• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Is it possible to get my opioid tolerance back to a manageable level

Yeah i hear u on that front. Then again, after ten years of using heroin and the past two years of pharms, even after extended bouts of forced cleantime in jail and prison i still hit the streets and would be able to run through amounts i shouldnt have been able to. The side effects are long gone. Things like not being able to get ur rocks off, and itching, and throwing up are looooong gone. I do concur most definitely, but i know one thig i will never chase dope again. Now that im able to get scripted any pharms i want in the doses i choose within reason, and have medicaid pay for the dr and the meds.... Shit im not chasing a 2-400 a day habit eveeeeer again. Chasing that habit was what finally landed me in prison all last year. Its a bitch having to rob and steal and burglarize peoples shit to get high. Its a full time job and i wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy

It won't be a miracle but you should look into supplements E.g Amino Acids/Herbs/Vitamins/Minerals, some of which are quite effective, like:

*DLPA = A 50/50 ratio of Dextro- and Levo-Phenylalanine (D-PA is one of the few amino acids that can be utilized in its dextro isomer form)
-The LPA is a precursor to Tyrosine, which is a precursor to Neurotransmitters, and increases the plasma Neurotransmitter levels, like Dopamine ('Feel Good' Neurotransmitter) and Norepinephrine (= noradrenaline, works alongside epinephrine (= adrenaline) to give the body sudden energy in times of stress).
-The DPA is the bit that will help the most though. I don't know enough about how it works yet so I'll just paraphrase what's written on the back of the bottle I have at home.. "DPA inhibits the action of enzymes that break down Endorphins and Enkaphalins (the cosy endogenous pain-killing proteins that bind to opioid receptor sites in the brain). By inhibiting these enzymes, DPA may extend the life of Endorphins and Enkaphalins and their positive influence on comfort levels"
So basically after taking around 1000-2000mg on an empty stomach for a few weeks (not sure if it works straight away) you'll have more endorphins/enkaphalins floating around, and when opiates are ingested and more endorphins/enkaphalins are released, they will hang around for longer. Basically potentiates a bit and boosts duration apparently a great deal. I have just ran out after taking for around 4 weeks and am awaiting a new bottle in the mail, the good thing is once you've taken it for a while it doesn't stop working the moment you run out, e.g. people say they notice the potentiation for around a month after stopping.

*Nigella Sativa oil/seeds = The oil works the best just for convenience and potency, but apparently the seeds are like 50% oil by weight anyway. If you order a good brand off internet auction sites, you will definately notice an increase in effect of your opiate of choice after having a swig of this oil.. most people recommend starting with 1-2tsp at first, some say it worked so well they nodded out/puked etc off their normal dose.. again they could be the lucky few, but I find Nigella Sativa oil (from a quality source) really does potentiate well, as there is genuine opioid agonists contained within (e.g. Thymaquinone, etc.)

*Enzyme Inducers like - {Cimetadine = 'Tagamet', Grapefruit Juice, Quinine etc.} - Too many threads about ol' favourites like these already so I won't elaborate.

*Sedating Antihistamines like Diphenhydramine, Promethazine, etc. can add a bit of warmth and sedation, I don't really use them myself.

*Bacopa Monnieri = 'Brahmi' - This stuff I have in a herbal combo capsule with:
-3000mg Bacopa Extract, and
-3000mg Gingko Biloba Extract.
I have noticed when I take a tablet of this in the morning, I can halve my oxycodone (legally prescribed) dosage for the morning and still need a coffee to stop me nodding off in class.. plus the gingko/brahmi mixture boosts my brain-power without a doubt, definately feel the benefit from this stuff, however subtle it may be.
-Gotu Kola would be a good adjunct to this mix.

* Many other herbs I don't have much experience with, yet have heard a few reports of increased effects, whether due to enzyme inhibition/induction or synergism.. such as
-Milk Thistle (I didn't notice a difference personally but my product wasn't the best quality by any standards..)
-Kava Kava (Good benzo alternative)
-Non-recreational-yet-sedating herbs like Valerian, Hops, Passionflower (beware mild MAOI properties), Chamomile, Lemon Balm, Skullcap, Californian Poppy, and many, many more

*NMDA Antagonists like
-DXM (= Dextro-Methorphan) - Lots of good info about this on Bluelight and other sites
-Ketamine, memantine etc.
-Magnesium is actually an NMDA Antagonist and is also just great for relieving mild anxiety/muscle cramps etc.
Most persons addicted to any drug (opiates, ciggerettes, coffee, meth, etc) is probably deficient in this vital mineral, always worth having a GOOD Magnesium supplement in the cupboard (Note- Don't buy a badly-absorbed form like Mag-Oxide or the like, go for a Chelated form or something like Mag Citrate, powders like "Muscle-Eze" normally have a bunch of other useful things like Glutamine, Vit B's, etc.

