• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Is my Pain Management Dr. setting me up to get kicked out (PLEASE READ) IMPORTANT

goldenlalonde

Greenlighter
PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND UNLESS YOU'VE READ THIS POST TOP TO BOTTOM. IT IS KINDA LONG, BUT I'VE DECIDED TO GET INTO THE DETAILS FOR A REASON. THANK YOU!

Hi! I'm NEW to Pain management,
I suffer from an Herniated disk after a violent MVC.
The other driver was at fault (also officiated),
SO anyways after about a year of putting up with pain in my lower back due to a herniated disk the Orthopedic Surgeon tell me i have two options SURGERY / EPIDURAL, Understandably i avoid both and avoid both, the pain was pretty bad, i thought i would be able to deal with it THEN WINTER COMES and my pain doubles. I had been avoiding Pain management, because I did not want to become addicted, i get referrals to Pain management i also avoid, however at this time a year having passed since the time of the accident i become concerned about the future of the pain and finally decide to go to Pain Management a year BEFORE the validity of my MRI expires.

I decide to get on the grid for pain management.

ANYWAYS. I felt that necessary to state before get into the questions. So i get into Pain Management, no problems. I get a urine test of which that I'm more than confident I'll pass because i don't do any other drugs besides Xanax of which i've literally been prescribed without a single issue, not even drug tested ONCE in over 20 years.

I express concern to the Pain management i am concerned about becoming addicted, i figure it would be best to be OPEN with my DR knowing how strict they can be are after reading so much literature BEFORE going knowing i would probably get on something addictive. She tells me ''pain is subjective'', take it when necessary or every other day only SO I DO. She prescribes Percocet, i decide to start with small fractions of the pills and start a journal to document how i feel, how my body reacts, how it affects my system, what i notice.. keeping in mind NOT to take any XANAX before taking ANY Percocet at least for 5-6 hours. Which was a suggestion of the Pharmacist upon me asking about the combination of medications. Once again this is ME taking the time to remain informed.

I also upon the initial visit decide to ask for a copy of the paperwork which seemed to delightfully surprise the nurses. I felt they would like to see that, however that is NOT the reason i asked, i asked to be informed and study the papers because that's the way i am, thorough so as to be prepared about anything as usual. I had the feeling actually not many people asked for those documents signed upon the initial visit.

ANYWAYS sorry for such a long intro, im just that way ''details''. About a week later i go to my main doctor, the one that's prescribed Xanax for over 20 years, and i follow the guidelines of pain management rules to the ''t''. In those pain management warnings/regulations/rulles etc it says to ''inform your doctor'' you are taking Percocet, so i do.

NO problem so far right. SECOND APPOINTMENT comes, Pain Management calls me in one hour and a half early. I say OK, im there within 20 minutes. Not sure if this is when a problem starts but come time for me to take a urine test i barely am able to provide a sample since they called me in early it messed up my timing I guess, my plan was to drink fluids before my actual appointment, they are the ones that called me in early.

So I tell them i'll be more than happy to provide a urine test and start drinking water i brought, they tell me the doctor is about to leave, which is the reason they callled me in early, at which point they give me a mouth swab test. It turns blue which i have NO idea what it means (BTW if anyone knows what blue means PLEASE tell me) .

So FINALLY the Doctor comes in and she asks, any problems? I tell her no, just some sensitivity to light, so then she asks me after i express i've been careful because i do not want to get addicted, and have been following her own advice ''pain is subjective, only take when needed''. But then out of the BLUE she asks me to tell my doctor i am taking the new medication she's prescribing, i told her i already did, then she tells me i need confirmation. I'm like hey, ''no problem'', but THEN she asks for CONFIRMATION i say ''OK'' thinking to mysellf not really a problem, but THEN as if that was enough she tells me she ALSO needs confirmation from him ''this medication is right for you''. All i say is OK, not knowing WHAT to think of that, she prescribes my medication, i walk out.

After i got home i had time to think about her request, upon thinking about it i'm thinking the reason she did this was either because (1) She was just being extra cautious (2) She wants to reduce as many people coming who abuse pain medications OF WHICH BY THE WAY I HAVE ABSOLUTE ZERO RECORD of abuse. In fact as stated above i've been prescribed a controlled substance for over 20 years not one problem. (3) This doctor is trying to cover her behind with certain patients, by slightly blame shifting the responsibility upon another doctor besides herself for writing such prescriptions.

I feel so many people trying to abuse this drug, sell this drug are making it much more difficult for the people who are in pain and need help. The problem is what doctor in the world is actually going to say ''yes'', that's the right medication for your patient which is a patient of mine being that it's so controlled.

