• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Is trazodone similar to remeron?

deadendgame

Bluelighter
I'm switching from remeron to trazodone. I heard the upside of this is that trazodone doesn't give you nightmares that remeron does. I'm switching from 30 mg remeron to 100 mg trazodone. Is the dosage equivalent or is it not enough trazodone? I need one of these to sleep and I hate getting nightmares from remeron so I'm trying trazodone for a change

Both have similar mechanism of action. I give Trazadone to alot of my patients as a sleep aid and it is usually pretty effective. 100 mg is a good starting point if you were taking 30 mg of the Remeron. Do you have to take something every night to help you sleep or just as needed? Trazadone works well as needed and you won't build up a tolerance as fast. How long were you on Remeron? Let me know how it works for you.

Mirtazapine is an antihistamine and Trazodone is primarily a 5-HT2A/α1A/H1 antagonist. So Trazodon affects multiple hypnotic receptors.

However Trazodone has a dirty metabolite: meta-Chlorophenylpiperazine. This metabolite is actually an agonist at the 5-HT receptors 5-HT2A, 5-HT2B, 5-HT2C, 5-HT3 and 5-HT7. These actions account for side effects such as: hallucinations, cardiotoxicity, dysphoria, loss of apetite, nausea, headache and depression.

By the way the α2A receptor antagonism of Mirtazapine is probably the cause of your nightmares. You could also just take a lower dose of Mirtazapine so that the α2A receptor is not significantly affected. The H1 receptor is saturated at doses between 7.5mg and 15mg so there is no need to go over that for sleep, taking higher doses will only prolong the antihistamine effect and will increase your tolerance.

Yes Trazadone is very similar to remeron but remeron is known for causing lucid dreams and nightmares while Trazadone is not, so I wouldn't worry about nightmares with unless you have nightmares normally.

Just pure curiosity on my part: what are you prescribed these for?

Like the previous poster said watch out for the nasty metoblite (mcpp) it can cause some awful side effects.

By the way the α2A receptor antagonism of Mirtazapine is probably the cause of your nightmares. You could also just take a lower dose of Mirtazapine so that the α2A receptor is not significantly affected. The H1 receptor is saturated at doses between 7.5mg and 15mg so there is no need to go over that for sleep, taking higher doses will only prolong the antihistamine effect and will increase your tolerance.

I've found that upping my does of remeron to help my sleep once tolerance has accrued (which it seems to, fast, with mirtazapine)

They both are sero antagonists, mostly effective for melancholic depression, differance would be ,like comparing lsd to DPT or something