*Certain other Amino Acids can help, I don't know enough to elaborate though..

*If LEGAL in your Area - Cannabis always boosts people's analgesia and general body stone a GREAT DEAL

There's probably many more things I could write if it wasn't 2:08 in the morning here in Kiama.
This is just meant to be the tip of the iceberg, thought I'd help you out cos although I'm probably much younger than you and certainly don't have anywhere near as large a tolerance, I know how hard it is to keep tolerance from rising, etc.

Peace man, if you have any questions just ask, there should be someone on this great useful site that knows the answer.

Last edited:
TommyBoys right about that too: you pick up right where you left off.

So, even if you were to quit for a YEAR, after a few sessions your tolerance would already be back to where it was before you quit.

Sadly the stuff they teach in rehabs and shit is not bullshit. If only it weren't such, but it is. Your tolerance will skyrocket right back to where it was, and possibly even higher, much more rapidly (in a tiny fraction of the original time it took).

Ive actually recently switched to rectal roa because after ten years of iv use i have absolutely no accessible veins left that arent extremely dangerous to use. I have yet to get high this way but it does keep me from getting sick

you need a 2.5cc syringe to shoot 200mg morphine since its 60mg/cc soluble in water.... as for loweing tolerance, also there is discutions about taking very small dose of nalaxone or naltrexone (can't remember which one), that taken combined with your opiate ssupposedely reduces tolerance... but i don't know how much truth there is for that allegation, but its worth looking into), i remember reading about a couple of other things that reduce tolerance opiate yolerance but can't remember, i'm sure if you look on google....

the other option is to slowly taper down, stay at a lower dose for while, and then go back to plugging your full dose... but if you're in cronic pain i suppose you can't realy reduce your opiate tolerance, because you ned that dosage for the pain, so its pretty tricky,

sorry to not be of much help

as for loweing tolerance, also there is discutions about taking very small dose of nalaxone or naltrexone (can't remember which one), that taken combined with your opiate ssupposedely reduces tolerance...

you can't take naloxone or naltrexone with opiates, as they're both opioid antagonists. they would instantly put you in withdrawal, very painfully. however if you can get clean/through withdrawal and take them they are supposed to reduce your tolerance.

i'm surprised no one has mentioned Ibogaine, difficult to obtain but it gets you through withdrawal and is supposed to reset addiction/tolerance. it is psychedelic though so you have to be comfortable with a long trip.

ibogaine is a pretty interesting option. ive had several friends that have done it but have never personally tried that shit

Yes, but it's TOUGH, at least for me. What happens in my case is that there is a direct correllation between my cash flow supply and my ability to keep tolerance low. Basically I do it when sort of forced to out of necessity. Large influx of cash and any low tolerance seems to get de-prioritized extremely quickly. From what I understand 'social' users don't have this problem. LIke with me and alcohol, I have no tolerance and the ability to have as much as I want as I dont' crave it at all.

Kind of like with milk or lemonade, but even less so. With those I sometimes get an urge to splurge and drink a couple gallons in a couple days every few months. I don't even have that issue with alcohol. Never get the urge to spluge.

With something I have an addition to, the urge is sort of always there to one degree or another, stress can trigger greater urges, limited cash will keep it in check. With or without stress inducer, if a few K or more lands in my lap it seems to put me on auto piolet to getting whatever drug it is I have a strong affinity for and tolerance shoots through the roof within a couple of days.

Various forms of therapy (AA, self analysis, etc, etc improving myself emotionally, etc) worked to move me from being a very heavy alcohol abuser to a non user to a light social user (over a period of 15 years with the first 5 being abstinance with heavy 'therapy' (actually I did self analysis, etc even before tackling the alcohol abuse).

