• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

Is it wrong to not let a pregnant chick smoke weed?

I dunno...I've already stated my opinion; but just as any FYI:
A friend just recently gave birth 3 weeks premature to a now healthy baby girl after smoking pot and cigs during the pregnancy. The baby was tiny and at risk early on; but fortunately has gained weight quickly and appears to be physically healthy now. My concern has more to do with potentially diminishing the intellectual capacity of a child by abusing any chemicals during the pregnancy...but, if it's not my pot they can do whatever they want...hell, if they pack a bowl I'll be smoking it with them...pregnant or not.

10k11

faris said:
zero..

way to take someone's post completely out of context. where did anyone say that pot CURES cancer? no.....it ALLEVIATES the PAIN of chemo and that, my friend, is a huge fucking difference.

By stating "SvnLyrBrto, if you think that your doctors are somehow prescribing you something more medically useful than marijuana, then you're crazy" he appears to be suggesting that marijuana is some sort of "cure all" and that doctor prescribed medication-such as that used to treat cancer-is worthless compared to the medical benefits of pot. If that is NOT what he meant then he should have made his point a little more clear then.

Look, I’m not necessarily criticizing people for using marijuana medicinally but it is my personal opinion that from what I know-and from what’s generally unknown-I don’t think that using marijuana-or any psychoactive drug for that matter-while pregnant, is an especially wise idea. Anyway, just thought I’d mention that for the record, I’m all for the medicinal use of marijuana and that I strongly believe that marijuana often offers a safer and more effective choice then some pharmaceuticals do in certain situations, though, again, the results are too inconclusive in regards to it’s effects on the developing fetus to think that it’s a totally safe option.

Insofar as taking drugs while pregnant, well, my partner has suffered through an absolute shit of a pregnancy. She was terribly sick almost everyday throughout and to make matters worse she developed a condition where she produced a grossly-and I mean grossly-abnormal amount of saliva-she had to have a drool cup under her mouth at all times and could fill an 8 oz glass in about ten minutes-yet she took no drugs throughout her pregnancy and went to work everyday until last Friday (she’s due next week :D ). So I guess my point is that there are other options available no matter how crap you feel and one of them is total abstinence from everything, but I guess that it’s all individual choice isn’t it. My apologies for sounding judgemental ladies that was not my intention, I guess that perhaps we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

Zero the hero said:
By stating "SvnLyrBrto, if you think that your doctors are somehow prescribing you something more medically useful than marijuana, then you're crazy" he appears to be suggesting that marijuana is some sort of "cure all" and that doctor prescribed medication-such as that used to treat cancer-is worthless compared to the medical benefits of pot. If that is NOT what he meant then he should have made his point a little more clear then.
].

I thik her point was pretty clear man. None of the drugs used to TREAT cancer cure it. there is no cure for it. you can A. expose yourself to radiation B. take extremely strong opiate painkillers C. smoke weed (as a few of the options that are available.) as far as the known damage of all of those things, with still none of them curing it , sounds pretty logical to me. i think its jus how you interpreted it wrong.

Smoking weed while pregnant

I have seen a few mom's mess up their kids with hard drugs.. but not pot..

as far as "not letting a pregnant chick smoke weed".. well.. she is her own person..

that's my two cents..
Amen dude just mind yo business

You don’t want to feel responsible for her child or her habit while she’s pregnant, that’s fair.

I wouldn’t either, tell her to go find it herself

EDIT: Wow... So uhhh, I just checked the original post date. This threads so old that the fetus in the original post would now be almost a teenager....

Bit late now.

I don't think it's wrong, in the sense that you shouldn't feel compelled to go against your conscience.

But I do question how much of a difference it makes. Unfortunately I'm not sure there's much data one way or the other about Marijuanas effects on pregnancies. But it seems highly unlikely it poses more than a very mild risk.

Still, I don't feel it's wrong to not want to go against your conscience in this way.

I don't know how relevant this is, but me and several people I know have a firm rule against sharing heroin with anyone who hasn't already tried it. Now heroin and Marijuana are very different drugs of course, and the actual risk in reality is probably very different. But fundamentally it's the same basic idea. Not wanting to feel responsible for something bad happening to someone else.

I doubt that risk with Marijuana is very high, but it's probably not zero risk either.

My friends wife just had a kid a year back and I learned she smoked the whole pregnancy. I dunno, I was kinda pissed when she said that.

But the simple fact is there isn't much research into it. So maybe I was wrong to get angry. But still... If I were preggers (I am a man though) I'd stay 100% clean of all drugs of any sort.

Its not your business to let her do anything, If you did have her best interests at heart and knew enough about addiction and pregnancy to be so judgemental you wouldn't have any weed or other shit at a party and see for yourself even without Being up the duff to not have cravings.

A cone now and then is fine ffs, chill out Brussels sprouts.

Well, I didn't voice my anger if that makes you feel better.

If my wife were to be with child though I would insist she be 100% sober/clean from anything. It's only 9 months.

Well, I didn't voice my anger if that makes you feel better.

If my wife were to be with child though I would insist she be 100% sober/clean from anything. It's only 9 months.

I'm afraid I must disagree with you. Things aren't always as simple as you describe.

One of the early posts in this thread mentioned the crack baby epidemic. I didn't reply to it because I noticed that we were talking about a 12 year old baby this threads so old.

But if I had, I'd have pointed out that the crack baby epidemic is actually a perfect metaphor here. It didn't exist. It was imagined. There's no real evidence that crack has those kinds of effects on children.

There IS such evidence for alcohol of course, so I'm by no means saying taking drugs in pregnancy isn't something worth being concerned about.

But I am saying you gotta take these risks and temper them with the data.

To take one example. Pregnant heroin addicts are repeatedly put in danger by well meaning people telling them to immediately get off heroin. In spite of the fact that there's substantially more evidence of the risk of miscarriage from withdrawal than from opioid use.

Current best practice calls for maintainence therapy in pregnant opioid users. Not getting off the drug entirely.

Now we're talking about Marijuana, not heroin, I get that. And chances are you'd be better off not taking Marijuana while pregnant.

But odds are from current data that the risk is quite low. And ironically, the risk from making assumptions about what's good in pregnancy rather than going off the data is probably more dangerous.

no way, there are several studies showing the effect of CBD and THC on the fetuses' development

If you could link me I'd appreciate it. I went looking when I first saw this thread. And I did find some evidence suggesting a somewhat increased risk of miscarriage and low birth rate, but not much else.

And certainly that's nowhere near the danger something like alcohol poses.

Not that you should really drink while pregnant either. I just want people to keep these risks in perspective is all.

Old thread I know but regarding cannabis and cancer, recent research does show that aside from relieving pain, cannabis also inhibits cancer cell growth. So it doesn't "cure" cancer but does seem to stop it getting worse. All without blasting yourself full of radiation.

I would still stress that it's only 9 months though. Why risk it?

Well, there may be risks if you're a heavy Marijuana user from stopping it too. If the mother uses Marijuana for medical purposes, the risks related to stress and other problems form stopping may not be trivial either.

But the problem here is lack of data. I at least haven't been able to find much. If we did we could have a more confident course of action to recommend.

Of course if you don't smoke Marijuana much anyway, you'd almost certainly be better off holding off for the duration of pregnancy. It's hard to imagine how that couldn't be the best course of action.

What I don't like about some arguments in these discussions is how they seem to assume that always quitting as fast as possible for the duration of pregnancy is automatically the best course of action. That's not automatically true in all cases.

Last edited:
If you could link me I'd appreciate it. I went looking when I first saw this thread. And I did find some evidence suggesting a somewhat increased risk of miscarriage and low birth rate, but not much else.

And certainly that's nowhere near the danger something like alcohol poses.

Not that you should really drink while pregnant either. I just want people to keep these risks in perspective is all.

https://www.the-scientist.com/featu...o-cannabis-affects-the-developing-brain-65230, not a paper but brings several nice bibliographical references

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-019-52336-w.pdf?origin=ppub (cannabis + alcohol)

then if you follow the references from these papers there will be a comprehensive set of studies

It is important to be very clear in this aspect, mainly by highlighting that neurocannabinoids play a substantial role in the neural development so it is OBVIOUS that external cannabinoids plus THC will interfere in the process

It's the dose and frequency that determines harm in pregnancy when it comes to things like cannabis.

If a pregnant woman has a sip of wine every few weeks, that's going to be different than drinking alcohol every day.

Same with having a toke of weed here and there vs. on the daily.

Pregnant women need to live a little too. It's all about moderation.

It's the dose and frequency that determines harm in pregnancy when it comes to things like cannabis.

If a pregnant woman has a sip of wine every few weeks, that's going to be different than drinking alcohol every day.

Same with having a toke of weed here and there vs. on the daily.

Pregnant women need to live a little too. It's all about moderation.

If a pregnant woman cannot deal with a life without drugs, man, think about that before getting pregnant and don't stay intoxicating your child even a little, some things in life need a level of abdication.

If a pregnant woman cannot deal with a life without drugs, man, think about that before getting pregnant and don't stay intoxicating your child even a little, some things in life need a level of abdication.

Yeah well sometimes people act irresponsibly. Saying they shouldn't doesn't change that they do.

And as I pointed out earlier. In some cases withdrawal can be harmful to the fetus than continuing to use.

The world is not black and white.