• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Is this Dexadrine WD (& if so) how long will it last?

Mycophile

Bluelighter
Hey. So I'm prescribed Dexadrine at 10mgs twice daily (honestly I'd been prescribed higher doses (20mg twice daily) and wanted less so when I tell you I've been using more don't be surprised) and it's only been 9 months since I was 1st prescribed but started escalating my dosages and use in the past few months which I know isn't good.

Up until Friday I'd only taken a day off here and there each month for probably like the past 4 months or so (I'd say I'd take about a day off a week each month) and while the amount I take varies because I can tell my tolerance has gone up and 10mgs is no longer a really good dosage for me, I would say up until about 6 weeks ago I was using 12.5mgs twice daily, but then in the past month my dosages have usually been between 15--17.5mgs twice daily and a few times I've gone up to 20mgs or 22.5mgs at the highest only cause I wanted to not be on it too late at night and it only lasts 4 hours so I crossed over my dosing times.

Anyways, I started thinking I was using too much and so I have spring break this week and off from my job and today is my 3rd day in a row without taking it and I plan on maybe only using it one day this week when I have something to do so I'll probably go without like 8 or 9 days, but my sleep has been very poor the last few nights and it's very hard to wake up.

Then again, that is not unusual for me as I take Klonopin which effects my sleep and often have sleep problems, but I have the kind of difficulty waking up I used to have when in Kratom withdrawal where I need like 12 hours of sleep and can't easily get out of bed.

Then when I DO finally get up I am more or less ok after having some Ginseng which helps, and some food and coffee, but less energy than usual.

It's not very serious I don't think, and I know that Dexadrine/Adderall is not extremely addicting, but I was just wondering if my need to sleep more and feeling my sleep quality is worse and having less energy and a harder time waking up is some kind of Dexadrine withdrawl or after effects and if it is, how long do you think it will last?

Do you think I am going about it the right way to just take as many days off as I can this week when I don't have to work and then try to use less frequently when I go back to working?

Is that kind of usage (approximately 15mgs twice a day for a few months in a row) something that causes serious dependency with Dexadrine/Adderall?

Thanks

Could someone please respond?

I went 3 days in a row without Dexadrine but messed up today and took 17.5mgs.

Is that going to make it take a lot longer for me to feel normal again without it?

Like, it's weird cause my sleep the past few nights has been worse than when I was using it and it's been harder to wake up but could that just be cause my body was in need of better sleep? (it always seems to be though cause I use Klonopin and other drugs...)

I just want to know if anyone thinks this kind of Dexadrine use is very problematic or leaves withdrawal or after effects that are very long lasting and how long I would need to go without for my body to return to normal a bit.

Ok, maybe I need to make this question more subjective to other users and shorter so someone will answer at least how THEIR body responds to Adderall or Dexadrine.

For anyone here who uses Adderall or Dexadrine: 1) what are your doses? 2) how often do you take it? 3) if you take your Adderall/Dexadrine doses the majority of days for a few months and stop cold turkey do you personally you get WD or after effects? 4) if so, what happens and how long does it last for you?

Most people seem to say that Adderall and Dexadrine are not very addictive physically speaking and I think most would probably say doses between 15mg--17.5mg are not that much. Maybe my body will adjust if I go without longer I'm thinking...

It is extremely addictive if it's abused. Even just a few times and you can lose the willpower to not abuse it.

I don't really see the problem. If you're prescribed it in honesty to your doc, and your doc is on point, then you shouldn't feel bad taking your prescribed dose.

Believe it or not, issues with sleep can be a symptom of amphetamine withdrawal. We can't really, or at least I can't, tell how long that will last. That's a good question for the doc, huh?

It's a tricky balance trying to find the right meds and right doses of meds and right time to take meds.

30mg dexedrine is a likely higher dose than 30mg adderall. 30 per day of either, if you actually have ADHD/narcolepsy, sounds reasonable. But who am I, ya know? Your doctor will best state what you should take, and how often you should take it.

Problematic? Hmmm. So why do you take it? Again, for ADHD/narcolpsy, then great. Just don't expect it to be your antidepressant/anxiolytic/euphoriant/and otherwise perfect little friend. Because you will have to raise the dose until the negative side effects become much more likely, and the happiness fades. If you keep to a relatively low dose, you may keep some of the mood-raising effects, but don't bank on it. In all: if you use your prescribed dose for what it's for, and you don't abuse drugs otherwise, I would wager it to be fine to take.

But then again are we getting the whole picture? Is there anything more, something important, that you want to add?

