• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Is there any recreational value in Adrenaline (Epinephrine) ?

That's a very bad idea lol, epipens are meant to help restart a slowing heart. Your blood pressure would skyrocket, and that would be about it.

No mate. Recreationally I'd say it would just make you feel incredibly anxious and overstimulated. But I'd say there's also a risk of cardiovascular harm, particularly if combined with other drugs, since the effect on the heart and arteries and vasoconstriction could lead to a hypertensive crisis or thrombus (clot), which could cause a heart attack or stroke. Best not to risk that.

I'll leave this open for a bit to let others chime in, but it'll get closed before long as the only real HR advice we can give is to not do it ;)

What's the perceptive difference between epinephrine- and norepinephrine-intake ?

I guess he would not feel a rush anyways, even if is would be norepinephrine. No matter the dose. You also cease to feel much from 5-HTP or intake of dopamine-precursors.

Epinephrine is not fun, there's no recreational value or you'd probably see reports of people abusing it... epipens have been around for a long time. I've never heard of anyone calling the experience pleasant...

I had a big bolus once in hospital to bring me around from a suicide attempt. The effect was instantaneous and felt horrific to say the least. It launched me into the worst panic attack in my life :\

I had a big bolus once in hospital to bring me around from a suicide attempt. The effect was instantaneous and felt horrific to say the least. It launched me into the worst panic attack in my life :\

Yup, its very unpleasant. Actually there's been a recent double blind study done with all paramedics in the UK sorounding adrenaline. It's usually given with drugs like atropine as part of the "aysystole proticol" (cardiac arrest) as it csn restart the heart again. However, the question was does it maybe do more harm than good as the patient often suffers a catastrophic MI in the following few hours due to massive overstimulation of the heart. It was wondered if they would be better off being treated without the adrenaline..to see if this would improve overal survivability of cardiac arrest following a ROSC (Return Of Spontaneous Circulation) Paramedics were issued with normal adrenaline syringes with a batch number on them, half of which were normal adrenaline and half just saline and we had to note the batch when we used the drug as part of treating CA.

Not sure what the results are as of yet but the point I'm getting at is don't abuse adrenaline...it may well kill you.

edit...obviously that should have said atropine not atrophied....spell check on phone changes words it doesn't recognise....fixed now

Last edited:
The rumors among people with bee-sting or shellfish allergies is that you need a whole day to recover just from the epipen. Probably about as fun as using those defibrillator pads on yourself. Repeatedly, for hours.

Most emergency life-saving measures are reserved for emergency life-threatening situations, because a lot of life-saving measures are life-threatening if you aren't trained.

The rumors among people with bee-sting or shellfish allergies is that you need a whole day to recover just from the epipen. Probably about as fun as using those defibrillator pads on yourself. Repeatedly, for hours.

Most emergency life-saving measures are reserved for emergency life-threatening situations, because a lot of life-saving measures are life-threatening if you aren't trained.

that doesn't sound pleasant. Fortunatley I've never had to use one, but only the other day I ate a damn Marks & Spencer salad which caused my mouth to swell up

I read about a woman who used two epipens but still ended up permanently brain-damaged and paralysed for life

perhaps I'll forego the Adrenaline tea :\

On prom night my sister went out with a group to some Chinese-themed restaurant (they were freshmen) and started swelling up as soon as she got to the venue. The hives and burn were enough she never made it in (despite trying) and she was ambulanced off to the ER. She was fine, some likely shell-fish thing, despite a regular diet of bad Chinese food, and I got an image of her in the ER in a bad prom dress all night. She wasn't happy.

Even for that she didn't get epinephrine, just lots of antihistamines. She did carry a pen around and despite a few scares, never dared use it.

The only practical use for adrenaline that I know of, except for the aforementioned restarting of the heart, is topical application on cuts via qtips, to stop bleeding at least temporarily. Cutmen do this for fighters in between rounds, and the qtips can also be pushed up a broken/bleeding nose.
Not a recreational use, I know, but may still be useful info.