• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Is it possible to maintain the weekend warrior approach?

I don't think that there is any inherent evil in drug use or addiction. Society is what demoizes illicit drug use. Before the criminilazing of drug use in the western world over a century ago, men and women were free to indulge and kill themselves with drugs of their own accord, which is how it should be. Ethanol and Nicotine are still legal after all...

With that said, the same decision that you have come to in forgoing the feelings of society, your friends and family and in some cases your own health is a big deal isn't it? If you're willing to say fuck it to all of that and try hard drugs, don't you think you will most likely lack the self-control necessary to maintain your habits as only "weekend" material? Again, I don't feel there is inherent evil in the use of drugs, but our decision to use these types of substances are not to be taken lightly. We cross many boundaries when we choose to partake in these desires.
Exactly... Alcohol is the worst of em all, causes the most violence and death by far. Yet people turn up their noses at drug addicts like we're the scum of the earth, then they sit back everynight, drink a 12 pack of Budweiser and beat their wives. You also gotta remember, most all cops and prison guards would lose their jobs if drugs were legal, that's why it'll never happen.

lol that isnt chipping my friend, not even close..most addicts could go on methadone and then only use heroin on the weekends and skip their methadone dose..we are talking about people not on opiod maintenance...an entirely different ballgame then..
Yeah I know it was mostly a joke..

I have never known anyone who could keep H/oxy/morphine/dilaudid/etc etc to a weekend schedule for long. As others have said, physical and psychological dependance kick in pretty quickly. And once a person realizes that they feel kinda shitty without opiates, it's usually pretty easy to justify daily use...

It would be really nice if it were different, but I seriously don't know one opiate user who was able to live the dream of chipping for too long.

When I was into pharm opiates I would take them on weekends and no more than 3 times in a month at the most. Then I would go for long periods where I did not take them. Eventually I stopped taking them completely because I did not like how during the come down I would have bad stomach cramps, and I did not like how I couldn't drink on them-I know people do drink on low doses of pharm opiates but I never combined the two and would just sometimes smoke cannabis while on them, and I took low doses like 5-10mg of oxy or hydro. I never got into heroin since I saw what happened to friends of mine. I can see how people do very quickly become addicted both psychologically and physically to opiates.

I'm very lucky I did not get addicted, and that's because I didn't have unlimited access to them, and I was way more into cannabis and other psychedelics at the time.

But people I know who did have unlimited access to opiates and thought they could take them on weekends, or do this with coke became quickly addicted to both.

Australian data says that one in five people who try heroin will become dependent on it. That makes it one of the most addictive substances yet to be evaluated in this sense.

Still, though... we know very little about the other 80% of people who try it. We don't know how often they use, or how many times they try it, or whether they maintain recreational habits, or whether they 'chip' without becoming dependent.

At the very least, we know that it's demonstrably untrue that it's impossible to use heroin without developing a dependency. We just can't extrapolate any hints on how to go about it.