• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Is GHB good for dealing with opioid withdrawals?

CrimpJiggler

Bluelighter
I have heard that benzos are lifesavers when it comes to easing opioid withdrawal symptoms. Benzos act primarily on GABA A receptors. GHB on the other hand is an agonist of GABA B receptors as well as the GHB receptor (named after the drug because it was GHB that revealed its existence). Enough armchair pharmacology though, has anyone here tried GHB while enduring an opioid withdrawal?

I'm going to move this to OD as it would be better suited there.. but please feel free to start a thread in TDS if you want some support during your withdrawal, or check out the opiate addiction megathread found in the TDS directory in my signature :)

TDS > OD

I'm not 100% positive on this because I've experienced neither GHB nor opioid withdrawal, so feel free to correct me on this, and any input is appreciated.

I have heard a few testimonies that seem to suggest that GHB is a very good medication for opioid withdrawals, but reports are few and far between. In rare cases GHB is used to treat alcoholism and alcohol withdrawals, so it might have some utility as a counter to some of the more unpleasant effects of opioid withdrawal, specifically the tremors, cramps, anxiety, and insomnia.

However, opioid withdrawal also can cause dizziness, vomiting, and nausea, all of which are side effects of GHB use. I haven't heard about any of this being a problem for anybody as of yet, but it's something to keep in mind.

I posted earlier and I'm not sure if I got purposely deleted or if it was just an error. Anyway, I don't think GHB would be very effective to treat opioid withdrawal, that is if GHB is similar to GBL, which is what I've used. GBL which metabolizes into GHB, feels kind of like to alchohol what crack is to cocaine. It's shorter acting and IMO more pleasant. But it can make you very dizzy and nauseous, and it also only lasts an hour max

In my experience, GBL can help a lot with the less acute symptoms, like depression and anxiety that often occur in the latter stages of the WD process. GBL helped me when I had to be functional and productive while I was feeling anxious from opiate WD. But, be careful not to overdo it with the dosing, GBL withdrawal is nasty. Do a search for safe and proper dosing techniques.

In my experience, GBL can help a lot with the less acute symptoms, like depression and anxiety that often occur in the latter stages of the WD process. GBL helped me when I had to be functional and productive while I was feeling anxious from opiate WD. But, be careful not to overdo it with the dosing, GBL withdrawal is nasty. Do a search for safe and proper dosing techniques.

I think EeikTheRed has it right. If your going to use this stuff use it for the latter part of withdrawal, and dose lightly for anxiety. I can see it coming in handy after you've gone through the most acute phased of withdrawal, but during the acute phase it wouldn't probably be as helpfull as Xanax or gabapentin. It's really short acting and if you dose a little too high yu can get pretty nauseous. I'd honestly rather use some kind of amphetamine plus benzo, though some might think that crazy

yes, it is definitely a good substitute for opiates during your w/d's. just because not to dose all day like you might an opiate. It can really, really help though. Works for both me and my bf. When done properly.

I think EeikTheRed has it right. If your going to use this stuff use it for the latter part of withdrawal, and dose lightly for anxiety. I can see it coming in handy after you've gone through the most acute phased of withdrawal, but during the acute phase it wouldn't probably be as helpfull as Xanax or gabapentin. It's really short acting and if you dose a little too high yu can get pretty nauseous. I'd honestly rather use some kind of amphetamine plus benzo, though some might think that crazy
Not crazy i use this too for opiate wd's. some meth or adderall - until you are too tweaked out - then a 1 to 1.5 2mg xanax. Does this trick every time for me!

GBL is great for alcohol withdrawal, superior in my experience to both benzos and chlormethiazole. i cannot comment on opiate withdrawal, but would imagine it to be more helpful than benzos, as tolerance builds at a very slow rate. however, should you be stupid enough to get physically addicted to it (as i was) then welcome to hell. the WD from the stuff is pure, unadulterated suffering of a magnitude i didn't think a drug could produce. a few days of constant dosing will produce mild withdrawal symptoms like insomnia and anxiety. however, a heavy habit (i used around the clock for about 3 months, something like 50-70ml of pure GBL per 24 hours) will produce a withdrawal straight from hell, comparable in its intensity only with a really suicidal benzo habit or years and years of drinking a quart of hard alcohol a day.

GHB can be very useful during opiate W/D. I'm surprised you mention neurontin, In my experience gabapentin is a joke. Both as a recreational drug itself (at best you feel a little bit fuzzy/good) and as a tool. But GHB/GBL is a life saver! And I see it being highly useful in the acute phase as a sleep aid. Even if you have to redose every ~3 hours to go back to sleep, it's better than not sleeping at all during W/Ds! And I disagree that if you dose a little too high you puke, everyone I know just goes to sleep if they dose too high, I've only seen someone puke once from GHB and they were also drinking alcohol, so it was mainly attributed to that. So yeah, use GHB/GBL to sleep at night and to unwind after work in the early evening and MAYBE take a threshold dose in the AM for anxiety.

I get what you're saying about the amps/benzo combo for dealing with W/D: the benzos get you feeling good and like you can deal and the amps allow you to be alert enough to function on the benzos, but the come down from the amps would make me desire opiates that much more, so I dunno if I'd like that method.

