• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Isopropyl Nitrite nightmare - Please Help

zyrol

Greenlighter
I used about half of a bottle over the course of about ten days, and suddenly one night couldn't breathe. Very scary. My GP thought I'd get over it in a few days, and most things I read in forums indicated that. I didn't. A week later went to ER, all tests and chest xray, blood, EKG, etc look normal, and the doc thought I'd get over it soon. I didn't. Went to pulmonolgist a few days ago, he checked out the xrays, did some elaborate breathing tests in the office, checked me out, said I should recover, but didn't say how long it would take. Assured me I didn't give myself asthma or COPD (my big fears), but thought there might be some scarring in the windpipe (bronchial tube?). It just doesn't seem to be getting better, and it's torture. I can sit around the house, but any exertion is difficult, out of breath, can't take a full breath a lot of the time. And when I do, it doesn't seem to deliver the amount of oxygen I'm used to. He gave me an Asmanex inhaler (with steroid) that I'm using, but not sure it's helping.

Question: Anyone else have this breathing problem with isopropyl nitrite poppers, and if so, how long did it last? Anybody take weeks to get over it? Anyone have permanent damage?

Thank you very much for any information.

I never had any breathing problems or any long term damage but I did not sniff for as long as you. You seriously need to be careful sniffing this substance. It can cause you no end of long term damage. There has been research into poppers causing serious vision problems, not to mention all of the rest. You will just have to wait it out and see if your breathing problems are permanent, no one can tell you whether they are or aren't. You'd do well to avoid this nasty shit in the future, very bad for you mate. Rest up and I hope you're breathing problems get better soon.

Stay safe x

Thanks for the post. Hoping others will write in. I'll NEVER do anything like this again, ever.

It sounds like you got plenty of expert medical advice. I think you will heal. Anxiety can do weird things to you sometimes. Take a benzo and see if you can breathe better.

It sounds like you got plenty of expert medical advice. I think you will heal. Anxiety can do weird things to you sometimes. Take a benzo and see if you can breathe better.
thank you..I wonder how long it will take. ? It's been 3 weeks today. And afraid to get hooked on xanax.

Isopropyl nitrite makes my lips turn blue and I get severe breathing difficulties. I've never had a problem once with isobutyl nitrite. It's perfect.

It's weird that the UK government banned isobutyl only for it to be replaced by this absolute shit they call isopropyl. Isopropyl lasts days in a bottle....isobutyl months.

It's a shame young people growing up in Europe have to experience isopropyl as poppers. Utter shit and dangerous.

Hi. All nitrites, when inhaled, can make your blood more alkaline, which causes a condition called methaemaglobininaemia (take out the first and last "a" if you are American). The oxidation state (ie ferrous or ferric but I can never remember which way around it is) of the iron in your blood changes and it becomes very poor at transporting oxygen. This will make you pant like a mother if you are very muscular or active. It also causes severe exhaustion, to the point of agony for me, and those lovely blue lips. When I ran out of my stock of isobutyl I had to reduce my use from almost daily to the rarest of rare sniffs as isopropyl seems to be the worst offender and is also so much weaker that people take much bigger sniffs and hold it in for longer. There is also some research that says that nitrites affect the surfactant (lubricant) in the lungs. If it has done both to you then I can only .advise to avoid this stuff like the plague or restrict yourself to max one or two sniffs if you are tempted, but not at all until you are healed. there is ne way that you can make yourself feel a bit better and that is to take maybe double the normal daily dose of vitamin C. this will acidify the blood, allowing it to carry more oxygen. this is very fast acing so you should improve within 10 to 30 minutes but don't expect to feel completely better as this stuff really is nasty stuff. All the best.

Last edited:
see my post below, vit C should help you too. preferably take it before you indulge. as for shelf life I spent thousands on isobutyl when it was banned and I only ran out this year and while some of it didn't smell wonderful (the poorly sealed ones) it was still effective. I am so gutted.

I've been wondering about some of these other nitrites compared to isobutyl nitrite. I have a bottle of cyclopentyl nitrite but I'm pretty wary of it.

sounds anxiety based, the effects of nitrites in the body should be rather short lived