• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc ISOBUTYL nitrite - bad reaction, any others???

zyrol

Greenlighter
I posted an earlier thread re Isopropyl Nitrite. I've just learned it was Isobutyl Nitrite I had.

After using it for about week (2/3 bottle), I suddenly couldn't breathe well. Couldn't take deep breaths. Terrifying. Got a little better the next couple days. Went to my doctor, no experience in this, gave me an inhaler that did no good.

One week later went to ER. They did chest xrays, all the blood work, looked for blood clot, EKG, etc. Everything looked ok to them, ER doc thought I'd get better on my own.

One week later, still not able to take deep breaths, and my life spinning out of control, went to a pulmonologist. He check the xrays, did some elaborate breathing tests in his office, declared he could see nothing wrong. Perhaps some scarring the bronchial tube, which he said would heal itself. Put a lot of my condition on anxiety. I had been taking very small amounts of Xanax since the nightmare began - .5-1 mg/day.

Today (exactly 3 weeks from onset) I just had a CT scan, all looks normal. But still can't breathe properly. I think it's gradually getting slightly better - but still often cannot take deep breaths. Going to another pulmonologist this week for another opinion.

Question: Anyone else have this kind of trouble after isobutyl nitrite, and how long did it last? Very worried about permanent damage to my respiratory system. I have no other symptoms. Will cardio-vascular excercise get my breathing back to normal? How long could this take? Anyone know of any medical experts dealing specifically with this drug or condition?

Hoping for some responses, thank you so much. :(

No need for more than one thread on the same topic it's annoying and unnecessary.

It might just be you over thinking the whole situation, it's not likely the damage is permanent. I know that I've convinced myself I've incurred permanent heart damage before when on relatively safe doses of stimulants. Unrelated but it was all in my head so to speak and its even worse if your a generally anxious person.

exposure to small/moderate amounts of alkyl nitrites is very unlikely to be permanently damaging, in fact inhalational alkyl nitrites are part of the antidote for cyanide overdoses (alongside methylene blue IV i believe), and they are also a treatment for angina pectoris (condition causing heart/chest pains)

the biological half life of nitrites is short and they are exhaled/excreted/destroyed fairly rapidly. to get to toxic levels i think you need to get exposed to hundreds of mL at once. the toxicity that results is called methemoglobinemia which results in your blood changing color to brown, your skin and body go blue-grey, and severe decreases in stmaina and level of conciousness among other things so it would be pretty damn obvious. also, if it is not immediately lethal to you, your body retains the ability to scrape by and will sort itself out by regenerating the hmoglobin.

to me, this sounds anxiety related, and not a manifestation of physical damage. if your SpO2 is fine (pulse oximetry, measuring oxygen in blood with a little clip on red LED thingy on your finger - some smart phones actually do this now) and chest Xray and CT scan are normal as well as repiratory function tests then it is highly diagnostic of a mental issue and not a physical one.

i would stop taking any more xanax (it could be causing rebound anxiety due ot its short action) and focus on doing breathing excercises, staying calm and practicing mindfulness. maybe repeat a mantra along the lines that you are breathing fine. visualize and feel and repeat to yourself that the good doctor measured your body is getting the oxygen it needs, and it should cease to be a problem before long.

don't take more medication and try to avoid spending more time worrying about it with doctors.

Last edited:
Thank you both for the responses. I'm sorry about the second thread, won't happen again. There is a ton of anxiety. Not sure anymore if the breathing problem is real (I'm certain it's still not 100 percent, or result of terrible anxiety. I've been taking .25 mg Xanax twice a day, and will cut it down to once, and then get off that. Thanks again for your help and good wishes.

Can anyone educate me on which nitrites can safely be used besides isobutyl,isopropyl or amyl? What other nitrites are safe? I have occasionally indulged in isobutyl & would like to try any other vasodilators.

Last edited: