• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Is it safe to take MDMA while on SSRI medication

NorwegianElkhound

Bluelighter
I am prescribed duloxetine 20mg daily (sometimes I miss a dose because I havent been on it very long) and have an opportunity to acquire real MDMA. Is it a serotonin syndrome or other danger risk?

No, it's not safe. Don't do it.
It wont work or it can cause serotonin syndrome.

I take Duloxetine, 120mg a day. I have used MDMA regularly and have had no issues. I came across one scientific study that claimed Duloxetine stopped MDMA working but when I read into it the experiment didn't really prove anything.
They had given people who were new to Duloxetine the highest dose possible the evening before and then a few hours before MDMA. It takes about a month for the body to adjust to anti depressants.
Anyway I skip my Duloxetine a day before I drop and always have a great time.

I didn't try MDMA on duloxetine myself however I tried rolling on fluoxetine and on citalopram and it did not work worth a shit.

I would suggest as @RomanJ that you skip it at least a day before the MDMA. Duloxetine has a shorter Half-Life than citalopram or fluoxetine so it MIGHT work. The worst that will happen is that it will be a waste and you won't roll.

SSRI's and MDMA are actually a pretty low risk combination a relatively new study shows (https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00213-021-05876-x). The only thing that's actually dangerous is going overboard with the MDMA due to its reduced efficacy.

That having said your experience will probably be unsatisfactory and much weaker than usual. A waste of money if you ask me, but the combination is not as risky as many people make it out to be. MDMA + MAOi's is a different story though...

Since you've never done it before you won't even know what you're missing if it doesn't work. I just recently came off an 11 year hiatus from rolling (quit my SSRI/SNRI) and have binged grams and grams and grams of MDMA in the past few months. I've lost SO much weight and been staying up 3-4 days in a go.

SSRI's and MDMA won't cause serotonin syndrome together. That's impossible as the SSRI will block MDMA's ability to reverse the reuptake mechanism and as such will lead to a much lower level of serotonin in the synaptic cleft than there would be with MDMA alone, while serotonin syndrome is a (way) too high level of serotonin in the synaptic cleft, so one precludes the other. The MDMA experience will be completely blunted though, it's not worth it since you will probably be left longing for the MDMA to break through and it never will. And while it won't straight up kill you, I don't think it's wise to combine two powerful substances like that, it can have some pretty unpredictable effects. Also, if you're on an SSRI that usually (not always) means you are taking it for mental health issues and that might not be the best mindset to use drugs on. I've done it myself so I understand but it's still not a good idea. All in all, I would avoid this combo

I take Duloxetine, 120mg a day. I have used MDMA regularly and have had no issues. I came across one scientific study that claimed Duloxetine stopped MDMA working but when I read into it the experiment didn't really prove anything.
They had given people who were new to Duloxetine the highest dose possible the evening before and then a few hours before MDMA. It takes about a month for the body to adjust to anti depressants.
Anyway I skip my Duloxetine a day before I drop and always have a great time.
I didn't try MDMA on duloxetine myself however I tried rolling on fluoxetine and on citalopram and it did not work worth a shit.

I would suggest as @RomanJ that you skip it at least a day before the MDMA. Duloxetine has a shorter Half-Life than citalopram or fluoxetine so it MIGHT work. The worst that will happen is that it will be a waste and you won't roll.
I've been on duloxetine for like 10 years and:
a) how the hell do you guys skip it for a day??? I get withdrawals if I'm even a few hours late taking it, and
b) I've found that MDMA does nothing, and LSD and mushrooms barely do anything since being on duloxetine, so I don't really bother any more. Sometimes I'll take shrooms but I have to have a MUCH bigger dose to get the desired effect.

Since you've never done it before you won't even know what you're missing if it doesn't work. I just recently came off an 11 year hiatus from rolling (quit my SSRI/SNRI) and have binged grams and grams and grams of MDMA in the past few months. I've lost SO much weight and been staying up 3-4 days in a go.
Dude....go easy on it ay. You might wind up having to go back on antidepressants if you fuck your serotonin receptors up.

I am prescribed duloxetine 20mg daily (sometimes I miss a dose because I havent been on it very long) and have an opportunity to acquire real MDMA. Is it a serotonin syndrome or other danger risk?
As per my comments above, it's not worth it. You probably won't roll so it's just a waste of MDMA. Plus, I hate to be "that guy" but keep in mind that you've been prescribed an antidepressant for a reason, and taking MDMA is completely counterintuitive to taking antidepressants.

I've been on duloxetine for like 10 years and:
a) how the hell do you guys skip it for a day??? I get withdrawals if I'm even a few hours late taking it, and
b) I've found that MDMA does nothing, and LSD and mushrooms barely do anything since being on duloxetine, so I don't really bother any more. Sometimes I'll take shrooms but I have to have a MUCH bigger dose to get the desired effect.
I take mine in the evening usually and will miss it the evening I'm partying and then take take it when I'm coming down. I don't seem to get amy withdrawal symptoms until I've missed 2 days though.

That's no good that MDMA does nothing, I was surprised when I first took a pill after starting Duloxetine because I assumed it wouldn't work. I started with a half and had a blast. I do seem to need more than my wife but I'm not taking a huge dose of MDMA, maybe 300mg.
I haven't tried mushrooms or LSD but DMT still works fine for me.
I guess everyone has a different genetic make up?

I take mine in the evening usually and will miss it the evening I'm partying and then take take it when I'm coming down. I don't seem to get amy withdrawal symptoms until I've missed 2 days though.

That's no good that MDMA does nothing, I was surprised when I first took a pill after starting Duloxetine because I assumed it wouldn't work. I started with a half and had a blast. I do seem to need more than my wife but I'm not taking a huge dose of MDMA, maybe 300mg.
I haven't tried mushrooms or LSD but DMT still works fine for me.
I guess everyone has a different genetic make up?
Nah mate it wouldn't have to do with genetics in this situation. It'd have more to do with the dose of duloxetine. I'm on a pretty high dose. Honestly I don't mind MDMA not working any more. I was psychologically addicted to it for over a decade and abused THE FUCK out of it. I've done my time with MDMA, had some amazingly wonderful experiences and met some lifelong friends. That's actually how my fiance and I met :) But these days I value my sanity much more than the occasional roll :)