't recommend it but its a 3rd way I save. First is bags, then I don't empty completely. Those can have anywhere from 1/10 to 1/5 of a bag in there and 50 of those makes a good save then the cottons after that. I allow them to dry in a cool area and do my best to make sure they dry quick hopefully minimizing the contam.

I would avoid it if possible.

While it it true that cotton shots or "wash ups","rinses"etc...are not the most hygenic practice in the world,I'm sure that many would agree that shooting any drugs carries a multitude of dangers,especially shooting Dilaudid or other pills can lead to abscess if you miss.And street preperations of heroin are usually packaged under less than sanitary conditions in the first place,not to mention being cut with who knows what.The truth is,no matter how much people don't want to admit it,is that once you start shooting drugs you aren't exactly placing a whole lot of value on your health.I've had cotton shots save my ass more times than I can count.I have had the so called"cotton fever"many times,always from a wash up,but personally found it preferable to being dope sick.In the interest of harm reduction I cannot,in good conscience,reccomend this practice but I had a method that kept me well enough to get through work untill I could score later.What I did was not only leave the cotton damp but would leave a vey small pool of dope in the cooker.My normal shot was 3 and if I put 40 units of water on a 3 cap/bag shot I would draw up maybe 38 units as my shot.Those 2 or 3 units wouldn't make a noticable difference in my shot but once I had saved up 5-10 of them along with 3 or 4 dirty,crusty cookers it would often be better than 1 cap or bag.What I would do is draw up 40 units of water and squirt it into a well used, residue caked cooker and use the rubber stopper from an old set of rigs to clean the residue,mixing it in the water untill completely dissolved and draw it through a small,clean cotton,repeating for each cooker,then take each cotton,placing them one by one into a cooker,squirt the residue infused water onto it,use the old stopper to mash the dry,crusty cotton really good unill I was satisfied I had gotten all the dope residue into the water and draw up.Repeat for each cotton(using the same water of course)untill all have been rinsed.Then,to reduce the risk of a tiny piece of cotton or cut getting into the shot,I would squirt the dope laden water into a clean cooker and refilter with a small,clean cotton and suck it dry.If you can save a head off each cap or tiny bit in the bottom of each bag you use prior to doing your wash up and add those to the rinse it makes it even better.Like I said,I'm not saying anyone else should do this,but when I used to shoot heroin,Dilaudid etc...this very effective method saved me from being sick many times and these washes can get you surprisingly high,especially if you leave a few units from a big shot,even more so if you have the will power to save a little bit from each bag,cap,whatever.I always tried to wait untill I had at least 5 or 6 but a week's worth of cottons and cookers is even better.That's why I usually had 3 or 4 spoons/cookers going at once.I realise this isn't the most sanitary practice in the world but the truth is,any hardcore addict whose ever been desperately ill would probably take the risk and the dope its self probably wasn't cut and prepared under the most sanitary of conditions anyway.In a way,this could be considered a form of harm reduction itsself.I realise that could be seen as stretching it a bit but if it gets you well enough to not go out and steal or do something even stupider then it's a form of harm reduction in my eyes,in that it can at least get your legs under you enough to figure something else out instead of doing something that could land you in jail dope sick or end up desperately trying to shoot or take something even riskier in an effort to not be sick.Just a thought and my 2 cents.Again,in the HR spirit here at BL,I feel my posting of this method comes with the responsibility of reminding those contemplating it of the danger of blood poisoning due to bacterial infection.The re-filtering of the finished product helps reduce the risk of cotton fever.If you choose to iv drugs(not reccomended)then be as safe with it as possible.That includes not shoplifting or commiting additional crimes out of desperation.

I know everyone else has already posted this but I wouldn't recommend re-washing cottons, pans or spoons.
But as a fellow junkie I know the temptation is irresistible. I am extremely cautious when I IV and use all sterile and new equipment but once withdrawal hits I tend to throw my cleanliness out the window. If you did it right the first time there should be little opiate left. Plus the bacteria that's going to grow in there can be harmful, and you're subjecting yourself to more binders and fillers to clog arteries and capillaries.

Don't do it, but if you do, know the risks.

I guess it might be a better idea to do it immediately and save it in the syringe with bacteriostatic water

I would think leaving anything in a syringe would cause bacterial growth. Barring, I am not sure what bacteriostatic water is.