• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Is This Safe?

Mr31

Greenlighter
So I've been taking about 50mg of percocet (7.5/325) daily for the past week, w/o any CWE. I weigh around 135.
Based on these facts, how do you think my liver is doing? 8( And is this fairly safe to do for a week straight? It is a little over 2 grams of apap a day for 7 days.
Sounds a bit harsh for me. I plan on stopping after today for a while, like I always do.

Doc once prescribed tramacet for a biking injury I had. They were 37.5/325apap. When I told him I was concerned about the apap for liver toxicity, he said to not worry, that I could "tank up on them"(exact words) and be fine. Said the limit for apap consumption was 4 grams of apap per day. Still I always believed the less apap the safer you are.

I'm no doctor and everyone's liver is different it's impossible to say if 2 g's is safe or not. But here is what is not safe. Taking Oxy daily for anything over a week, that will eventually make you physically addicted and then good luck getting off.

Doc once prescribed tramacet for a biking injury I had. They were 37.5/325apap. When I told him I was concerned about the apap for liver toxicity, he said to not worry, that I could "tank up on them"(exact words) and be fine. Said the limit for apap consumption was 4 grams of apap per day. Still I always believed the less apap the safer you are.

I'm no doctor and everyone's liver is different it's impossible to say if 2 g's is safe or not. But here is what is not safe. Taking Oxy daily for anything over a week, that will eventually make you physically addicted and then good luck getting off.

Thank you for your quick reply. I'll keep what you said in mind, I don't plan on doing it cold turkey though.

I once was in a hospital and got 2g apap IV per day for a week straight and they told me it's not bad as long as you don't take it longer than 2-3weeks and don't have liver problems.
So one week shouldn't be that bad, but if you don't stop, do a CWE!
And btw the maximum dosage was lowered to 3000mg per day.

I don't understand why you don't do a CWE. It is a very simple and fast process and saves you these potential risks and the brainfuck :?
Just do a CWE^^

2,000mg is perfectly fine for a 24hr period, they say not to go over 4,000mg, now I'm not suggesting it, but I've personally gone up to 8,000..

- Hopeless Soul

Thank you for your quick reply. I'll keep what you said in mind, I don't plan on doing it cold turkey though.

?? I'm confused by the "I don't plan on doing it cold turkey" ....thought you said you have taken them for a week?

If so, stopping isn't "cold turkey ". It's what normal people who get a prescription for a few painkiller do every day. For instance, you have a toothache. Dentist prescribes 20 Vicodin. You take one 3x a day. You run out about a week later. You go on with life

My point is if you have taken them for a week, you stop. You're not going to withdraw. You don't need to "taper". Those are things that are necessary for long term users. Or users who have had physical dependencies in the past--as in that case one can get withdrawal from as little as 3 days of doing dope, for instance. Still-these are people whose brain chemistry was changed by long term usage.

Anyway-- Far as the liver thing--the "daily limit" of APAP people are supposed to take (on a consistent basis) is 3000 mg. Occasionally exceeding that won't really harm you--unless say you decided to take a bottle of Tylenol. Or if you have liver problems. But the range you are in for the limited time period you're in it is fine. Doing a CWE on such a small amount would lose more active ingredient than it's worth

But really--if you have never had an opiate dependency and you want to stop then just stop. You might be a bit irritable and have a runny nose/sneezes or an upset stomach. But most likely you won't feel a thing. You just haven't been on long enough for your brain to change chemically where a short term use would trigger withdrawals

First off, everyone's body is different in regards to how well there liver does with APAP consumption. From the amount youve described in your post...that amount for a week should be totally safe. I abused hydrocodone and oxycodone at levels of 150mg-200mg daily of the 10/325s for about 8yrs now and still havent had an harmful effects to my liver...im aware im at a huge risk, and like I said, everyone's different. I doubt you'll withdrawl after a week of that dose barely any at all...maybe some yawns/runny nose in the slightest....but to answer your main Q: I believe your liver should be unaffected by that duration of dose. *im not a doctor* just speaking from experience and general knowledge.
~John

is there any reason to believe that your liver might be compromised? Do you have hepatitis c, or were you/are you an alcoholic for a period of time? These are also factors to consider. If not, you likely be okay, though I agree with zerwas, why not just CWE?