• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

is there a site which lists the alkaloid content of certain plants?

izo

Bluelighter
title says it all, i cant think of any. wiki is a good start but they often list only for example root bark content where im looking for whole plant alkaloid content...
im looking especially for the following plants:

-Eschscholzia californica
-Voacanga africana
-Erythroxylum Catuaba
-Areca catechu
-Peganum harmala
-Banisteriopsis caapi
-Heimia salicifolia
-Pausinystalia yohimbe
-Nymphaea caerulea
-Sceletium tortuosum
-Passiflora incarnata

thanks.

Erowid has the golden guide to hallucinogenic plants in their online library. Might not have them all but should list some of the major alkaloids.

L'atropine For passiflore and if nymphe is blue Lotus or lotus fam pbbly apomorphine and other morphinans m. Dont mix

there are probably studies on PubMed showing the % alkaloids of each of those

You can read it online, in English, here (it's not downloadable as a PDF but no reason to not be able to take screenshots of the relevant pages and/or download to a portable device using their app. to read offline):

Scribd really is an absolute WEALTH of information just by the way. And there's no catch when it comes to their 30-day free trial either by the way i.e. it is what it says on the tin I assure you (very refreshing in this day and age actually).

Look hard enough though and it's bound to be a free download in PDF format somewhere. Of that you can be sure.

I've always managed to satisfy my other, more specific, organic requirements using the following (not an exhaustive list by any means though but a good start) (especially JSTOR and who are making an effort to aid students, during these trying times, by providing free access to 100 articles per month):

Then there's this but not free (although some are made available through JSTOR above):

An example:

Not quite what you're looking for i.e. a single site as per the thread title. But nothing comes easy I'm afraid! :)

Also not saying that you're going to find exactly what you're looking for but worth a shot i.e. my scope and field of interest by far narrower than yours! ;)

Last edited:
wow, thanks.
It's my pleasure.

I found the below while browsing through recommendations that are periodically (latest received today oddly enough) sent out from Academia (one of the sites mentioned in my previous post). I've not read through it. But who knows: maybe of interest to you and/or others?

Hallucinogenic Plants A Golden Guide

Just a word about Academia though:

There's many papers published by grad. students etc. Point is: they're not authorities on the various topics in some cases. The papers have been uploaded for peer review etc. However. They will almost always cite references and sometimes you will find what you're looking for in the references as opposed to in the main paper.

Also nice to give the student a bit of punt when prompted to do so (after downloading their paper).

Here's one I included just for fun (heartwarming to see that somebody deems Cocaine one of the 100 most important chemical compounds! 🤣 ):

The 100 Most Important Chemical Compounds

Note that both of the above are published books and not papers.

But there's an absolute pile of papers and publications and books etc. on plant/organic alkaloids etc. (the site keeps prompting you with suggestions as you go along).

Also note I downloaded them and then uploaded them to a temporary site hence the links not going to Academia (so no need to panic i.e. those that have not signed up on Academia would not have access to them so I'd be wasting my time and their's by simply providing a direct link to Academia).

i found what i was looking for in the encyclopedia of psychoactive plants, really detailed about plant ingredients...

the Hallucinogenic Plants A Golden Guide can be also found in the erowid library, but no details on percentage of ingredients of the mentioned plants.

It's my pleasure.

I found the below while browsing through recommendations that are periodically (latest received today oddly enough) sent out from Academia (one of the sites mentioned in my previous post). I've not read through it. But who knows: maybe of interest to you and/or others?

Hallucinogenic Plants A Golden Guide

Just a word about Academia though:

There's many papers published by grad. students etc. Point is: they're not authorities on the various topics in some cases. The papers have been uploaded for peer review etc. However. They will almost always cite references and sometimes you will find what you're looking for in the references as opposed to in the main paper.

Also nice to give the student a bit of punt when prompted to do so (after downloading their paper).

Here's one I included just for fun (heartwarming to see that somebody deems Cocaine one of the 100 most important chemical compounds! 🤣 ):

The 100 Most Important Chemical Compounds

Note that both of the above are published books and not papers.

But there's an absolute pile of papers and publications and books etc. on plant/organic alkaloids etc. (the site keeps prompting you with suggestions as you go along).

Also note I downloaded them and then uploaded them to a temporary site hence the links not going to Academia (so no need to panic i.e. those that have not signed up on Academia would not have access to them so I'd be wasting my time and their's by simply providing a direct link to Academia).
Cocaine was thought of as the most important chemical discovery of the past century, as of the 1911 Encyclopaedia Britannica. Pretty noteworthy source, too.

im especially curious about this one; Eschscholzia californica
in Europe they use it for anxiety and it works great! not popular in the US. probably because no business supports it as usual neglecting important drug for various maladies.