• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

is the Wii good

At least it'll give you time to make up some more statistics. :)

atlas said:
In 1929, the stock market was on track to reach unheard of heights in the following year.

I'll make it simpler: For every playstation three Sony sells, the incur a net loss of 200 dollars american. If Sony sold more playstations than there are grains of sand on the beach, they'd be bankrupt. If you only look at the money I've gorossed, I'm probably near a millionare by now. I had to buy food and gas and insurance though, so I'm actually pretty fucking poor.

Then what exactly do you call it, especially when you add the fact that more wiis are produced and sold, and for more profit for their company?

I know that Sony takes a loss on every console sold, so does Microsoft.

If you go back a few pages in this thread, you will actually see that I am the first person who brought that up in this thread.

I put those figured up again, because someone tried to say I made them up at random.

so I guess you've retreated from all those points you made about how the PS3 is, rather than a failure, an unmitigated success?

I just want to hear it, so in a year, I can say you're 0 for 2, rather than just one big loss.

lurkerguy said:
I mean do better with the graphics, not sales.

Graphics are important to me, and I would have payed $300-$400 for a Wii that had graphics equal to Xbox 360 in a second.

That being said, they have their strategy, and selling the console for $50 less than the 360 is part of that strategy.

Also, it should be noted, Nintendo does not lose any money on Wii sales.

Nintendo is the only company that actually makes a profit on the consoles and the games both.

Wii costs less than $200 to make, while Xbox 360 costs more than $700+ to make.

So Nintendo could never sell another game, and Nintendo would still come out with a profit from Wii sales.

I am just a graphics geek, so I need at least one console with the latest graphic

Page 4 of this thread.

So thanks for enlightening me.

lurkerguy said:
No one.

I made it up.

Quote:
Xbox 360 costs $715 to make

Posted Dec 28th 2005 9:00AM by Blake Snow
Filed under: Microsoft Xbox 360, Strategy
Earlier numbers by Business Week may have reported that Microsoft is losing $126 on every Xbox 360 sold. That figure is now believed to be a bit higher by some. According to Insider Scoop, the world's largest software maker is losing upwards of $300 per console sold. From the article: "A high ranking friend at IBM, one that worked on the Xbox 360 chip design, tipped us regarding the real expenses involved in manufacturing the Xbox 360... 'It costs Microsoft approximately $715 to make, the manufacturing costs are still too high, another reason why they’re producing relatively small quantities.'”

If anyone has the money to blow, it's Billsoft. And if true, how long can the company stay in the red?
http://www.joystiq.com/2005/12/28/xb...s-715-to-make/

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...ey&btnG=Search
Edit/Delete Message

Posted by me Page 3 of this thread.

Ironically, someone also said I was making up facts on the page, when I said Microsoft and Sony take a loss on consoles.

Now Finder says that Sony didn't sell get rid of 2,000,000 consoles, at an average of at least $700 a piece.

The point of that post was to show how much people spent on PS3s, as an indicator of how much people will be willing to spend on games in the future.

It had nothing to do with profit on the consoles.

I said that people have spent X amount of money buying each system so far, and all those numbers are accurate.

Last edited:
sony is also selling the 60gb model of 599, not 700, so the loss is more substantial

So I didn't make up statistics then?

Also, like I said, I know they take a loss, so does Microsoft, it is part of both of their business strategies.

And since PS3 just got released less than 3 months ago, it is way too early to predict what is going to happen.

Like I said, only time will tell.

atlas said:
sony is also selling the 60gb model of 599, not 700, so the loss is more substantial

Right, right, so the $599 model costs the same to produce as the $700 model?

Strange...

Also, Microsoft loses money on their consoles, so Xbox is going to be a failure too I guess?

You do own a Wii, and you are a fan boy, no doubt about it.

... there is no 700 model. There's a 599 60gb model, and a 499 20 gb model. I don't know where you're getting 700. The difference in the models is hard drive space, in my understanding. The cost difference in drives is minimal. Sony is taking a profound fucking bath on the 20 gig models (that nobody seems to want), and not even making up the shortfall on the premium 60 gig models.

And no, I don't own a Wii. I have plenty of needs, and plenty of wants before a video game system that I don't have much time to play. Currently, its better for me to just play at freinds' houses.

And I'm a Nintendo fanboy, but that's pretty much immaterial to the discussion. The links I posted don't change, the points I made don't change. I have hated Sony for a vary, very long time. My activity in this thread today has alot more to do with that, than my love foir Nintendo.

Finder said:
Like I said, made up numbers.

Well subtract $100 from each console then.

Either way, people have spent more money on PS3s than Wiis in the last three months, which was the whole point I was trying to make.

atlas said:
I have hated Sony for a vary, very long time.

Yeah, I bet in the first 3 months of the PS2 launch, you said it would be a failure.

lurkerguy said:
Wii is worth the cost, just for Zelda alone.

Also, you know you own a Wii.

You have no time for video games, but you have time to hate Playstation, and debate it for 5 pages.

Right.

Microsoft loses $300-$400 on each console too, so according to your logic Xbox 360 will be an even bigger financial disaster than PS3.

Last edited:
^^
man, srsly. I don't have anything to gain by lying and telling you I don't own a Wii. I would LOVE to own a Wii, I just can't justify the cost right now.

Actually, within the first three months of the gamecube launch, I predicted its failure, just like I did with the N64 (which I never bought, just played friends'). It was as clear to me then that the gamecube didn't respond to the desires of custiomers and developers as it is to me today that the PS3 has an image problem, in the consumer community, as well as the developer community.

Microsoft doesn't lose 300-400 today. That figure is based on the hardware costs prior to launch. The technology has become cheaper. The same thing will happen to Sony, though the chances of it falling to below their pricepoint are slim. Sony is already considering cutting the MSRP to intice buyers. On the supply side: cell processors and blu-ray drivers wont be getting any cheaper to make for the forseeable future, especially since it looks more and more like HD-DVD is the winner in that format war.

Mircosoft is making money on the backend that Sony isnt. Live, Live arcade, games from captured studios (rare, bungie, and now, capcom, maybe). The install base of the 360 is pretty wide at the moment, and they're making inroads into japan. They're selling more games than Sony is, and the shortfall they have to make up is smaller. SO no, I wouldnt say the 360 is doomed to failure.

lurkerguy said:
Well subtract $100 from each console then.

Either way, people have spent more money on PS3s than Wiis in the last three months, which was the whole point I was trying to make.

This is simply because the PS3 costs more. 8(

Additionally, I don't think atlas is debating because he "hates" Playstation, he's debating because you clearly have no idea what you're talking about. You keep saying the same shit without saying anything at all. Who the hell hates an inanimate object, anyway?

yay! just got one today, we have been trying to find one forever, got a call from a friend they were in stock at an EB and went to get it. the chick behind the register was pissed, she wanted to know how we knew :D haha. bitch.

people are crazy over these games, i can't believe how hard it was to find! not surprised though, i am not a gamer, and even i wanted one. it just seems to be so much fun.

and why are yall arguing over this silliness, shutup and go play your video games. ;)

yeah, after reading this thread, it seems to be the game to get! going later tonight to pick up zelda, and i guess that one too!

and hell yeah, get your ass over here...but bring meth. i have a feeling it makes gaming much more fun :D

i am pissed, because we bought a golf game, i didn't realize it came with a sports package. hope they let us exchange it.

tony hawk's downhill jam has become my new favorite game since i finally beat zelda... give it a try if you get a chance.