• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Is it preferable to start with shrooms or LSD?

Honestly shrooms are more melted visuals and a heavy body feeling while LSD is more defined with a light body feeling while both swing from energetic to seating in a hard way to explain kinda like approaching towards each in a different order...

Lsd is more unique as a tryptamine being more dopamine active. In my opinion mushroom is a better place to start, but LSD could be started with although with bad trips more psychosis like experiences are with them in my opinion. It's like the body is less engaged in the trip so if you say see something scary it will more hide behind a door until it gets to you vs mushrooms engulfing your body leaving you on the floor flailing.... I'm sure both could lead to both bad trips and it's really hard to explain the difference and I'm probably doing no good to express it to you.

Just look into things like various psychedelic handbooks regarding trip safety and things like set, setting, and substance. Try not to have expectations on the experience. Remember you can always take more never less.

I'll also add with mushrooms you can slowly increase the dose. You can probably do the same with LSD, but it is much more difficult to eat 1/10 a tab at a time while mushrooms you can eat a gram, then another later, and again until you don't need to feel the need anymore.

For your first time? I wouldn't recommend it.
Shrooms can be quite confronting. LSD lasts a long time and is kind of exhausting, but mushrooms can be sort of difficult to deal with if you're not in the best set and/or setting.

I've known more people to have difficult trips on shrooms. But they can also be incredibly gentle and euphoric.

Either way, i would recommend taking your first trip(s) at home or in a safe, comfortable space

What's wrong with a festival? In my opinion that is a good environment assuming you have your own comfortable tent to retreat to. Not only do you have your own space, but you have music, other people tripping, and a medical tent in case something goes wrong. In many ways that it is a better setting than tripping at home by yourself.

^ yeah but on the other hand a festival can be a bit of sensory overload, especially if you're relatively new to psychedelics
sometimes its just better to be in an environment you know well and feels innately safe - good vibes etc etc

I second taking it at home.... Just smoke herb at the fest the music should be a trip enough. After you have a couple experiences in your belt you can start outside, but the first few trips are always best to start in a controlled environment such as home and then once the unsettling come up is over. Once one learns to get through that possibly unsettling come up with ease then it's easier to start in less controlled environments like social areas. This is what's called the setting factor.

Lsd is of course the substance you intend to ingest, but the true substance is a medium I'm assuming paper supposedly infused with an unknown amount of a possibly active substance. You have to be aware of the full spectrum of possibilities going into it that's why it's important to know what your substance is not just assume you're taking a drug as even the food you eat and air (oxygen and everything else with it) you breath will affect your experience.

Set is the last being your self set. Not just your mind, spirit, or body rather all three. Are they in tune with one another in a sense that fosters growth or will it cause harm in any way or completely? Will the setting and/or substance disrupt your set? This I would think is the end all question before tripping...

That being said what do I know? In the 60s I'm sure many people tripped outside well, but it was also a completely different time where society definitely fostered trust in one another to a much stronger degree than nowadays although with a good set of friends aware you're tripping so if you get uncomfortable they can guide you to a quiet place through the crowd to sit and remind you how wrong you are in that moment about whatever is causing the trip until you pass through the fear, but do you really want to risk putting that responsibility on your friends during a festival? Are you positive they won't ditch you first sight of you going awry as anyone involved could end up explaining to security why someone started stripping and rubbing up on the hot dog stand..... It's one of those things you won't believe happened till it does and even with experience can barely be expected and turned around without outside assistance especially in uncontrolled chaotic environment like festivals unless they set up a trip chill spot, but that's not too common.

Anyways I hope you enjoy the festival and Lsd! The experience of both can be had separate and could add to make a better whatever vs both at the same time.