My $.02

But, be careful not to overdo it with the dosing, GBL withdrawal is nasty.
however, should you be stupid enough to get physically addicted to it (as i was) then welcome to hell. the WD from the stuff is pure, unadulterated suffering of a magnitude i didn't think a drug could produce. a few days of constant dosing will produce mild withdrawal symptoms like insomnia and anxiety. however, a heavy habit (i used around the clock for about 3 months, something like 50-70ml of pure GBL per 24 hours) will produce a withdrawal straight from hell, comparable in its intensity only with a really suicidal benzo habit or years and years of drinking a quart of hard alcohol a day.

I find both of these comments confusing. There is a lot of talk about GHB/GBL addiction/withdrawals but not very much as far as facts go. I personally am a heavy GHB/GBL user, going through 10oz of strong stuff (Only about 1.5 eye droppers/dose) a month between me and my gf, who uses a little less than I do. i have done it every night for a month straight as well as a period where I was dosing from the moment I woke up and have never noticed a significant tolerance build-up, have never felt addicted to it (like, "I NEED it!"), and have never experienced withdrawals when I choose not to dose for one day a week, or for a week break after each 10oz, etc.

Is GHb/GBL addiction something that occurs in some people but not others? Seems like that, or some people, instead of actually experiencing it, are very suggestible and the addiction/W/Ds are more a psychosomatic illness than anything else.

Yeah it will help with sleep. But I wouldn't use it during the day. For me benzodiazepines are a life saver during withdrawal. What makes the withdrawal bad for me is when I'm up all night with my legs kicking and not sleeping. Then the next day I feel even shittier because I didn't get any sleep. When you can still get some sleep at night it will help you immensely. I would caution you to use ghb very sparingly though, because it's even harder to kick then opiates. It's also really addicting because of it's short half life and stimulation of the gaba receptors.

I find both of these comments confusing. There is a lot of talk about GHB/GBL addiction/withdrawals but not very much as far as facts go. I personally am a heavy GHB/GBL user, going through 10oz of strong stuff (Only about 1.5 eye droppers/dose) a month between me and my gf, who uses a little less than I do. i have done it every night for a month straight as well as a period where I was dosing from the moment I woke up and have never noticed a significant tolerance build-up, have never felt addicted to it (like, "I NEED it!"), and have never experienced withdrawals when I choose not to dose for one day a week, or for a week break after each 10oz, etc.

Is GHb/GBL addiction something that occurs in some people but not others? Seems like that, or some people, instead of actually experiencing it, are very suggestible and the addiction/W/Ds are more a psychosomatic illness than anything else.

It occurs in everyone. The reason you haven't noticed any withdrawal is because your dosing it every night. Try sleeping without it and you might have some trouble. If you have managed to not become dependent on it yet then it's only a matter of time. What the other poster was trying to say is that GHB is in another league of it's own when it comes to withdrawal. IMO Benzo, alcohol, barbituate, and ghb withdrawal are the worst withdrawals to go through.

Eventually you will get hooked if you keep going. Save your self the trouble and use it only on rare occasions. Benzo's take longer to get addicted to and there difficult to OD on. Barbituates and GHB you can OD on and they produce physical dependency way quicker. The thing is these drugs trick you in the begining because they can really make you feel better (less anxious. sleep better, relaxed, ect) but soon enough you will need more and more to get those effects, or they will just disapear. Your body will crave GHB to feel normal.

GHB and GBL are incredibly addictive, the most dependence-inducing drugs of them all, as far as I know. The last thing you need is to replace your opioid habit with an even worse GHB/GBL habit. GBL addiction is so ridiculous due to the dopamine rebound when it wears off... you can't even sleep a full 3 hours when you're addicted, even if you dosed right before bed.

??

yes, it is definitely a good substitute for opiates during your w/d's. just because not to dose all day like you might an opiate. It can really, really help though. Works for both me and my bf. When done properly.

So, how exactly is it done properly? I am seriously looking for a way to get through a 150+mg per day habit of opiates, I want my life back but am terrified of the withdraws! I have been a daily user of oxy, Roxie percs, ect for almost 9 years, I want my life back, I don't want to have to take a pill (or10) to feel normal, couldn't tell ya the last time I was actually "high" but when I stop. The physical and emotional pain is more than I can take, tried coming off by using meth, BAD IDEA! I didn't have WD's but by the 3rd day I though I would die, literally, so I called a friend & got some oxy 80's, I know I got myself here & probably don't deserve an easy way out! & I probably won't get one regardless but would like it to be as painless as possible so that I can succeed, rehab is not an option, I would lose my job. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

PS I have tried Kratom, ordered it online & didn't really know what to get but whatever it was, it didn't do anything to help me stop with the pills

I saw an intervention about a guy hooked on GHB I thought it would have all been in his mind but I guess not I had no clue how addicting GHB is.
I've though about this before thinking about what would happen if I did GHB to get off opiates would it just male me sleep through it all or what but I've never tried it. Knowing me I would get hooked to it the way I am with drugs so it probably wouldn't do me any good

^Yeah, GHB is a really easy thing to want to just take all the time....kind of like how benzos are, but much more euphoric and addicting! I'm glad I've never had a big bottle of that shit lying around!

But, this is an ancient thread!

Maybe we should split of Bottgurl's posts and make a new thread?