It is extremely addictive if it's abused. Even just a few times and you can lose the willpower to not abuse it.

I don't really see the problem. If you're prescribed it in honesty to your doc, and your doc is on point, then you shouldn't feel bad taking your prescribed dose.

Believe it or not, issues with sleep can be a symptom of amphetamine withdrawal. We can't really, or at least I can't, tell how long that will last. That's a good question for the doc, huh?

It's a tricky balance trying to find the right meds and right doses of meds and right time to take meds.

30mg dexedrine is a likely higher dose than 30mg adderall. 30 per day of either, if you actually have ADHD/narcolepsy, sounds reasonable. But who am I, ya know? Your doctor will best state what you should take, and how often you should take it.

Problematic? Hmmm. So why do you take it? Again, for ADHD/narcolpsy, then great. Just don't expect it to be your antidepressant/anxiolytic/euphoriant/and otherwise perfect little friend. Because you will have to raise the dose until the negative side effects become much more likely, and the happiness fades. If you keep to a relatively low dose, you may keep some of the mood-raising effects, but don't bank on it. In all: if you use your prescribed dose for what it's for, and you don't abuse drugs otherwise, I would wager it to be fine to take.

But then again are we getting the whole picture? Is there anything more, something important, that you want to add?

Well, ok...my doctor is one of these doctors who prescribes most drugs for anyone if they ask and I was never initially diagnosed with ADHD, but rather, anxiety, depression, generalized anxiety disorder, OCD, etc, though for years SOME doctors have said they think I MIGHT also have ADD/ADHD.

I also take 1.5mgs of Klonopin daily and 40mgs of Lexapro.

Initially, a year ago, my reasons for asking my doctor for Adderall (at that time he put me on Adderall and not Dex) were not really honest or good reasons to want to be on it, (I don't feel I need to get into why really...) but they were NOT ORIGINALLY to want to get high off of it either.

At that time when I asked my psychiatrist for it he didn't even hesitate and said "sure, how's 20mgs sound?" And i didn't know how much that was at the time and STILL don't usually like that much...so again...despite my not being totally honest with my doc, he prescribed me THEN a year ago (when I had NO tolerance) more than I use now, so he must obviously think that is a safe dose.

I asked him "is it physically addictive?" and his answer, straight up was "no, not really". I asked "how often can I use it without withdrawal effects and he said "I mean they give kids this stuff. I know people who take it 6 days a week and never have any problems stopping so I wouldn't worry about it, it really isn't very physically addictive in terms of dependence and withdrawal."

Then again, I said "yeah, but it raises blood pressure, heart rate and body temperature right?" and he said "NOPE." which I think is NOT true and that it does.

So he put me on 20mgs and that was WAY WAY too much for me and I asked for Vyvanse instead but I didn't like that, then switched to 10mgs Dexadrine which I liked better.

I DO have a VERY addictive personality and have escalated my usage of Dexadrine and while I don't usually THINK I'm taking it to get high, I Am actually doing it PARTIALLY for that reason and because I often feel depressed and tired and it can make me feel better..cause the thing is, I also have this weird "fear of being tired" and since I'm often tired cause of my benzos I will take Dex so I'm not tired and while it works sometimes, obviously that's a bad idea.

My doctor is EXTREMELY unavailable and is sick with lymes disease and about to retire in a few months and I can't really talk to him about much and I wouldn't tell him my reasons for taking it originally were not 100% honest as I'd just get myself in trouble.

But MOST people on this forum tell me that if you use a dose as low as mine for a while that THE PHYSICAL WD SYMPTOMS ARE NOT THAT BAD.

Now I feel I've gotten WAY too into it and I'm not using it for good reasons and I want to get to the point where I don't use it very often, like maybe a couple days a week or not even weekly, and so since I had this week off I figured I'd just stop taking it, and I didn't for the past 3 days and couldn't sleep well, but I usually don't sleep well.

I gave in today, but I know I won't give in any other day this week except Thursday cause I have to work early.

After that when I go back to more serious work though, I don't know if I can keep myself from using it much, but I really don't want to.

I've gotten to the point where I believe (though I THINK it's a false belief?) that I can't get serious work done without it, or do much without it...but most people have said that that's not very likely.

So....I want to give the majority of it to my friend so I won't take it..but I'm afraid to....and my plan was to do that this week, but since I am not feeling great without it yet I feel it's too soon as I don't want to go back to work and feel I need it and not have it.

SO now...you have kind of scared me by saying it is that physically addictive.

I don't mean PSYCHOLOGICALLY....my question was do real serious PHYSICAL withdrawal symptoms happen with doses like mine and are the after effects I've experienced likely to go away in a relatively short while IF I can get myself to start using it less often??

Last edited:
I agree that dexamphetamine is not extremely addictive. However, it’s moderately addictive and most people that abuse it daily or most days will become dependent (although not necessarily physically).

I’m not big into meth/amphetamine but it does sound like stim withdrawal (based on my crack use).

Paradoxically disturbed sleep with vivid dreaming and not the feeling of being refreshed you’d like upon waking up.

Mornings are sluggish and I struggle to keep my eyes open when my methadone dose kicks in (it’s not a pleasant nod and does not happen unless I smoke a lot of rock the day before.

For most drugs, you will feel at least 80% better working 3-5 days with that last 20% taking another few days to few months depending on the substance and length of use.

Also, make it a few days and those cravings will substantially be reduced.

I agree that dexamphetamine is not extremely addictive. However, it’s moderately addictive and most people that abuse it daily or most days will become dependent (although not necessarily physically).

I’m not big into meth/amphetamine but it does sound like stim withdrawal (based on my crack use).

Paradoxically disturbed sleep with vivid dreaming and not the feeling of being refreshed you’d like upon waking up.

Mornings are sluggish and I struggle to keep my eyes open when my methadone dose kicks in (it’s not a pleasant nod and does not happen unless I smoke a lot of rock the day before.

For most drugs, you will feel at least 80% better working 3-5 days with that last 20% taking another few days to few months depending on the substance and length of use.

Also, make it a few days and those cravings will substantially be reduced.

Thank you.

After looking it up on a few sites most of them say "3-5 days, possibly up to 2 weeks but ocassionally symptoms lasting a few months"....I liked the 3-5 days idea, not very much the 2 weeks, and not at all the "few months" idea lol...

So, the fact that I took it today and know I'll need it Thursday, but didn't take it Friday--Sunday and won't be taking it tomorrow, wednesday, or Friday--Sunday.....if I can pull off going without those 8 out of 10 days before I have to go back to regular work....do you think I'll MOSTLY be over it?

Do you think the fact I took it today totally resets the WD as if I hadn't gone without Friday--Sunday? Or the fact I'll need it for work Thursday??

A few sites also said "in rare cases WD can lead to heart attacks and strokes"...but I mean...I'd assume that's not common for someone taking less than 20mgs twice a day right??

Do you think I need to ask my doctor to taper me? (I don't hear of Adderall/Dex tapers often being necessary...)

I just hope I can quickly get back to more normal sleep and be able to resist using it for work, cause I know if I sleep badly and have to work I'll think I need it, and then the vicious cycle continues...

Well call me a unicorn then but I don´ t agree. I have overused my DexAmphetamine at times when necessary. As well as onderused it by taking a few days of. My overusage would def categorise as abuse. But I am reasonable in my dosing never more then twice my usual just to have a more pronounced effect. Side effects raise more rapid as the good effects, I guess at 3 or 4 times the prescribed dose they would be annoying at best. So I am sensible in my dosing.

And I myself never experienced addiction like symptoms.

The OP complains of poor sleep while taking Clonazepam. Technically benzo's have a devestating effect on sleep. Clonazepam I believe to have some advantages in comparison to Benzo's in general. Although I can't find any proof so just as well be my fantasy. Been a long time I researched Bruxism and found some advantages vs other Benzodiazepinen on sleep stages. But if anything that could be a mayor contributor to you having poor sleep Mycophile.

Withdrawing from Dex is for me personally: Sluggishness with lethargy and some depression. An enormous appetite. Lack of drive, that probably sums it up. This fades in the following day's. But addiction and WD is an overstatement. Maybe when one goes in the trippling the dosages WD's occur but I have no exp with dosing higher the double on ocassion.

Btw I am continue's on THC. If I am not I will not take Dex or at reduced dosage's. Dex without THC is like a Elephant without Proboscis Imo. My prescribed dose of Dex is 15-10-10 mg.

Last edited:
One thing that just occured seemed important. It is related to what AlphaMethylEthyll wrote. In a way at least, be it barely.

But there are two reason's not to get too involved with Amphetamine's in general. AME's reply nailed one of em.
Some people are very susceptible for the addictiveness of stimulants. I was going from personal view in my reply. But I know if it's your thing it can go downhill just as fast with a prescription as on a gram of speed (slang).

The other is taking Dexamfetamine daily isn't really productive. Would I be prescribing this stuff to people I would talk to them about the different methods it can be used. But that the effectiveness will lessen if it is taken constantly. And that one can determin a pattern of usage that at least tries to prevent this. Occurence of tolerance. But it would also keep somekind of selfcontrol over ones live. I sure feel dependant on it after being on Methylphenidate and eventually Dex for a long time.

