Mental Health Is It True That If A Phobia Returns, It Will Be Worse?

Saturn_17

Greenlighter
I'm just wondering if it's true that a phobia you once had returns that phobia will be worse than it was before you first overcame it.

Can anyone verify this?

No, never heard that. I would think it would depend on a lot of factors. Do you have a phobia that you think has gotten worse?

Yea. I can't name it though since it's pretty stupid (long story).

I think the reason it returned was due to an asshole physician's actions and what he said (and I can't put in a complaint since he works for a clinic with a shitty reputation - complaints are not acknowledged at all by anyone; the rating for the clinic is 1.7 out of 5 stars on Google and 1.2 out of 5 stars on Facebook). I try to forget about what happened but can't, no matter what I do.

It's possible.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess. I want to say something about anxiolytics, the benzodiazepine family like diazepam (Valium) and clonazepam (Klonopin). Firstly, if you and yours decide its best to stop using it, a slow lowering of dose after use for months or years is needed. Secondly, the blowback effects of said stopped use can feel like a worse version of your original anxiety, or even symptoms of another anxiety disorder can appear.

Truly overcoming mental illness, including phobias, is in building yourself up through therapy, given your potential to grow via meds. Therapy is like the water, meds are like the soil, in a way.

So do medications/drugs have a place in this question of yours?

My doctor won't prescribe any benzodiazepines. I also can't take anti-depressants because I am epileptic (that's not why my doctor won't prescribe benzodiazepines - he doesn't do this for anyone; unfortunately nobody is taking new patients so I'm screwed right now). I tried Cognitive Behavioral Therapy but that didn't work.

However, I am on Medical Marijuana but I developed a tolerance to the dose I was on. I see the Cannabis doctor next week (second appointment - apparently she sees patients just starting Cannabis every two months for the first three years) and I'm stressed about that. It has nothing to do with the urine test or even talking to her, it's something else that I can't talk about on here (or even tell her) that will always freak me out....ever since I was two years old I have had a phobia of something that not a lot of people know that I have. This damn phobia is so bad that I can't even write anything associated with it or what the phobia is, even though I know. I also can't read or even watch anything associated with it I close whatever I'm reading, skip the paragraph, change the channel or, if it's in a YouTube clip, exit out of it.

In 1999, when I was nine years old, I temporarily "overcame" my phobia after having three dreams about it - the first one was a nightmare; it had me convinced I would be in trouble because in the nightmare I shoved a nurse out a window of a ten storey building that was a hospital - two weeks after the nightmare happened I told my friend, who was in the dream, about it and she told my mom. It was only then that I admitted to the phobia (even though I faced it in the dream then freaked out and shoved the nurse out the window after).

That night, after admitting that I had a phobia, I dreamed that I had to face the phobia again, except this time it was from someone in a TV Show that I now hate (not because of the dream either). In this dream I had to face my phobia again, except this time it was in my former bedroom in a place I lived in from 1994 to 1998. In the dream, as a reward for facing my phobia, I was able to meet and ask this actress that was in the TV Show how old she was when a certain episode was filmed. She told me; a few years later I looked up her date of birth but couldn't find it. I told people that were wondering how old she was what I dreamed that she told me and they said that what I was told sounded right. Anyway, when I woke up from that dream I felt like 50% of my phobia was gone.

Two weeks after the second dream I had another dream where I was taken back to the hospital that was in my first dream. It wasn't a cop that brought me to the crime scene; it was a doctor that I had at the time (and he knew about my phobia before I admitted to having it). In the dream he took me back to the room where I shoved the nurse out the window. I noticed that all of the lights on the ceiling were smashed, the window I had shoved the nurse out of was now boarded up with plywood, and there were crime scene placards everywhere (and at the time I wasn't watching any crime shows on TV - neither did my friends or anyone in my family). The doctor asked if I was responsible for what happened and I nodded. He then whispered something to me and I woke up. I felt like the other 50% of my phobia was gone. I told my friend about it (the one who had been in the first dream/nightmare) and she told me to prove that I overcame the phobia. Since it was a medical phobia there was no way I was able to prove to her that I overcame it. I only realized that I overcame it six weeks later when I attended an appointment with the same doctor that was in my third dream.

Then, in 2001, I started feeling embarrassed dealing with the phobia I thought I overcame. I was able to hide that feeling of embarrassment (and can still hide it - only barely though). I didn't stress about the appointments like I do now. That stress only started after I saw the asshole doctor two years ago.

I have told the people I trust about my phobia returning but this time it didn't make any difference at all. I still have it (I tried saying I wasn't afraid but that didn't work either). I haven't had any medical dreams either relating to my phobia after seeing that asshole doctor. (I would usually wake up feeling like the dream actually happened - sleep paralysis or vivid dreams I guess.) Maybe my mind is that freaked out after what happened with the asshole doctor that it refuses to dream anything related to my phobia now (instead I have dreamed about that asshole doctor being nasty or chasing me through the woods - and I'm not afraid of the woods, I just wanted to get away from him). I would rather dream about my phobia instead of that asshole; however, in the last dream I had, BEFORE I saw the Cannabis doctor, I apparently saved him from a fire in a dream and when he asked why I was saving him I replied, saying "I'm willing to help people, unlike you"

By the way, I'm not anonymouse77. I don't know who that is. I looked at their profile and they were recently active; if I had that username I would be posting from that account instead of this one (sorry if that came across as rude).

Fun fact:
I was originally going to see that asshole doctor at the Cannabis clinic but after seeing him somewhere else (as a regular doctor - he was an asshole to me when I went to a local walk-in clinic for the flu; it was his behaviour that made the phobia almost full force - the phobia is 99% back now and I can barely hide it, doctors would never know that I have it) I refused to see him at the Cannabis clinic (I called and found out I was referred to him; I asked to be referred to someone else and the manager decided to put me with someone else instead who I never met before; she wasn't an asshole when I saw her). The weird part is I kept having nightmares about him and my intuition told me to look him up on the local College of Physicians and Surgeons website - that's how I found out he was also a Cannabis doctor. I never heard anyone say that he was also a Cannabis doctor, not even on the news so it's weird that my intuition told me to look him up even though I didn't know that he not just a General Practitioner.

Sorry for the long post, I thought it would make sense to explain it all (since otherwise it wouldn't make a lot of sense).

Last edited:
Update: The phobia I posted about, is now gone, thanks to two dreams.

In the first dream, which I guess you could call "Part One", I was at my mom's friend's house (whose house is actually very dirty; I was trying to clean her friend's house) and was in the kitchen. Clear Rivers, from "Final Destination", appeared, and asked if I found it yet. I asked what she was referring to and she grabbed a picture. In it, some people were in it that I didn't know, along with the asshole doctor. The asshole doctor was dressed up like a farmer (the same picture he had as his Facebook profile picture when I went to block him after seeing him two years ago - I blocked him since I have heard about doctors contacting patients via social media in the past just to continue their nastiness and the police refuse to do anything unless you're being threatened). Clear told me that he was really "Death" in disguise. I then woke up.

Two nights later, I had another dream, which I guess you could call "Part Two". This time, I was back at my mom's friend's house, in the kitchen. Clear was there and told me she invited the doctor over. When the doctor came, she tied him up in rope to prevent him from escaping. Characters from a TV show (that is a cartoon) and still my favorite cartoon (the TV show is called "Rescue Heroes"; it has been my favorite since September 2003) appeared and I was given a cake as a reward for overcoming my phobia (even though I didn't face the phobia in the dream). I woke up before I got to see what happened to the doctor or eat the cake but I also woke up feeling like the phobia was gone.