• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Is anyone, or does anyone know, a true heroin "chipper"?

What do you base all of that on? Factual evidence? Or simply your belief that no such people exist?

Also, in your post you basically acknowledge that heroin chippers exist. You say that people can use upwards of 6 years before becoming physically addicted to heroin. So they chipped for 6 years! That means that they do in fact exist, as their pattern of usage during this time is "casual" and not based on physical addiction/dependency.

I find it astounding that people can just attempt to shrug off years of non-problematic heroin use as "not really chipping" & just try to write it off as a long prelude to heroin addiction

Yes, my experience. Meeting hundreds of people throughout the years, having at least 40 different dealers and talking to them many times about the users and their patterns because that always interested me since I was a user, my girlfriend working at a safe zone (where you can use without bother, clean paraphernalia, counseling), reading everything on H, numerous stories, numerous posts here (I used to make bookmarks of people who said they are chippers and check on them a year or two later). Never ever met a single chipper. All those people combined must be in the thousands. I think that is a respectable sample.
But I never expect people to believe me only for my words, always trust your own experience above all. Have you ever met a successful chipper? Nobody has.
And yes, 6 years "chipping" is only a prologue to addiction. It creates certain thought/emotional/behaviour patters, craving-reward patterns... You must have some experience with users. Be honest and observe a person whom you believe to be a successful chipper. Youll will always see the signs of slipping into addiction. Even if its only one day more of using per a 2 month period, or one more reason for using per month ...whatever. Every time it strengthens it. Check on them a few years later.
Ive said my peace, am not going to repeat myself. Everyone is responsible for their own life, do what you will. Eventually youll see im right.

Last edited:
I believe everyone could or might have been a chipper for sometime, even years. But for life, from my experience - only those who do not adapt well or don't really enjoy the effects of opiates in general. My opinion only of course.

Besides there are always people with a different drug of choice. But like I said once it's like playing Russian Roullet. You'll never know..

jumping into an old thread: I just want to say I could be considered a chipper. However, I went through full-blown addiction to H years back. Now, somehow I can get by using maybe 1-2X's per month (easy to get here as well). To tell the truth, if I use for more than 2days in a row & then cease, Ill have mild withdrawals. If I go three days on, I'll go through full blown withdrawals. I kinda wonder, as Im in my 30's now, if age may have something to do with this discussion. IF you go through addiction in your early 20's/late teens (kick & all that), and somehow you make it to your 30's and begin to use occasionally; I wonder if life's overall responsibilities and one's own growth (maturity, etc...) somehow helps to keep useage in check? All I know is that if I buy 2 $10 stamps, and do them both in a 8hr period, Ill have hardly any withdrawals the following day & have an enjoyable evening. If I push it to 4-5stamps, done over the course of two days, Ill be a bit sickly on day 3 (goosebumps, mild hot-cold flashes, sleeplessness - kicking the bedsheets) which will last for 3-5 days after. Because I have certain responsibilities that I cannot brush off for any reason, I cannot risk getting more sick than I can handle in terms of being able to work/be in a professional atmosphere/pay bills etc/remembrance of kicking when I was younger (in jail I might add).. All of which adds up, I suppose, to keeping me in some sort of chipper-balance. Ive been using on and off like this (although I have went 3yrs in between "chipping episodes" at one point in time) for pretty much close to 15years.
Are their times when my run is over and a week later my inner demon is screaming at me to go get more? Hell yeah, but I am forced to remind myself (as I look around at my apt, my dog, my vehicle, my girlfriend, my stuff, etc...) that If I do go get more dope the likelihood of losing all these things rises dramatically. I then (depending on who is around) either grab my dog & get outside for a walk to be reminded that the world is bigger than a pack of dope, or hug my 100% straight-laced girlfriend to know that I got some love for more than that pack of powder.
Chippers, we do exist

