• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Is it possible to maintain the weekend warrior approach?

kurups

Bluelighter
I'm just curious how many of you (if any) have been able to be casual heroin users? Like how alcoholics refer to normal drinking as "Drinking like a gentleman"

Can one use heroin like a gentleman for a sustained period of time? Or is it damn near inevitable that you will up the frequency of use. Have you ever known anyone to use heroin 'like a gentleman' ? And if so what is it that makes one person capable of using a substance (opiates specifically) in moderation wheras other seem to be completely incapable of not redosing more and more often.

Do you think it's entirely self-will? I'm not sure it is i really do think there might be a serious genetic factor in addiction, even if they haven't found such a gene (or have they...)

Are there any tips & tricks to moderating your use? I personally had to move away from Los Angeles to Hawaii in order to quit heroin (I've gone a little over a year now without touching it, though i do make poppy seed tea on occasion - though it's honestly very very weak)

I don't think it has anything to do with self-will.

And while pain patients are occasionally able to use their medication without becoming addicted (though they often become dependent), heroin produces too strong of cravings to be used recreationally. And anyone who is seeking out heroin in the first place is unlikely to use it moderately, imo.

You may chip successfully for years, though those people are few and far between. But it's usually just a matter of time.

Heroin is just like any other drug in that different users can and do have different patterns of use. So yes, there are "functioning addicts" out there. It's obviously a highly addictive drug but becoming a full blown addict is dependent on a number of factors and is not inevitable with any drug, heroin included.

And while pain patients are occasionally able to use their medication without becoming addicted (though they often become dependent), heroin produces too strong of cravings to be used recreationally. And anyone who is seeking out heroin in the first place is unlikely to use it moderately, imo.

You may chip successfully for years, though those people are few and far between. But it's usually just a matter of time.

Assuming you aren't shooting it, but in comparison with equivalent doses of other pharmaceuticals, I wouldn't imply that heroin is a far-cry away as far as the strength of the cravings.

It's possibley yes, but it will take will power... When I first started I was a 'weekend warrior' with Hydrocodone/Oxycodone or Methadone(ha, like wtf that was a jump from taking 50mg of hydrocodone to methadone, but when low on cash the Methadone was much cheaper, would take 25mg of it, it wasn't as euphoric at all as Hydro's or Oxy, just cheaper.) Then when I moved I had no connects and then discovered pods(I had been going crazy with no opiates at all) when they were everywhere on Ebay and other sites very cheaply..started off as weekend warrior with those, but caught my first habbit with them, what started off on just the weekends turned into most of the week, didn't realize I caught an acutal habbit till I was completely out and started to go through w/d's because they seem to have a long-half..then I got back on pills again and that was that, have been on Subs for a year and half now...anyway all I'm saying is it's possible, but it will take strong will power and don't start making exuses to use during the week,thats what happened to me..I was going through a really bad deppresion at the time though so defineanly dont start doing the weekend warrior thing if that's what going on, it was torture at first because I would spend the whole week just looking forward to the weekend,because I was just misreable all the time, then I was like fuck it, makes me happy so I'll just do it all the time. So just be careful because heroin is even better than the shit I was doing I suppose,lol.

Even if you can, I did for a couple years- and you still develop a pretty serious tolerance taking it every weekend AND you eventually start suffering WDs throughout the working week too.

Back when I was much younger, before I made this BL account, like around 2000-2005, I was much more into party drugs, back then I used to take heroin maybe 4-5 times a year and never thought about it otherwise.. But eventually I got a bit older and wasn't into partying all the time, I still used to IV a lot of meth, but that shit fucks your life, so eventually I gave that up and around that point, heroin got the better of me.

I guess what I am saying is - if you've got an addictive personality and get addicted to drugs easily, you still may not get addicted to heroin if it's not your thing.. like if you're happy banging coke every day for example, you might not crave the smack.. But.. meh..

All that said - I've known quite a few people to have taken heroin a few times and never thought all that much about it again, but they weren't drug addicts either, just.. well, adventurous people.

yes it's quite interesting that my mother, who has scoliosis, has taken her prescribed amount of hydrocodone every day for 30 years but has not once abused it or taken more than prescribed (which for her pain level in MY opinion is not much... 20mg or something a day)

yet i was hooked from the moment i took my first norco? From then on out i kept increasing the dosage & then moving to stronger opiates...

strange being that i'm her direct blood line yet we took to them totally differently, perhaps its because she NEEDS them? who knows!

Pain meds for people who are actually in pain all the time just makes them feel (somewhat) normal...my dad for example has serious back problems but has never abused the Percocet 10's he's prescribed.

I know what's at the bottom of the rabbit hole - I've been there before. Even with that knowledge I can only make it a few months before falling back into a pattern. I can pick up and put down any other class of drug whether it be stimulants, benzos, alcohol, etcetera but opioids will take your sense of self-will and flush it down the toilet.

