Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Is it for the Drugs or the Music?

Special-T.B.K

Bluelighter
Hello Everybody.

I have read over and over, an I know I have said some inappropriate things and worded my posts in correctly but it seems that alot of people here are either plain ignorant or just do not care about their state-of-mind or their bodies. Iam hoping they are just plain ignorant!

It seems to me that alot of people just go to an event because there are drugs, sure drugs are great fun an all. But it seems to me that no-one thinks twice, they just think it's okay to have 8 pills in an evening etc...

Now comes the question in topic...

Do you go to Raves/Clubs/Parties for the music or do you go for the drugs.

Alot of people speak like they could not dance without taking something or they would not have fun attending one of these events without taking drugs. Which I feel is completely out of line, the reason you should be there is to admire the musical talents of the DJ's and Artists, not just so that you can take copius amounts of drugs.

Sure I take drugs at most events I attend, but I do however go to alot of them straight... on nothing and I feel I have just as much fun straight as I do while Iam on Drugs. All the drugs do for me is enhance the experience...

Like painting a car bright lime green yellow when it was baby-poo brown...

I do enjoy taking drugs and I do enjoy raves, but I attend them to have a good time listening for the cutting and selecting in-fading and cross-fading in the mix. I listen to the music. For me it's 75% the music 25% the drugs... (if im on drugs) (i will not cancel my weekend because I can't get on, I will go and save money in the process, however I know alot of people who won't go because they can't get on etc..)

It just seems that alot of people are seeing drugs (mainly MDMA) as being *cool* or *in* things like that and they come along completely un-educated crapping on to me about how much they know about E. All the risks involved and all this, but once I mention a few Adulterants and ask them questions about MDMA (to my suprise8) NOT) they do not know what on earth Iam talking about!

It is a culture... but it is a culture that I for one do not wish destroyed because some teeny-boppers decide to come along thinking they know it all and spoiling all the fun for us, the people that do enjoy the music/do not wish to be *seen* or to be *cool*.

Raves were once a place of peace and harmony a place of enjoyment where very rarely I would see any acts of destruction or violence. I can now see it being destroyed by the crowds *trying to be COOL*

Stick to the scene that you know! PLEASE, FOR THE SAKE OF THE MUSIC!!!

SpecTBK =D

Last edited:
Well, some of my mates only go to raves because of the drugs.

I like the music at raves, but I do admit I like getting smacked out too.

First rave I went to was mostly to try my first pill and be at my first rave. I definately enjoyed the music and the pill.

Second rave I went to I was determined to enjoy the music and experience the music more. Which I did, but got totally smacked out in the process.

For me it's 50/50 really.

If you're talking about drugs in general, then there's probably some drugs that lend themselves well to the noise and lights and crowd aspect of a large social event... the setting plays a big part in the enjoyment of the drugs. Some drugs on the other hand do not go over very well in that kind of environment and are much better at home or in a setting that isn't hot, crowded or overloading the altered senses.

Do 'raves' exist because of drugs? Maybe not originally, but the cultures have merged considerably to the point that for many people they are inseparable. There is no rave without the rave drug, no dance without the dance drug, no sleep without the sleep drug... Perhaps the people evolve too - maybe one used to be in it for the music, but got into drugs eventually and they took over. Or vice versa... maybe another found both at the same time and got over them at the same time too... as sure as one honeymoon ends another begins, but it was always WAY better back in the oldskool days before all the nuskool tweakers turned up and ruined everything ;) that's a given. (Mostly because nobody can prove you wrong if you're talking about drugs that they will never have an opportunity to try).

BigTrancer :)

Well, first i would have to say i would go 50/50
but yea i like the music when im straight,
but man when your rollin of head you can feel the music right through your body, you put your arms out, close your eyes, tilt your head back, and you are in ecstasy=D

just my 2c ;)

If it is only 25% about the drugs then you are not getting the right drugs! I wouldnt put my body through it for only a 25% gain!=D

WOW! Great thread! T.B.K's got a brain!!! I have never taken anything at a rave, club or BDO!! My friend is also that way! He believes its all about the music. & i think that when ur there, & the music's so fucking loud, That it gets in your veins anyways! Then we dance the hit out of the place! People always go "i cant beleieve your not on anything!" :)

Personally i dont care whether people go for the music or the drugs. I say do what makes you happy.. i dont think any less of people who go for the drugs than people who go for the music.. and i dont think anyone should think they are superior because they go for the music.. and do it straight.

i love the music.. its in my car.. in my stereo at home.. on my computer.. but when i go to parties i take drugs to enhance my experience.

I would hate to find myself in the position where I couldn't have a good time unless I could get on..... that said, those old hippies who say they can get higher on life than they ever could on drugs are simply deluded. I'll make a bold call - MDMA taught me to dance, and to love my body. The e-drenched rave culture that started (for me) in 1988 absolutely changed my life for the better. But I don't need to drop a pill now to have a dance - in fact, people often can't believe I haven't had anything when they see me going off ("like an electric spider" apparently ;) ). It's all about moderation, respecting your limits, loving yourself... hey, maybe I AM an old hippy!!! :)

I now have a much better time at parties straight than altered. I blame this on the drugs not working as well anymore :p but in actuality, it's just that I no longer need the drugs to enhance my social skills and open the doors of perception. I find now that I can go to parties and "trip" on the visuals, the atmosphere etc and it all feels a lot more real and substantial than anything I felt under the influence.

