• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Is this an abcess or what?

WhiteChina666

Greenlighter
Been a long time lurker, I’m just not very social so never post. I was bored and IVing bupropion for a day, I missed a shot though, maybe a few others slightly not 100%. But I have these lumps that are painful when my heart beats, or I try to straighten my arm. I tried cutting one, and it drained like some thick blood, just a little. Now it seems to be improving. The others though seem to have improved very little in the past 4 days. I am never doing this again, my anxiety though is getting me spooked about how serious this could be. Anyone know what this is? I feel like maybe my vein collapsed and blood pooled around it? Here are some images: imgur.com/a/NmGL8Ra

Go get that checked out man. Generally rule of thumb is redhot and angry is a bad sign, that looks like it fits the bill.

-GC

Go get that checked out man. Generally rule of thumb is redhot and angry is a bad sign, that looks like it fits the bill.

-GC
Alright, I’ll give it a day or two then go if it still hurts. Just gonna suck cause I’ll be banned from narcotics most likely. I’d also like to throw in, the bigger one on my arm popped up after I fell asleep with a bracelet on. It went up on my wrist kinda tight and it’s like the blood couldn’t get through the vein and popped. Idk, I’ll just deal with the sideways looks though and go to a urgent care clinic soon. Especially if it worsens. I’ve been taking clindamycin just in case it’s an infection. Which is my only concern... MRSA is no joke, and I already know it lives on my skin. Just sucks... I’m done with needles, I’ve just been depressed because of a failed back surgery no doctor is willing to touch. So if a doctor wants to bitch about my drug use, then fix my back lol...or I’m just gonna keep doing what I’m doing. Just not IV now though bc this hurts :p.

Go sooner rather than later, the sooner you get that drained and get on antibiotics the better. Those all look like abcesses.
If I were a betting man I'd say you have MRSA because they obviously aren't going down on clindamycin. Thankfully a course of Bactim DS will whack the infection. (You will probably have to finish the whole course of clindamycin even if it does nothing now BTW. Antibiotics should be doctor-prescribed cause some work better for certain infections than others.)

That last one was not drained or sutured properly either. Don't try to drain abcesses, they can fill with multiple "pockets" of gunk that you may not be able to access, and I suspect you didn't exactly practice sterile technique while attempting to drain it.

The doctors probably won't restrict you from opioids as buproprion isn't a downer. They will call you an idiot behind your back, probably.

Last edited:
Just to update because I know people hate when threads get abandoned... The above poster is correct, it was simple abcesses. And a rock hard inflamed vein... But I used a sterile razor and lanced them the other day, arm looks way better and is no longer sore. Redness has faded... I kept everything very sterile like usual, I have hella antibiotics, I switched back to amoxicillin (I collect them) and sterile everything else you’d need. So think I’m in the clear.... However I urge anyone with a similar issue to go to the ER. I don’t care about myself and would rather go in half dying then deal with the awkwardness. FYI you can go in and tell the doctor nothing, remain silent.... Just a tip, but it is very awkward.

Please don't do a DIY drainage. Yes, sometimes you can get away with it, but you risk re-infection if you don't practice sterile procedure. At least when I got my abcess drained, they packed the cavity with iodoform gauze to kill any residual nasties.

Also, the rule of thumb I use is, as soon as you suspect an abcess go to get it treated ASAP even if it doesn't look that bad. Abcesses that do not get better in the first 6 hours will probably not get any better given longer time. They get worse. Don't wait for it to get super inflamed and swollen. If you get it early enough the drainage is easy, if you let it fester it gets more complex, painful, and you risk sepsis.

Last edited:
Lol I’m sorry but not sure you can tell folks to go to the ER after not going yourself..

Question to anyone reading.. How often does a normal person who doesn’t IV get an abscess? Is it just something that happens to IV users or is it fairly common for normal folks to get them too.

I guess I ask because I wonder how obvious an abscess is related to IV drug use.

-GC

Lol I’m sorry but not sure you can tell folks to go to the ER after not going yourself..

Question to anyone reading.. How often does a normal person who doesn’t IV get an abscess? Is it just something that happens to IV users or is it fairly common for normal folks to get them too.

I guess I ask because I wonder how obvious an abscess is related to IV drug use.

-GC
I have never IV and I have never had an abscess. I bet most people that come to doctor with them are IV drug users.

You may need a course of antibiotics to clear this up. Discharge/heat usually means infection. Be seen by a medical professional. Sepsis is the real danger, and you need to rule that out asap!