I've met two types of people: those who love opiates and those that don't (the latter being a 1% minority) and they can be classed respectively as those that are prone to opiate addiction and those that aren't.

for people who snort heroin it is possible to use recreationally. I known a few people actually who had their little phase of doing dope i mean sniffing it every day, feinding for it and eventually going through some mild withdrawals, but this use only lasts for a few months at most these people never moving on to the needle and then occasionally months after their heroin phase sure they will sniff a bag or two on occasion. but for people who move onto IV use theres now way to achieve recreational use with shooting dope. just no way. the needle is a new addiction itself.

The biggest tip i could give is to only use it when your happy and not depressed/sad/etc. and dont use every weekend. Take every other month off completely. Dont use two days in a row. Dont use mulyiple times a day.

Not saying thats fool proof but if you really want heroin thats the miniimuim effort id put in.

im shocked that people on here think it is possible to use heroin only on the weekends for long spans of time without running into problems..every heroin story starts out the same, person starts using heroin 'only' on friday nights, and they stay the course for a few weeks, maybe months and then it slips into saturday nights as well..they keep this up for a few months and then take a little on sunday too but they swear this is it, no more..problem is, after they do this for awhile they notice on monday and tuesday they dont feel quite right..they feel uncomfortable, maybe a little anxious or depresssed..now maybe 1-2% of people are able to shut it down and stop using at this point bhut most go on to start using through the week to avoid this crappy feeling and this leads to full blown addiction..

i dont know of anyone that has successfully used heroin just on the weekends and been able to keep this schedule for years..i have always heard tall tales of the elusive heroin chipper but i have yet to meet a person that can do it..

I have never known anyone who could keep H/oxy/morphine/dilaudid/etc etc to a weekend schedule for long. As others have said, physical and psychological dependance kick in pretty quickly. And once a person realizes that they feel kinda shitty without opiates, it's usually pretty easy to justify daily use...

It would be really nice if it were different, but I seriously don't know one opiate user who was able to live the dream of chipping for too long.

Yes it is possible...with Suboxone. With a script of subs you can use heroin here and there, no problem.

I don't think that there is any inherent evil in drug use or addiction. Society is what demoizes illicit drug use. Before the criminilazing of drug use in the western world over a century ago, men and women were free to indulge and kill themselves with drugs of their own accord, which is how it should be. Ethanol and Nicotine are still legal after all...

With that said, the same decision that you have come to in forgoing the feelings of society, your friends and family and in some cases your own health is a big deal isn't it? If you're willing to say fuck it to all of that and try hard drugs, don't you think you will most likely lack the self-control necessary to maintain your habits as only "weekend" material? Again, I don't feel there is inherent evil in the use of drugs, but our decision to use these types of substances are not to be taken lightly. We cross many boundaries when we choose to partake in these desires.

You could but not the weekend warrior ie: "every weekend from now on" approach. You could even do it through out the week as long as you don't do it more than 3-4 days in a row and take a few weeks break to a month or more break every month or so. My cycle usually is heroin 0.15-0.2g a day smoked (of some strong and clean mexican tar) spend a day where i let my body regulate itself not touching anything except excess weed and alcohol, then the next day when I wake up and usually feel like I can't think straight ("adrenergic storm" of mild opiate w/d's) I take 1 0.150mg clonidine (we can get without a script where i live) every 4-6 hours or as needed. Around this day and consecutive days I usually smoke a bunch of meth, and drink alot of alcohol. Also I like to pop a few valiums or xanax through this period (not a good idea to pop them during when im doing the heroin). By 3-4 days after taking the break from the h and doing the excess meth/weed/alch/etc at this point i get a good day of sleep then I go back to touching the black tar. So you could say my true vices are alcohol and meth honestly, but I love to touch the black tar as well - however I know how strong it's bite is (have been on it for 4 months and then on subs for 6 months and had almost 1.5 years clean with intermittendt use until recently) so I think this goes in cycles and eventually it gets easier.

And anyone who is seeking out heroin in the first place is unlikely to use it moderately, imo.

This... With the stigma of heroin (and similar opioids) in modern society what it is, those who seek it out or progress to it are more than often those who are trying to self medicate some aspect of their life. For this reason, the generally small segment of the population that experiments with it do not represent a representative sample. Those who are inclined to actually find hard opiates aren't the type who generally have the "weekend warrior" mindset. But this is only based upon my experience in America. In certain European and Southeast Asian countries, where heroin use was less taboo, there seemed to be a significantly higher percentage of occasional users ime.

Idk, opiate addiction is an enigma. It would be very interesting to see an experiment in which a representative sample of the adult population was exposed to the effects of heroin with no preexisting bias and studied over a decade long period to see how many and which type fell into patterns of abuse. Of course this will probably never happen due to possible harm to the participants. Sometimes I sit and wonder if opiate legalization would really be a good thing for society.

Anyhoww, sorry to ramble. I would say yes, but only if you are extremely satisfied with your unmedicated life and are stable in that satisfaction.

Yes it is possible...with Suboxone. With a script of subs you can use heroin here and there, no problem.

lol that isnt chipping my friend, not even close..most addicts could go on methadone and then only use heroin on the weekends and skip their methadone dose..we are talking about people not on opiod maintenance...an entirely different ballgame then..