With coke when I was into that, forget it, too powerful for me. I quit and then used a cpl years later on weekends but had a family I had to hide it from so that is what kept it in check to a degree. With opiates same thing. But opiate use is easier to hide than coke use for me at least, so throw some money at me and notions of controlled use go out the window with the exception of not wanting to be seen nodding on the job or at home. Otherwise it will be grams per day, every day, if the cashflow is there.

Is that the same for everyone? Are there folks here that haven't used their drug of choice for a month or 3 and say 10K falls in their lap and they don;t go get some or at least need to take serious steps to intervene or have help to stay away? Kind of like how it is with me an alcohol now???

Titus welcome back, it seems like you disappeared for a bit, or am I just tripping?

Titus welcome back, it seems like you disappeared for a bit, or am I just tripping?

Knowing you, it's probably both lol. Yes, I was off the forum for a while. Family and work eats up soo much of my time.

I'm surprised u can even get high...when I was using 1.2 grams of oxy per day (15 x 80mg) the best I could hope for was to feel slightly better than normal NO MATTER HOW BIG A DOSE I TOOK. At that level of tolerance, I just stopped getting that euphoric high.

Its the reason why my tolerance shot up in the first place---my tolerance was high from being on suboxone, and then I started taking bigger and bigger doses hoping I'd actually feel high, but it never happened. Here are the effects I could feel from opiates @ that time:

-w/d from not taking enough
-normal from my maintanance doses
-slightly happy, only from the first dose of the day, but never nody euphoria
-nodding asleep--but without euphoria

Whenever I tried taking a big enough dose I thought would get me blissfully nodding, I'd just end up passing out. I'd skip nodding and just pass out cold

IMO b/c ur brain is flooded w/ so much opaite 24/7 just to feel normal, taking even double oor triple ur usual dose won't get you high, b/c your brain is always high in its normal state!

All you can do it taper down to a more normal level and take a little more to get high.

or just taper down/quit completly, wait a few weeks and you will be able to take 20 mgs of oxy again and actually get high.

you know what has to be done. im typing this on 80 mgs of valium and i dont feel shit. we both just need to taper.

I too have been an opioid (not opiate because I could have cared less if it was from a poppy or a laboratory!!!) addict for years and years...have a pretty high tolerance but not what you're talking about. I can hear/feel that pain and longing in your posts. Like many have said you can get your tolerance down but when you do you better enjoy the 2-4 next rushes, nods and euphoria because your tolerance will go back up to where it was very quickly. You say you'll never 'chase' drugs again and I understand what you mean but I think there are other ways of chasing drugs than...chasing down the $ for drugs. I think that's what addicts are...they crave, think about, remember, dream about that feeling...right when the opiate crosses the blood-brain barrier. The taste in the back of your mouth and the thought "Ah...there it is...." are two of the things my brain still 'chases!!!' I think you're always going to 'chase' drugs...street or pharma...maybe not the money, but the rush, etc.. I have heard good things about Imogaine (though most of it has been in trying to kick the addiction part of drug use...not usually how can I get my tolerance down to a level that I can get properly high again!!!) Trust me I'm not judging you...actually it sort of scares me how well I understand what your saying. Just reading the posts made me crave that nod!!! I know you're in a lot of pain. Seems to me that if they need to prescribe you that much morphine, rosy or what not..they might consider using some other medications that are being pretty widely used anymore....ketamine, fentanyl (very powerful in very small doses....easy OD even for the professional addict!!!). Also not every opioid has the same pharmacological response. Some opioids bind with some types of neurological receptors while other opioids bind with other types of receptors. Which receptors they bind with is what eventually produces the effects of that particular opioid. Maybe your pain management folks need to have you on one specific opioid for a week and then switch to a different opioid (theat hits different receptors the next week!?!?! Just a thought.... Also some opioids are agonists while others are antagonists which also determines how or where they bond in you neurological system. Switching between the type of opioid might be beneficial to your goal. As well as the actual analgesia you receive from the medication. I wish you all the luck and happiness in the world...I really feel for you and hope you find what you're looking for!!! I do know ion my life 100 mg of morphine would not have been enough but then neither would 100,000 mg of moraine because I would have just sat there and consumed then to the same end result....they were gone!!! Oh yeah...as far as your veins....have you heard of vacutainers??? Peace!