[you] could end up explaining to security why someone started stripping and rubbing up on the hot dog stand

you promised you wouldn't tell anyone that mannnn
aha but yeah this is essentially my arguement for trial runs in a familiar environment before boldly going out into the wider, wilder world

Everyone is different and there is no way of knowing how you'll react to one or the other. Personally, I have a very high anxiety level and the two times I did shrooms were truly awful experiences. Terrifying. But for whatever reason, I have done LSD dozens and dozens of times and never had a bad experience. It has always been pleasant and not aggravated my anxiety in the slightest bit.

I find shrooms to be much more overpowering; I feel much more "in control" on LSD. But again, this will vary from person to person. Whatever you do, just make sure you're in the right state of mind and in a comfortable environment, no matter which you choose to try first...

Never a good idea to trip your first time in a giant crowd of people. You simply do not know how it will effect you yet, and if you are prone to anxiety, you may find yourself having a horrible experience. And I mean wretched...
Do yourself a favor, your first time is better off with a small group of people, people that you know and trust.. learn how it effects you, then take in a larger setting. You may be thanking yourself.

^ yeah, some of the best trips i've ever had (or most memorable at least - good music played really loud on enormous sound systems is so good on acid, but it's a matter of having to put up and deal with a whole lot of awkward crap just to experience that sensory-overdriven bliss - things like dealing with drunks, and public toilets can be disorienting and unpleasant.
i remember tripping really hard at this festival with lots of great bands, but lining up to pee and finding myself with liike a dozen other dudes, all peeing into this big trough.
it was creepy and awkward and i didn't quite know how to conduct myself in a nnormal way - and i was a really experienced tripper by this point.

if someone's never tripped before,i think a festival is just too much to deal with.
i find things like paying for food (just the concept of exchanging money for goods or services) really confusing on acid.
i lose a lot of my basic day-to-day functioning skills, which are temporarily replaced by a totally different outlook on the world.
it's best to explore those sorts of states in a controlled environment, without interacting with strangers, avoiding danger, and remembering to look after yourself.
just things like staying hydrated or remembering to take steps not to get suburn/heat stroke become too much at times (especiallt for first timers!) so being at a festival runs a risk that something bad could happen to you.
which would suck anyway (falling down into a ditch, losing your wallet or getting super sunburned) but would be extra hellish on the tail end of an acid trip. it's too easy to 'lose your shit' literally and figuratively. then you run the risk of panic - and there you have a bad trip.

if you've never tripped before, i think you need to test your reaction to the drug before you take it into a public place.
i'm pretty good at holding it together no matter how affected i am by psychedelics - but i have had experiences like running into a woman i worked with who was about twice my age, and i got really paranoid i'd have to talk to her, so my friend and i bailed out of that gig as soon as it was over so we wouldn't run into her (my friend worked with her too).

we left the venue and found somewhere quiet to sit and talk (not that either of us could really string a sentence together!) - not realising that we'd sat in a spot where a group of homeless people were congregating and drinking or sleeping or doing whatever they were doing - and we suddenly felt really confused and out of our depth, out of place.
we went back into the place where the gig had been, which was open til the wee hours for people to hang out and dance and drink and whatnot - it was a really cool outdoor 'pop-up' venue down by the river on a warm summer evening. it later transpired that the work colleague we saw was really cool (of course she was, it was a yo la tengo show) and i ended up telling her years later about the night we were tripping and saw her, but freaked out and bailed.
it was all fine in the end - but i'd been taking acid in all sorts of different environments for like 10 years by this point.
if i was a first-timer i may have panicked about not having a safe refuge to go hide in (we ended up walking back to my apartment that night, but even doing that would have been super challenging on a saturday night in the city with the streets full of drunk people having a night out (i find drunk people really hard to handle - or just super irritating - on psychedelics).

when i was way younger, i dropped acid with a bunch of friends in a club, and some of the group hadn't tripped before.
even in that environment - a small nightclub we all were familiar with, because we went there most weekends) one of the people got totally overwhelmed and had to leave.
i know lots of trippers who refuse to leave the house on psychs, whereas i love going to festivals with a head full of acid!
it's still challenging though, even though i've done that a lot. it's not recommended for a first trip.