I've been a opiate chipper for years successfully. I did it on the weekends, but I've stopped. Everything around here (actually considered the best place for heroin in USA) is fent-dope. It comes as tan little rocks and powder, but it's definitely not dope. It's pathetic how it tricks people too, and I don't understand why people keep doing it either. I would do a little bit (10-50 mg smoked/snort/iv) and just start getting unbearable pins and needle itches and not even a dopey feeling just like a weird stimulation and no euphoria. Really fucking unpleasant, but back to real opiates...I believe people with strong willpower can chip with no problems. Not many people have strong willpower...maybe 1 in a 100+.

to: Erikmen
Couldnt disagree more. I LOVE OPIATES, but I also love to drive fast. However, I also know through (1st tried H @ 19yrs old>full blown addict at 23yrs old>rehab>no dope from 24yrs old to 27 or 28yrs old - srry cant remember - >chipping since; 1-2 times Ive gotten close to "getting out of control") experience that like driving faster than the speed limit posted the more one engages this behavior, the higher the chances of getting caught. In the using of heroin world similarities of "getting caught" while driving too fast equates to becoming a full blown addict (at some point being ostracized by friends/family, losing your job, doing things to make $ / support your habit that you wouldnt otherwise do, possible homelessness, going hungry, and simply being physically addicted to a substance all-the-while being the master of your universe). Somehow us chippers have devised an altogether different struggle. And in my experience thus far, chipping has been more mentally strenuous than say weening off opiates/H or even the dreaded cold-turkey (Ive gone through both methods w/ H & Oxy's). Especially the 7th-8th day after my last use ... the mind starts to fuck w me... thats when I jones the most it seems ... but as posted below, I now have also devised a strategy in dealing with those 2 days, which is basically to find the good shit in your life and appreciate it. Realize that it's a balance of our own selfishness (to get HIGH) and responsibilities. Like Ive got a dog that Ive had for 11yrs now. If I go drive to kop in the hood for a week straight, and somehow I got popped by those fucking blue-shirted motherfuckers sitting in jail for even 24hrs, as funny as this may sound - who's gonna potty my dog or feed him? What would I tell my girlfriend - who doesnt know - what would I say to my family, what would I tell my job????????
So, I go look at my calendar, pick a date usually 2-3wks from that day & mark it in my cranium. I then force myself to go do something - usually with my girl & my dog - take a long walk or go for a drive. And you know something, I honestly seem to appreciate whatever it is that Im doing more so ... like realizing that Im damn fortunate to be able to enjoy it right then & there (as opposed to being in jail, or in rehab, or on the streets hustling life away for a $10pck of dope). You realize (or force yourself to realize) that that dope aint going anywhere... like in 3weeks, or 2weeks- guess what? The dopeman will be there waiting to take a bit more of my money...lol
Just not before my bills are paid & there's food in my fridge.

I chipped relatively successfully most of last year. I now am shooting at least a gram a day and dealing with being addicted to a powerful opiod 24/7. Chipping is way more fun. That churning of excitement you get when you count the days its been since you've been high. Getting 2-3 bags and being floored for hours. Its way more fun in my opiniom because you actually have a life aside from shooting huge amounts of heroin every day. I miss those days.

I would consider myself to be somewhat of this. I've used it here and there. For a night or two at a time. Recently I used it really heavily, constantly for a month. Then I woke up one morning feeling sick, grumpy, my nose was burning, and I felt awful UNTIL i ran downstairs and did a big line. Anyway I realized I was in pretty deep and I stopped. I had a big bag of H, fentanyl, and methadone in the house and I just quit. Got sick. Got despressed like literally almost immediately. Hard feeling to explain, felt nothing like myself. Was sweating, freezing cold, sweating, freezing cold. Puking. Diarrhea. Couldn't sit still, couldn't sleep. Stayed up for 2 days straight sick. Thought about doing a line and putting it off just a bit longer 1000 times probably lol. But eventually I fell asleep. Woke up. Still felt weird, but felt better. By day 4 or so I was pretty much back to normal. Won't ever do that again haha! But I will probably occasionally use it with my friend, as she is a pretty hard addict, to watch a movie or have a relaxing night. So I consider myself a chipper I guess!

