• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Is there a cannabis antagonist?

cowardescent

Bluelighter
You know to stop the high from cannabis. If you get a bad trip from LSD, or shrooms, you can take benzos or an antipsychotic to kill the trip. With ecstasy, an antipyschotic will do. Same with stimulants. I don't think antipsychotics work to stop bad cannabis experiences though I would have thought the blocking of dopamine might relieve symptoms in people who hear voices on them.

There are many known cannabinoid antagonists, but none of them are accepted medications as far as I know. Even some herbal products sold as supplements in health food stores contain CB receptor blockers, but you'd probably have to consume an excessive amount to have a clear effect. A cannabinoid antagonist can precipitate withdrawal in heavy cannabis users, just like naloxone does to an opiate addict.

There are many known cannabinoid antagonists, but none of them are accepted medications as far as I know. Even some herbal products sold as supplements in health food stores contain CB receptor blockers, but you'd probably have to consume an excessive amount to have a clear effect. A cannabinoid antagonist can precipitate withdrawal in heavy cannabis users, just like naloxone does to an opiate addict.

Don't the blockers only work if there's nothing already binding to the receptors actively making someone high/medicated? Or do they actively force out whatever's binding to the receptor and take their place?

I'm no expert, I'm honestly curious.

I've never even heard of this stuff for cannabis and everything contained therein, though. When my high's get too intense, I tend to pop a melatonin and try to sleep it off. But then again, people have ripped into me online for that habit, because apparently OTC melatonin is typically sold in much too large of a dose to be considered healthy. YMMV, I guess.

I'm not a real expert either, but a large enough dose of a blocker will always displace other compounds from the receptors.

That's good to know! I just assumed they worked the way I said in my prior post, I didn't know for sure.

That's pretty cool, though.

idk benzos work pretty good for high dose THC discomfort, i would argue benzos are a pretty useful mental band aid. that's probably why they're so horribly seductive for the high strung and nervous.

rimonabant was a CB1 antagonist intended for reduction of hunger in obese people, however it was discovered that it also blocks your brain's natural cannabinoids and therefore caused anhedonia, suicidality and depression in some users - which led to it being pulled off the market

olivetol is not widely seen because it formerly had only one use: making synthetic THC and analogues. whoopsy.

Salutations Cowardescent,

...to stop the high from cannabis.

Actually it's been on the radar of Big Pharma for quite some long while now:

Time - Muting marijuana's high: Pot without the impairment (2014-Jan-3)
« Pregnenolone does not actually prevent THC or the brain’s own cannabinoids from reaching their receptors by physically blocking them— instead it changes the way the receptors react. This is a new mechanism that might also make it useful for people with marijuana addiction. »
In other words bigot anti-cannabic prohibitionists are after a persistent "vaccine" capable of defeating the psychoactive effects of cannabis, In The Name Of Children...

CNN: Drug trial participant dies, 5 others hospitalized in France (2016-Jan-18)
« ...designed to work on the body's endogenous cannabinoid system... ... ...does not contain cannabis or cannabis extracts. »
« Biotrial International said it was "in close and regular contact with the Health Authorities and Ministry in France. »

ME: Possible explanation for neurotoxicity of BIA 10-2474 used in disastrous clinical trial (2017-Jun-9)
« The drug was meant to treat ailments by inhibiting an enzyme called fatty acid amide hydrolase (FAAH). FAAHs in general are meant to do their work by breaking down endocannabinoids in the brain. »
Evidently if we care to ask a high-profile "elite" composed of politician$ & friend$$$ assisted by "spe¢iali$ts"/"expert$" (or just do¢tor$, therapi$ts, poli¢e agent$ and ma$$ media editoriali$ts...) then we must expect they'd argue it's all about promissing "progress"; in short because they never know when to stop, much the same as serial rapists believing they're on a holy mission while refusing to accept that "no" means NO despite incoherent signs.

😔

Relatively to fentanyl a similar strategy was mentioned in the ScienceDaily magazine less than a year ago and the mere thought that NIDA likes it got me seriously concerned as this is fertile ground for similar horror stories to repeat... Meanwhile nobody seems worried that "legal" Mari-Caca continues to push extreme THC:CBD ratios on top of promoting self-vilification via the selling of pre-rolled (obsolete smoker) "joints" as a popular consumption method, seasoned with savvy Pest Control Product soups designed to pass bogus decoy testing and yet mulitply (synergy) toxicity never properly documented before - e.g. at the expense of shamed/over-billed/over-taxed guinea pigs who must show ID cards before they even pass the door.

Good day, have fun!! ☮

Last edited:
No a high CBD strain might but not tried one to my knowledge the incredible bulk was good