But I would not advertise daily dosing unless necessary.

Thank you.

After looking it up on a few sites most of them say "3-5 days, possibly up to 2 weeks but ocassionally symptoms lasting a few months"....I liked the 3-5 days idea, not very much the 2 weeks, and not at all the "few months" idea lol...

So, the fact that I took it today and know I'll need it Thursday, but didn't take it Friday--Sunday and won't be taking it tomorrow, wednesday, or Friday--Sunday.....if I can pull off going without those 8 out of 10 days before I have to go back to regular work....do you think I'll MOSTLY be over it?

Do you think the fact I took it today totally resets the WD as if I hadn't gone without Friday--Sunday? Or the fact I'll need it for work Thursday??

A few sites also said "in rare cases WD can lead to heart attacks and strokes"...but I mean...I'd assume that's not common for someone taking less than 20mgs twice a day right??

Do you think I need to ask my doctor to taper me? (I don't hear of Adderall/Dex tapers often being necessary...)

I just hope I can quickly get back to more normal sleep and be able to resist using it for work, cause I know if I sleep badly and have to work I'll think I need it, and then the vicious cycle continues...

In your particular case, based on my limited experience with meth, experience with adderall years ago, and the experiences I’ve read of others, after 36 hours, you will feel back to normal. If you are especially sensitive (and few people are) add another 24 hours.

I was making a generalization for all substances, amphetamine will be on the shorter end of the scale, especially with your low doses. Amphetamine is relatively benign, especially compared to cousin meth.

I took 30 mg adderall for a year back in high school and never remember anything I would call withdrawal.

That being said, drugs will always cause after effects with those after effects becoming increasingly severe and long lastIng as dose escalates and duration of use increases.

Withdrawal from any substance does not “reset.” All the time spent on a drug will make the withdrawal longer or more severe. All the time off of it will lessen the severity or duration.

I would not advise asking your doctor to taper you. While it may seem responsible, no self-respecting md will write you a new rx after that request. And it’s overkill.

And I would be about 0% worried about stroke or heart attack from coming off amphetamine. That’s a rare freak occurrence, not a potential effect.

Amphetamine is relatively benign, especially compared to cousin meth.

I took 30 mg adderall for a year back in high school and never remember anything I would call withdrawal.

I'm picking at things a bit. I think you had some good things to say. I just wanted to add this:

Amphetamine is a Schedule II substance for a reason, though. It's the same category as cocaine and morphine. If you take decent doses and never go above, that's one thing. But just a few slip-ups and it takes hold of you really fast and you plunge down in life quality.

I don't think it's meant to cause a withdrawal beyond lack of attention and sleepiness. So I'd say it was probably more decently than not given to you for good reason.

Myco, did you read my message to you. i used effexor. that does not mix with dexedrine. Thats whats with the side effects.

From my experience withdrawal from those doses would result in a maximum of 5 days of cravings, general sluggishness/day time somnolence, mild depression, sleep disturbances and perhaps increased appetite. Supplement with tyrosine, l-theanine, taurine and caffeine (as tolerated) and it shouldn't be too bad. I'd characterize it more as a rebound than a proper withdrawal syndrome.

Myco, did you read my message to you. i used effexor. that does not mix with dexedrine. Thats whats with the side effects.

Yes I did.

Do you read mine that I sent back to you?

I was confused because I take Lexapro and not Effexor and it seemed like you were telling me I was getting side effects from mixing Lexapro with Dexadrine but I'm not sure that's the case as my doctor said the two shouldn't really have a negative interaction (I know that SOMETIMES SSRIS can interact with amphetamines but my doctor seemed to think it wasn't a big deal.)

I didn't understand why you were bringing up Effexor and what that had to do with my questions about the length of Dexadrine WD.

From my experience withdrawal from those doses would result in a maximum of 5 days of cravings, general sluggishness/day time somnolence, mild depression, sleep disturbances and perhaps increased appetite. Supplement with tyrosine, l-theanine, taurine and caffeine (as tolerated) and it shouldn't be too bad. I'd characterize it more as a rebound than a proper withdrawal syndrome.

Thanks.

Yeah, although I did take Dex today cause I had to work, I won't for the next 3 before I go back to work on Monday, and I went a total of 5 days without so far since last Friday (Friday--Sun without, then I took it Mon, then went without Tues and Wed) and Tues and Wed I didn't feel too bad.

I think it's probably not gonna be such a big deal.