Does this make me a deluded old hippy? Probably. So blend me a mung bean smoothie and I'll see you on the dancefloor.

i go to raves straight and have a good time, but i think certain drugs are just so suited to raves that it enhances it so much. Its an interesting topic, "which came first the rave or the drug?" They both go so well together.

well most of my friends go to raves really just to get messed up.....i on the other hand was listening to dance/electronic music for about 6 yrs before i even popped my first pill and attended my first rave, it is still definitely about the music for me, but having said that, i still attend most raves under the influence of drugs, although i'm starting to take less now rather than more at events.

I got inot psy trance before I had ever taken ecstacy and I have been to plenty of raves where I have been straight and I loved them.
That said, when you seeing your favourite dj (infected mushroom anyone) with a crowd of a couple thousand other people who are all peaking off their heads and so are you then yeah I would say that it is the better experience than being there and being straight.
I love the rave culture, I love the music (listen to psy all the time) and I admit I love the drugs. But I have found that after taking pills at raves i often find myself getting a bit impatient at the big events like I did at earthcore carnival because I know it isn't long till the internationals are performing and I can take my pills, so in that respect drugs have kind of wrecked raves for me a little but enhanced them at the same time. I love chatting to random people at raves, but it is better when your seeing the headliner and your both peaking and having one hell of a good time.
For me both the drugs and the music go hand in hand but I would rather be at a rave straight than be peaking somewhere else that is not a rave. Raves are my favourite place by far to drop because of the people, the lights, the atmosphere and of course the environment.
As for people who are going to raves just because they are into using drugs and not the music, then each to their own, if they have a goodtime thats fine but if they get into the music then it could be the start of something beautiful.
Special TBK: as for comments about tosers who go to raves and dress up in their saint kildas best and act in a pretentious manner well yeah this kind of detracts from what raves are really about and just gives them a commercial flavour which I think is unwelcome and doesn't add anything but expensive fashion. This is obviously the case at parties such as Summerdayz (which is predominately a club crowd) and I could see it happening at earthcore this year (a bit to much von dutch and expensive jeans which is all well and good at a club but pretty stupid at an event where you will be coughing up half a sandpit for a week afterwards)
Anyway I've crapped on for ages, TBK good posts as always mate, keep em coming

You can't stop people from dropping...People will drop in their own homes or to go get their groceries...
I love the music and the show...The drugs are sort of like a bit extra that makes your night heaps better...I love E's but I like to think that the E enhances the rave, not the rave enhances the E...if that makes any sense?

I don't try and know anything about E's - I know I don't know much apart from they make me feel heaps good...I'm an ignorant dropper but I try and not talk to anyone about MDMA unless its to tell them what it is and how Im faring on it...

We all have a know-it-all moments at some points though TBK...Just tell them they're an idiot and to look after themselves =D

well i just went to my first rave last weekend, and im already a jaded mofo from eating bulk pills at home with my mates, so the only reason i go is to dance and enjoy the music.

but i dont have that anti drug attitude... if people want to go to a rave just to get fucked up, then good on em. everyone is at a different stage in life and when the drugs loose their shine they will either leave the scene and start playing golf or start to enjoy the music sober and keep raving but stop taking drugs.

i actually prefer to dance after only a few drinks rather than drugged up, as you have the control over your mood and physical state not the drugs. i hate dancing to a song i hate just because im coming up and want to move!! and its even worse when you cant dance to song you love because your coming down or have jelly legs.

so yeah maybe its because im from the hills but load up that esky bro and bring on the music!

*edit* i got my first "your not on anything... wow nice dancing" props last weekend... makes you feel on cloud nine doesnt it :) :)

Last edited:
I consume drugs for the drugs.

I go to events with drugs to enhance my entertainment.

I go to some events sober for the music/artist/event

its all about the music and the people...its just that sometimes the people and the music means those things end up in your mouth (pills i mean :\ and other drugs etc) but yeh I go out straight and sober heaps just to see DJ's and have wicked nights...being around ppl off their heads when ur sober can be quite alot of fun =D

When you go to parties straight you actually pick up on the energy of those around you, which i believe is more than just a cognitive thing. The cognitive element of association does definatly ad to the phenonomon, but it's not the whole picture. By this association i mean that by being in that environment on drugs in the past your brain takes in the energy you feel, and that part of this energy can be unlocked through being in a simular enviroment (ie music, people, atmosphere).

But yeh at raves straight i feel tuned into an ampetamine energy......

at bush doofs i feel tuned into a psychedelic energy.... i've taken this one really far, especially in the morning at doofs, feeling energy which i believe is more than just a projection of my own world.

quite amazing phenomonon really :)

Last edited: