• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

Is being a drug user in society viewed like being a pedophile?

cowardescent

Bluelighter
Excuse the comparison but it seems like once people in your social circle (family, friends, coworkers) know you use any drugs apart from weed (and it depends), alcohol, nicotine and they aren't a user, you're instantly shunned. If people don't cut contact with you slightly or completely, they'll be suspicious when you are around them thinking "is he/she going to steal from me".

It's no different when it comes to institutions/professional like doctors, psychiatrists, hospitals, law enforment, the justice system. As a drug user, everything you do is seen as much worse and you receive diferent treatment.

Now this isn't the case depending on what country you live in, city/area along with your socioeconomic status, but I'd say that it something that you have to keep to yourself unless you want people to look at you differently.

Nah man this is a bad comparison. If you get arrested you arent gonna be instantly put in Protective Custody if your a drug user lol

Very definitely no. I think there's a lot of stigma attached to being a drug user and people look down on you in a similar way, but people don't get tortured to death in prison for being a drug user.
Do you mean someone who is just a paedophile in the sense that they have sexual and romantic feelings towards children but never act on it (I actually feel sorry for such people; they'll never have a normal healthy life or a real relationship), or do you mean actual child molesters?
To me there's a huge difference. One is a soul-destroying condition and the other is the embodiment of pure evil.

Very definitely no. I think there's a lot of stigma attached to being a drug user and people look down on you in a similar way, but people don't get tortured to death in prison for being a drug user.
Do you mean someone who is just a paedophile in the sense that they have sexual and romantic feelings towards children but never act on it (I actually feel sorry for such people; they'll never have a normal healthy life or a real relationship), or do you mean actual child molesters?
To me there's a huge difference. One is a soul-destroying condition and the other is the embodiment of pure evil.

I mean pedophiles who share their condition but have never acted on it.

Basically. Either way your a selfish hedonistic shit thats responsible for the moral decay of "the children."

I mean pedophiles who share their condition but have never acted on it.

I'd say maybe about the same then. It depends on your addiction and ROA. For example somebody who is addicted to prescription medication and can afford their addiction is going to get way less stigma and judgement than a homeless crack addict. It's not right, but that's the way it often is.
There's even discrimination within the drug culture. I have met addicts that are disgusted by IV users, heroin addicts that look down on alcoholics etc.

I'd say maybe about the same then. It depends on your addiction and ROA. For example somebody who is addicted to prescription medication and can afford their addiction is going to get way less stigma and judgement than a homeless crack addict. It's not right, but that's the way it often is.
There's even discrimination within the drug culture. I have met addicts that are disgusted by IV users, heroin addicts that look down on alcoholics etc.

I don't know where you live but here in Ireland there's still a stigma against prescription opiates.

I know from experience that when I mentioned xanax to my G.P, I pretty much never got another sedative prescribed again.

I don't know where you live but here in Ireland there's still a stigma against prescription opiates.

I know from experience that when I mentioned xanax to my G.P, I pretty much never got another sedative prescribed again.

I meant from people in general, not professionals in the medical community. I live in the UK, btw.

I live in Texas and I would say unless you have a legitimate disease that visibly requires them yes there is a stigma. I have Marfans Syndrome with chronic and debilitating back issues and my joints slip out of socket so I personally take morphine time release and I don’t get any “looks” but then I’ve seen other unfairly treated. I don’t even know how here one would be able to find drugs like that on the street. Like what’s the process or how is that done?

I live in Texas and I would say unless you have a legitimate disease that visibly requires them yes there is a stigma. I have Marfans Syndrome with chronic and debilitating back issues and my joints slip out of socket so I personally take morphine time release and I don’t get any “looks” but then I’ve seen other unfairly treated. I don’t even know how here one would be able to find drugs like that on the street. Like what’s the process or how is that done?

I guess you'd have to "know" people like that.

I don't know if I would go that far.
But people look at you much differently if they find out your into hard-core drug use. Just the stigma that comes with the use of them Intravenously says it all. That kind of lifestyle is very shocking to some, but I think people should just mind their own damn business.

Pedophillia is something different entirely in my eyes though. Like others said you don't get murdered in prison for being a junky. They are a pariah, and are hated on a whole other level than people harp on dope fiends.

As someone who is a) a drug addict and b) was raped on my 13th birthday, I have to say I find it kind of offensive that I would be judged by people just as harshly as the guy who dd that to me.

Yea, Id have to say I still err on the side of caution when it comes to letting anyone know I take serious pain meds. First off, I don't want to be approached for any pills or worse and two, people still "wig out" when they hear those magic words. I do not need either of those in my life!

I'd have to say, though. Even if people DID look down on my drug use to the extent that they would look down on a child predator - apart from considering said person very ignorant - it wouldn't really bother me. Fortunately I have managed to acquire this wonderful things called "not needing other people's approval" (y)

Absolutely not in the same realm. Many people do look down on drug users, but pedophiles are WAY worse to anyone who isn't one. I am 100% sure that if you asked any random person which one they'd rather have removed from society, a drug user or a pedophile, 100% of them would pick the pedophile.

I think the general perception of drug users is shifting. Weed is becoming legal all over the place, it's pretty normalized now. Psychedelics and MDMA are being studied and MDMA is about to finish clinical trials for psychotherapy use. Silicon valley people are openly talking about microdosing LSD for creativity. I think the public perception is shifting. Of course for some drugs, not as much. But think back to the 50s, 60s, the reefer madness era. No one thinks that stuff anymore. Give it 5 years and in the USA weed will be federally legal. Oregon is trying to legalize recreational mushroom use. It's a wave. I think the main hard drugs will probably remain illegal and be looked down on but the direction society is moving is towards acceptance and normalization.

No. N-O. It is not, end of discussion. I don't even care how this entered your mind. The stigmas and associations are completely different and unrelated. End. Stop. Done. Dumb question

Even people with a serious sniff habit are horrified by crack.
Weirdly enough I get shit from people who can't tell the difference between bisexual, which I am and peadofil, which I am not.
Believe me, not the same. Never been attacked in the streets because I use, for eg.

Never heard of people who want to execute drug addicts, just pedophiles, so I'm going to have to say no.