This medication works for me, i not only get to have the pain taken away when i feel it but smile again and feel OK, which i have not in so long. So it is just me, is this ''standard practice'', am i being ''singled out'', ''making a big fuss over nothing'', or what. I know my doctor will be able to confirm i told him, but as far as him saying i think this medication is right for him, he already stated when i told him it's ok but you should only take it short term or else you would have to take less xanax.

I understand people are being cautious, but it seems overly so. At this time the use and prescription of controlled substances is under fire LIKE NEVER BEFORE, but this is a bit much for those that really need help like me.
Any suggestions? I do of course plan on going to see my doctor to tell him, what the PM doctor requested, but see what the PM doctor did there ''seems to be'' is asking my other doctor to CONFIRM her being a doctor herself that it was ''OK'' for her to prescribe Percocet. What doctor in the world is going to say YES keep writing THAT prescription to him in light of it being SO controlled.

Sounds like a case of CYA as she may be assuring herself that you aren't doubling up...using her as well as your "xanny Doc" for pain meds.
I kind of skimmed your post so maybe I missed the gist and if I did, apologies.

There's nothing strange with doctors confirming with one another your use... Trust me I can barely get my dose continued after 3 months with barely any treatment let alone get it increased to the right amount. Just don't worry if they are prescribing you then you should be okay.

Sounds like a case of CYA as she may be assuring herself that you aren't doubling up...using her as well as your "xanny Doc" for pain meds.
I kind of skimmed your post so maybe I missed the gist and if I did, apologies.
Based on your comment you definitely ''skimmed'' my post friend! I'm not nor have i ever asked my ''xanny Doc'' to prescribe me pain meds. The only reason i went to pain management was because i only see my ''xanny Doc'' every 3rd month, also he's kind of a drive to get there so i got a pain management referral from my local clinic who had been prescribing me naproxen. He'd been on my case about going to pain management before however i thought i could bear the pain of my herniated disc. It's when winter hit that the COLD hit me and made my pain worse that i finally decided to go and get on the grid in case my pain got worse in the future. Thank you.

There's nothing strange with doctors confirming with one another your use... Trust me I can barely get my dose continued after 3 months with barely any treatment let alone get it increased to the right amount. Just don't worry if they are prescribing you then you should be okay.
Kind sir, thank you for taking time to read my post.

I believe it's standard practice to tell update your ''main doctor (other health care providers) that you are using Percocet. I already did that. It was not even the fact she (the Pain Management Dr) even requested confirmation so much as confirmation this was and i quote ''the right medicine for you''. What Dr on earth is going to ask another Dr. to essentially be the one's word to fall back on and essentially confirm ''ok a control substance such as Percocet is Ok" and give the nod knowing how addictive and dangerous it can be in the fiirst place. I still feel she's trying to slip one past me. Does anyone see my point. The doctors don't care about you or me, i believe she was just covering her own behind. Any other thoughts from anyone are thoroughly appreciated.

Believe me, I get being paranoid about such matters in light of the current opiate environment we find ourselves in right now. However, I think you're OK with this one. I really believe your pain doctor is going a little overboard making sure your GP is aware of what's going on. And I agree with you, it would be most unusual for another doctor, your GP in this case, to basically give his/her "stamp of approval" regarding what your pain doctor is prescribing you. I mean, what's the point? It means and accomplishes nothing and legally speaking, no one could possibly hang their hat on what is verified; good, bad or indifferent!

At least in this case, your pain doctor can rest easy knowing they don't have to worry that your GP is going to unknowingly prescribe you anything they shouldn't. And basically everyone is on the same page with what all you're getting. Although a little "over the top" I truly believe no one is trying to railroad you, so.to speak. Good luck going forward!

The problem is people who dont live in chronic pain want to control how others manage their pain when they have no clue what its like. In this climate a Dr has to have all their ducks in a row if they want to avoid a DEA raid.

They have cracked down on doctors regarding patients who take an opiate and a benzo- in the area Im from, it?s practically unheard of to be on both anymore. I work in the medical field and I can assure you it is to Cover their ass and they are not trying to set you up. You PM doc has to make sure your other doctor knows you?re taking them. Don?t worry, I believe you?re fine.

It just sounds like your doctor wants first hand evidence, to hear it from the horses mouth, that your other doctor knows what's up. There's nothing strange about them making sure you've signed release so they can speak with one another to confirm what's going on rather than rely on you to communicate between them. It's beyond standard

They definitely don?t like opiate/benzodiazepine combinations.

I?m afraid they are cracking down everywhere, afa opiate / opioids go.

Not to go OT, but, I suggest medicinal Ketamine.
Most doctors are very happy with it and if it works the way it should for you, you won?t want Percocet.

YMMV, but it?s worth looking into.

Why so paranoid? Sounds about normal to me. The pain doctor doesn't know your medical history and prob doesn't have time so she asked you to have your gp ok the meds she gave you considering he prescribes to you as well .?‍♀️