• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Serious Is codeine a 'safe' opioid in terms of addiction?

cowardescent

Bluelighter
My pharmacist told me that though codeine has a high addiction potential, it's nothing compared to other opioids like oxycodone, hydromorphone, morphine, diamorphine, and fentanyl.

He went on to say that if it did, it wouldn't be sold OTC.

My question is really, how likely is someone to end up moving to harder opioids like heroin once they gain a high tolerance for codeine?

Everyone's situation is different, but being addicted to high dose codine isn't going to suddenly make you crave heroin if you've never had heroin before. You'll just take higher and higher amounts of codine, the next step probably be tramadol/ultram then Oxy. But you can't really predict a progression like that it's all environmental and lifestyle in my opinion.

In comparison to more powerful opioids like he mentioned, yes, it is less addictive.

But is the comparison even relevant? I mean he literally is comparing it to heroin(diamorphine) and fentanyl.

It seems like he is saying opiods are knives, and while most knives are sharp and dangerous, codeine is a butter knife and therefore not sharp or dangerous.

I'm sure there are plenty of studies out there who will tell you how addictive it is, although may require a higher dosage, but the whole "lean" aka liquid codeine w/ or w/o promethazine craze proves this stuff is addictive. Just google search "rapper quitting lean addiction". if that doesn't prove that codeine is addicting and the fact that people will actually pay far more for a weaker opioid than a stronger one says a lot. The whole lean craze is largely because a lot of people don't think it's addicting so it's socially acceptable, yet are paying absurd amounts of money for a weaker opiate buzz. Unless this person has endless money or quits, he will reach a point where he ends up supplementing his lean(codeine) habit with stronger opioids, until he realizes he's been chasing the same dragon all along. And unless this person stops somewhere along this way, the usual end game is heroin often laced with fentanyl because it's the cheapest.

The upside to a weaker opioid is that it will take longer or larger doses to build a tolerance, and so long it's not heavily abused then the withdrawals will be mild by comparison as well.

But to answer your question: it's largely dependent upon the person. I think it's something less than 10% of people that drink alcohol end up having addiction issues- but that all varies greatly by demography, genes, social support system, mental state, and so on. Some people can use hydrocodone and oxycodone with moderation for decades, some people almost immediately spiral into selling everything for heroin.

My pharmacist told me that though codeine has a high addiction potential, it's nothing compared to other opioids like oxycodone, hydromorphone, morphine, diamorphine, and fentanyl.

He went on to say that if it did, it wouldn't be sold OTC.

My question is really, how likely is someone to end up moving to harder opioids like heroin once they gain a high tolerance for codeine?
I was heavily addicted to codeine for many years, and whenever I could get my hands on something stronger it would be an indulgence. But I stuck with codeine purely because it was cheap and easily-obtainable. I also never actually wanted to move on to something stronger because I know my body loves opiates so much, that if I started on heroin I would never stop. I have VERY easy access to unlimited heroin as well, but I will never go there because I know I'll become instantly and hopelessly addicted to it.

Oh, so to answer your question, I personally do not think that codeine is "safe" in terms of addiction. The pharmacist is right, it is very addictive, AND because it is so easily-accessible as well it makes it dangerous for people who are prone to abusing substances and prone to addiction.

personally, yes, codeine is just as addictive as heroin essentially (for some people)

if I start eating codeine I can basically guarantee you it will lead to heroin sooner or later

however for other people I can understand they can use codeine and not go completely crazy

everyone is different

for me codeine is like heroin tickling my balls ever so softly... teasing me... asking for more... don't tempt me

Codeine abuse is what started my opioid addiction, which then led to every type (oxy, heroin, etc) and ultimately now Suboxone maintenance.

Wantonly I refused to question those opining it as 'harmless' and 'weak'. Yes for an addict slamming fentanyl it might be milquetoast, but for someone with zero tolerance you can get thoroughly nodded. This is especially true with high doses. Here in Australia it used to be OTC (mixed with ibuprofen), so with extraction I could easily do half a gram at once. Withdrawals were just as bad as other opioids (constipation worse).

There was a documentary here showing many others who ended up in this situation; every type of person (moms, pops, youngsters, weirdos, normies, everyone). Hence they rescheduled it.

Anyway to answer your question: if they're already at the level of high tolerance for codeine, they will naturally begin to look for other sources. Note: but I don't discount very rare radical level of self-control (such as neophy7e); some others won't move on due to lack of sourcing anything harder (then again I had no source but went out of my way on the street to find some). The addiction within is a magician at getting its way though. Codeine for many ends up becoming merely the 'back up plan' for the day. It makes one realize it isn't really a 'codeine addiction', so much as an 'opioid addiction'.

My Suboxone physician said he was flooded by codeine users when the new laws regulating it went into effect.

Don't underestimate it.

Last edited: