• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction Is it unsafe to use Tramadol while on Lexapro (and Klonopin & sometimes other stuff)?

Mycophile

Bluelighter
Is it unsafe to use Tramadol while on Lexapro (and Klonopin & sometimes other stuff)?

I have access to a little bit of Tramadol which I have never tried before and I am interested in maybe trying a little bit but I take 40mgs of Lexapro everyday and also MOST days but not every single day, I take between 1.5-2.0mgs of Klonopin.

I also use Kratom 3-4 days a week, Phenibut 1-2 days a week and drink a lot of coffee.

1) Is it dangerous to take Tramadol while on Lexapro??

This is the big question because Lexapro is ALWAYS in my system.

2) And if it is SOMEWHAT safe to take Tramadol while on Lexapro, would I be more likely to be ok if I skipped my dose of Lexapro on a day of taking Tramadol, or maybe even skipped 2 days of Lexapro before taking it??

I'm not going to skip more than 2 days of Lexapro in a row cause I don't think it's good cause I need it.

3) What are some bad things that could happen if I combine Tramadol with my Lexapro?

4) Is if safe to take Tramadol while on Klonopin?

I can completely skip a day of Klonopin if I decide to take Tramadol but I would still have some Klonopin left in my system.

5) Is it safe to combine Tramadol with Kratom (while also on Lexapro and most likely Klonopin as well)??

6) Is it safe to combine Tramadol with Phenibut??

7) Is it safe to combine Tramadol with high doses of caffeine?? (probably a silly question as I assume it is)

8) Is it safe to take Melatonin while on Tramadol?? (probably also a silly question)

9) What does the Tramadol high feel like??

What drugs would most consider the high to feel like?

10) What other drugs is Tramadol related to?

11) IF it is safe, and I were to combine Tramadol with Kratom and/or Phenibut, what would the overall high most likely feel like??

I know that is a lot of questions, but I'd really appreciate some well thought out answers.

THANKS guys

I would not combine tramadol with Lexapro for risk of serotonin syndrome.

I would not combine tramadol with Lexapro for risk of serotonin syndrome.

Ok then I probably won't.

Do other people agree with him that SS is a big risk combining Tramadol and Lexapro, or is it a relatively minor risk??

Like some people think combining Dexadrine with Lexapro is a risk of SS and while it technically is somewhat of a risk, I haven't personally found it to be a big risk with low doses of Dex.

Also, WHY is SS a risk with combining Lexapro and Dexadrine??

Is it because Tramadol is a serotonin releaser or is it an MAOI??

Because from what I have heard those are generally the types of drugs which cause a risk with SSRIs, those which are either MAOIs or serotonin releasers.

Tramadol inhibits the reuptake of serotonin and norepinephrine, so yeah it is definitely advised to not combine it with SSRI Antidepressants like Lexapro (Escitalopram).

The high of Tramadol can be quite enjoyable without opioid tolerance. But some people don't get much out of it because they lack the enzymes that convert it to O-Desmethyltramadol.

It is just not worth the risk.

I'm prescribed tramadol with an SNRI. I still don't take them together. I'm almost certain I got some degree of serotonin syndrome from tramadol by itself within my prescribed dosage (I was prescribed the max dosage at the time). I felt super hot, I was losing control of my muscles, my whole body was going stiff, and my limbs were flailing almost uncontrollably. I had to use every ounce of will power not to lose complete control over my body. Crazy part is I didn't even take more tram than I was prescribed. I never got checked out by a doctor, so I can't be sure that SS is what it was, but it pretty much matched all the symptoms.

I just don't think it's worth it to combine the two. If you look around the internet, there are tons of horror stories from people mixing it with antidepressants. IME physical dependence develops 10x faster than kratom with way worse WD. I just don't see there being much benefit to using it vs what you already take regardless of the risk for SS.

If you do decide to use it though, you'll definitely want to have the klonopins at the ready. Definitely don't skip klonopin if your taking tramadol because of the seizure risk. Stay safe man

Yes, the combination can cause fatal serotonin syndrome. Also, mixing tramadol with other drugs that further lower the seizure threshold can be fatal. AFAIK, it's what killed Ol' Dirty Bastard during his fatal combining of cocaine and tramadol.

Tramadol inhibits the reuptake of serotonin and norepinephrine, so yeah it is definitely advised to not combine it with SSRI Antidepressants like Lexapro (Escitalopram).

It's much worse than that, it actually acts as a serotonin releasing agent (SRA) weaker than MDMA, which is why the effect is so noticeable and instant. It does inhibit the reuptake of norepinephrine, though, lowering seizure threshold further. Mixing SSRI's/antidepressants with eachother is already playing with fire, mixing a serotonin releasing agent like tramadol with SSRI's is doing the same just doused with gasoline.

It's not worth the risk trying to get off on tramadol with any sort of tolerance. Even if you weren't on Lexapro, if 100mg instant release tramadol doesn't make you noticeably high, then stop chasing it. It can cause seizures on its own, and this risk gets higher in dosage, 250mg of it sometimes enough to cause a seizure in some people with low seizure thresholds.

Ok thanks a lot guys.

That's why I come here cause now I am DEFINITELY not ever going to take Tramadol while on Lexapro.

Sounds way too dangerous.

The high of Tramadol can be quite enjoyable without opioid tolerance. But some people don't get much out of it because they lack the enzymes that convert it to O-Desmethyltramadol.

It is just not worth the risk.

As mentioned I am now NOT going to take Tramadol, but I am just curious about the bolded comment.

Is Tramadol an opiate?

And if it IS then why have I found it totally safe to mix other opioids/opiates with my Lexapro like: Oxycodone,Hydrocodone,Codeine,Kratom,Kratom Extract,Opium, etc??

Those don't seem to have anything in them that can cause serotonin syndrome when mixed with an SSRI (or am I wrong about that) so why does Tramadol if it has anything to do with "opioid tolerance"?

Just curious.

As mentioned I am now NOT going to take Tramadol, but I am just curious about the bolded comment.

Is Tramadol an opiate?

And if it IS then why have I found it totally safe to mix other opioids/opiates with my Lexapro like: Oxycodone,Hydrocodone,Codeine,Kratom,Kratom Extract,Opium, etc??

Those don't seem to have anything in them that can cause serotonin syndrome when mixed with an SSRI (or am I wrong about that) so why does Tramadol if it has anything to do with "opioid tolerance"?

Just curious.
Tramadol is an opioid plus it inhibits the reuptake of serotonin (some papers say that it's a Serotonin releasing agent instead of SRI, but either way it interacts with serotonin receptors) and to a lesser extend norepinephrine, while one of it's active metabolites acts as a norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor.
That's why you don't want to mix tramadol with MAOIs, SSRIs etc., because mixing drugs that act on serotonin can lead to Serotonin Syndrome (you can read up on it here: http://bluelight.org/vb/threads/795784-Dangerous-Drug-Combinations-Megathread)

Other opioids/opiates don't interact with serotonin (but there are a few reports of I think oxycodone and fentanyl + SSRI leading to Serotonin Syndrome like symptomes, but that seems highly unlikely in normal people)