My ex girlfriend is/has been a chipper. - kind of

She used to _slam_ heroin only occasionally and just at the odd times. Obviously she really enjoyed it but still wouldn't get 'hooked', at least not in the traditional sense. ;)

She went through periods where she had short spells of consumption ranging from a few days to 1 or 2 weeks. In that timespan she usually didn't do smack uninterruptedly but rather sparingly.
So she never really went through withdrawal.

This continued for 1 1/2- 2 years after which she just stopped using (heroin) altogether. Before, during and after this time she smoked pot, did psychedelics, occasionally mdma and also ket. and mxe (which she both liked a little too much).

Unfortunately she now suffers from chronic pain and went back on opioids, this time fulltime, though. :(
Because of this she is on a low dose of methadone right now.

So I'm not sure if the chipping thing would have been sustainable...
It didn't work for me, that's for sure. ;) But I'm fine with that.

even if someone does chip heroin successfully long term there is some level of psychological torment they are putting themselves through. its like limiting yourself to 1 cigarette a day, your mind is always in a battle to not go over what you limited your usage to.

God...that is so freaking true.

I've been addicted to dope for 15 years on and off. For years I always thought chipping was bullshit. However, the past year or so, I have basically been chipping. Well, more like fully addicted, but no longer have the resources to support an everyday habit. I went through this once before years ago, and it is brutal. It's basically being sick and in semi withdrawal 75% of the time, 10% of the time being high, and 15% of the time being somewhat normal. In my estimation, it's actually worse than using everyday, and probably worse on your mind and body. The constant up and down is so incredibly stressful. When I use, which is about every 2 weeks now, I can use for 1-2 days, and I will still get very uncomfortable withdrawals. It really sucks. The worst part is, right when I start feeling better, by around day 5-7, I put plans in motion to start using again. It makes absolutely no sense, obviously. The times when I most thought about suicide was when I was "chipping," because you are on a constant rollercoaster, and just sick so much of the time.

Does chipping mean you are addict (physical dependence?) but you are running out of money every now and then? I don't think so. I think everyone who is not sick, like really depressed or has another kind of mental disorder caused by fucked up childhood or whatever is capable of chipping. Actually I was able to consume H periodically, same as Tramadol (which I liked more) for years (no IV), without getting near to physical addiction, despite the fact I was in quite turbulent period of my life, where I fought with depression and much more. Actually I had more issue with smoking grass than with H (Because I became 'smoker'. I got addicted to the ritual of smoking 'cigarets'/joints - I never smoke real tobaco cigarets.).

Though I got hooked. It happened after 10 years of being 'clean'. I started taking opioids for pain relief (And I am glad I had to, because common painkillers would derstroy me much sooner.), but I did it intentionally as a matter of fact. It was a kind of tradeoff, living with pain + painkillers which will damage my liver and kidneys 100 times faster than H or whatever, against addiction. Currently I am on M, living quite normal life, with family, job, passions and hobys, things I wasn't able to have or do while I was smoking marijuana : ). That shitty popular shit is one of the worst things that happened in my life, next to war and few others.

I intentionally mentioned other info in this thread, because I think some additional info is important when talking on this subject. Like, maybe you will be able to pinpoint a potential flaw in my 'argue' more easly like this : ).

One of the issue with H is that the thing became popular among people who are badly fucked up, from different perspectives, and these people 'represent' it so to say.

Some addicts are incapable of conceptualizing that anyone could have a different relationship with a drug than they (and their clique of fellow addicts) have.

Yeah I know a guy who only sniffs a bit of heroin now and then and doesn't have major issues with that. But that kind of thing only really works if opiates are not your DOC, which is the case with this guy too. If opiates are your DOC and you love that shit you obviously have a much higher chance of developing addiction.