• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Is it safe to take low dose anti-histamine or similar when taking ghb? or other non antihistamine decongestant suggestions

Tieeurrrop

Bluelighter
Thought the thread would be better suited here for an informed reply.

I have perennial rhinitis due to underlying allergy. Usually this is kept under control through prevention of triggers however all gaba b drugs I tried seem to cause it to be more noticeable and irritating during the duration of the drug's effects which is so apparent it spoils the high for me.

I don't know if it is increased production or the decreased effect of the normal functions of the bodies' clearance mechanisms due to depressant effect of these drugs. I think the former.

Either way, would it be safe to take a small dose of antihistamine to try and lower this side effect when taking GHB and such?

They say don't mix downers but would a 2nd generation non-drowsy otc anti-histamine like loratidine pose any significant risk?

Alternatively, and I would prefer not take antihistamines, as I hate them generally, other suggestions for decongestants or other solution, I have to stem the production of the post nasal drip whilst under the influence of the G or curb by some other means?

I don't think a non-sedative antihistamine has synergistic effect with GHB. It also shouldn't affect the rate of metabolism of GHB, because the enzyme that removes GHB from the body can't take most other medications as a substrate.

Baclofen is a pharmaceutical that is sedative with a mechanism similar to GHB, and it's warned that it can cause increased drowsiness with 1st gen antihistamines, but there seem to be no actual case reports of bad reactions with that combination. If something like loratadine were to interact badly with GHB or baclofen, someone would have already noticed it because there are so many people with allergies that require regular antihistamine use.

I've never heard of GHB causing rhinitis before, strange.

Antiistamines should be fine, especially second gen ones.

I wouldn't start diphenhydramine or doxylamine with GHB, with regular use this might be less of a problem but I have seen them knocking people out to the point of being unable to stay awake with just regular dosage - not everybody gets it this strong but they are sedatives.

The 2nd gen ones like already pointed out are probably fine. They don't act centrally.