i'd recommend sitting with a close friend or two in a comfortable room with minimal distractions (like random people showing up that you have to 'act straight' around) with some music, and maybe some fruit to nibble on (to enjoy the heightened sensory perception).
that's all you need. much more stimulation than that can sometimes be hard to deal with.

hell, even crossing the street can be difficult. i was walking back from another gig in the same outdoor concert venue i mention above ^ -and i managed to get lost on my own street, in a part of it i'd literally walked down hundreds of times.
i had no idea where i was - on a street i'd lived on for something like 5 years.

i love tripping, but i learned that you really have to respect psychedelics. they can really do a number on you if you're too blasé about where, when and how much you take. and who you do it with, of course.

Everyone is different and there is no way of knowing how you'll react to one or the other. Personally, I have a very high anxiety level and the two times I did shrooms were truly awful experiences. Terrifying. But for whatever reason, I have done LSD dozens and dozens of times and never had a bad experience. It has always been pleasant and not aggravated my anxiety in the slightest bit.

I find shrooms to be much more overpowering; I feel much more "in control" on LSD. But again, this will vary from person to person. Whatever you do, just make sure you're in the right state of mind and in a comfortable environment, no matter which you choose to try first...
This has to do a lot with the dopamine activity. It's like with mushrooms it is more difficult to make a choice while going through a bad experience as it doesn't mean it will cause a trigger to a dopamine reward effect while LSD dopamine is getting activated whether or not you make a right choice. Basically both can bring don't, but mushrooms leads you to doubt your actions moreso than one would Lsd while neither is closer to a sober decision. Both have their own application, but a festival drug is definitely not what it is first vs something like Molly that's known as a social compound

I started with shrooms but i always puke on shrooms. I wish i could of tried lsd first. Some real clean fluff or lavender.
REMEMBER. If it has a VERY nasty taste It IS NOT Lsd .It is an RC. Those r fun but can b fatal.

I first started with shrooms and experienced multiple types of trips. Personally for me shrooms takes control of my mind and can take me on an emotional roller coaster with insane visuals and each trip takes me on a different journey. Acid isn't as extreme in my opinion as it seems a bit more visual. If I could go back in time I would definitely have tried acid first.

I'll say I am happy I did mushrooms first and I did it outdoor with my sitters watching 5 little kids as well as myself then we all split and two of them took 3 and me and 2 others were left with 2 while I trusted them to take me around the city...... I had no control over the top, but just went with it. While I wish it could have been in a place where I could've been free to have fun and enjoy myself I still enjoyed being in total awe of the experience from sitting with my friends staring at the ever changing scene before my eyes as they all continued whatever around me collapsed in the middle of a very famous playground next to a famous hill where I got the shrooms up to the point I was with my head down thinking of the mysteries of life something why my right arm felt like it switched places with my stomach and vice versa only to hear someone ask my friends if their buddy was OK as I looked up to tell them yea just tired only to see it's a cop then to go back resting only to raise my head later to see the cop in the opposite corner table of the two rows that made a rectangle as he ate watching everything around him move while he seemed to kind of eye me motionless and even making me realize how amazing the interactions are between someone younger while through the whole day thinking of nothing, but my experience and around people asking how I'm doing for a kid to be aware yet so oblivious he does not realize just how entertaining a discuss about what doritos are better cool ranch or nacho cheese being so retro, or did he know how entertaining it was more so than myself? How could that be something one forgets? All while earlier being in shock when being asked to carry one of them on my shoulders feeling humble to be asked to be trusted not to drop a child and help make their day better even though it's my first time on an eighth of quite potent shrooms probably the most potent of my life I'm probably lucky I took an hour to eat. So as you can see even in an uncontrolled environment it can go well, but it takes having a lot of precautions like sober experienced people. As well as shrooms can be a very good choice for a first expedience.