• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Itch like a bitch

AsiJO96

Greenlighter
Hello. Sorry if its stupid question but i have crazy itch all over my body from pain medication. I need to know if it is safe to take promethazine with desloratadine, because promethazine alone doesnt work for my itch at all. Or should i obtain different antihistamine ? Not sure which one is strongest. My pain medication is hydromorphone. Thanks for advice.

I've never had prometh, but whatever works for you man, I'll leave this to someone with knowledge on the prometh.

Prometh is quite good but i cant take dose high enough to stop the itch because it is too sedating, in high enough dose it also somehow clean my head from thoughts.

Have you tried hydroxyzine? One thing I noticed is if I don't take the antihistamine well before an opiate dose, it doesn't work as well.

Hydroxyzine - Atarax is prescription only medicine and i didnt have opportunity to have it prescribed yet and i dont know anybody who has it. Promethazine - Prothazin is prescription only too, but my friend is prescribed huge amounts of it by his psychiatrist for sleep and as an adjunct to quetiapine so he always give me few pills or whole boxes of it when i need it. I have access to desloratadine, promethazine, cetirizine, fexofenadine, dimenhydrinate - basically diphenhydramine and moxastine teoclate - brand name Kinedryl - this one is pretty sedating once i took half a pill, took a bong hit and was unable to stand for an hour..but there is no information about moxastine on internet...i think it was developed in Czechoslovakia and its used for motion sickness since than ...it is very popular in Slovakia..but i rather bought aviomarin - dimenhydrinate because it makes me somehow calm and happy and also music sound better under influence of it..

It's been a long time since I've dabbled in opiates, so I'm naive. H gives me crazy itching. I can't take benadryl because I get this paradoxal effect of a racing heart. I'd like to have a little buzz in public without scratching my skin off.

you can try topical antihistamine, they work ok but u have to re-use them every now and than or you can use loratadine,desloratadine,cetirizine,levocetirizine or other nonpsychoactive antihistamine but be careful, cetirizine is still sedating antihistamine in doses of 20mg and higher and i have personal experience which stems from years of taking desloratadine for pollen allergy that even nonsedating antihistamines do something to your brain chemistry because when i take desloratadine every day it builds up in my body cause it has 27hours half life and after about week i tend to get sad or more depressed or more emotionally dull

Last edited:
Benadryl is fine as already said

The closer it is to morphine the bigger the itch vs the better the grade of #4 the less *if any) itch

Benadryl is fine as already said

The closer it is to morphine the bigger the itch vs the better the grade of #4 the less *if any) itch

That's not true, they both have extremely similar histamine reactions.

I always get the itch on a low-lets say normal without tollerance dose (20mg-30mg) oxycodone for some reason but on a high dose I don't get them at all.
Tried heroine once and no itch on that one either.

Oxy never gave me an itch at any dose, morphine on the other hand had me trying to claw my skin off.

Oxy never gave me an itch at any dose, morphine on the other hand had me trying to claw my skin off.

Yeah, morphine and codeine, and to a slightly lesser extent hydrocodone all would make me itch to an annoying level. Not so much with oxy or H.