• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Is anyone, or does anyone know, a true heroin "chipper"?

@Bernc1 - Haha, you sound like the female version of me! Yes, always that 'little something extra' as you put it. I too used to work silly long hours, I too used to drink and sometimes still do to excess, I too have sometimes have been what can only be describes as a sex addict (insert red face here) . There's always been some form of addiction, it's like I'm not addicted to anything in particular, but if I start something I take it to excess, but somehow can give it up then move onto the next addictive thing. Like smoking, I never have a problem quitting, but I have quit a few times in my life, not smoked a cigarette in 4 months now, just gave up - probably because the drinking slowed down, although the drinking got replaced by H. Before that I was on a bit of a benzo binge. I seem to binge on everything and anything, the majority not being good for me, the forbidden fruits of life. Thank God I've never been a gambler, haha.

I quite clearly just have addiction issues. Most people have some kind of addiction I think, it's just that some are more socially acceptable, like: exercise; shopping, playing computer games, television, sugar, junk food. Christ, even some folk are addicted to cosmetic surgery.

The problem with opiates is that they can grab you by the balls physically.

I've known people who were like this with pharmaceutical opiates like hydro, oxy, and codeine as I was like this when I dabbled with them-I'm lucky I never became addicted; but I never met anyone who was like this with dope/H.

This. ive dabbled with opiates going on about 10 years now ( never regularly, although at one point 30mg oxy became a 1-2 time a week thing ). Ive seen soooooo many people i thought were in the same "recreational" boat i was in move on to dope and some never came back or ended up in jail. I think its hard for people to understand that there really are people who randomly do opiates. Ive never been tempted to ever do H, shit my oxy tolerance at the most ( i dont snort, just eat ) is 60 mg and i still get nausea. Personally ive never met somebody who does H like I do pills. Im sure they exist, but i doubt they want it to be publicized.

This. ive dabbled with opiates going on about 10 years now ( never regularly, although at one point 30mg oxy became a 1-2 time a week thing ). Ive seen soooooo many people i thought were in the same "recreational" boat i was in move on to dope and some never came back or ended up in jail. I think its hard for people to understand that there really are people who randomly do opiates. Ive never been tempted to ever do H, shit my oxy tolerance at the most ( i dont snort, just eat ) is 60 mg and i still get nausea. Personally ive never met somebody who does H like I do pills. Im sure they exist, but i doubt they want it to be publicized.

Yeah, all of my friends who wound up getting addicted to heroin started off on pills like oxy, hydro, codeine, morphine, etc. and then thought 'Shit this is nothing, I can handle opiates', and then used heroin out of curiosity, because it was cheaper, or because their dealer was out of pharmaceutical opiates and got addicted to it. Mostly all of them wound up IVing it as well even the people who swore they never would, and who said that they hated needles, etc. I only know a few people who are addicted to heron who would only smoke it or sniff it.

I guess most people start using heroin recreationally and might not even ever consider IVing. In my opinion,
this seems to change with time as those who managed not to get physically addicted develop strong thoughts about their use.

It's an interesting question and indeed methadone is used for replacement treatment for addiction to opiates. Maybe OP has a better come down from meth when in use of methadone (?)

I actually have a nice come down from meth when i smoke a few points of china white heroin in the afternoon the day after the night i've used the meth. Thats what got me thinking methadone would be a nice feeling if i'm a little scatted.

I will admit to being a bit "drug naive" but how is methadone going to help you "come down" from meth? It's for opiate withdrawals or for severe pain. If it has other uses then I apologize but to the best of my knowledge it's only going to work for an opiate addiction and meth isn't an opiate as I'm sure you already know.

And if you have a doctor that will just take your word for it that your a heroin addict and prescribe you liquid methadone? Well then many true addicts should come and live wherever you do since many want to get off of the drugs but aren't able to because of the severity of the "rules" that come along with going to many methadone clinics and also because the cost is sometimes too high. For many it's cheaper to just go buy heroin. Sad, but true. And I'm not even a heroin addict nor have I even ever tried it yet even I know this to be factual due to people I personally know and also due to what others on this site have written. Sorry if I'm coming off a bit harsh but what you wrote doesn't make much sense to me. Heroin is much cheaper then meth but you're saying that you'd never get addicted because you "never buy more gear then you need for a session". How much meth do you buy and use that you need something to then "come down from it"? Seems to me like you may be a heroin "chipper" but maybe not a methamphetamine one?
Thats not true where i live. We have universal health care and a jar of a month supply of methadone cost's 6 dollars if yo are on a low income and have a certain health care card. I only asked because i usually use a couple of points of meth and it keeps me awake for one night but if i can afford to smoke heroin for the next day it really makes things a more pleasant experience all round. I just imagined that the methadone would take the edge off similar to what smoking heroin does.

I actually have a nice come down from meth when i smoke a few points of china white heroin in the afternoon the day after the night i've used the meth. Thats what got me thinking methadone would be a nice feeling if i'm a little scatted.

Thanks for sharing Boku,
I believe there's some people whose Drug of Choice is not heroin despite of the fact they use it eventually.
Maybe that's your case.
Your "thing" would be more related to meth w/ Methadone which has a long lifetime.
I'd suggest you don't use it for longer periods. The withdrawals are intense it lasts forever.
Keep the as low as possible.

Last edited:
I feel as if I'm a quasi-chipper. I've been partaking in IV H about once a month - twice max for the last 18 months... but I'm prescribed and take buprenorphine the vast majority of the time so I am still an addict. Nonetheless, I would almost prefer it this way as suboxone sub 10mg has little blocking effect on me, and the blocking effect on me it has I feel prevents me from killing myself.
What I mean is, if I was totally clean (have been in the past for 2 years) and i banged 1 bag of reasonable quality Chicago d, I'd fall out, possibly full on OD. But, with *some* sub still in my system, I can be safe to take larger shots and not feel fearful for my life... and honestly get higher. Sure, I end up spending 250 for 3days, but to me those three days are heavenly and worth it. Plus, more than three days on H and the constipation is truly unbearable.. the longest I've ever used H straight was 10 days, and man was that 11th morning physically destructive to my anus (lol sorry for tmi).. So I guess I've been a "quasi-chipper" for the last five years (minus a two year bit in state prison, which saved my goddamn life..).
But as to the question at hand, an opiate/oid free person attempting to 'chip' is like a blind man attempting to scale Everest, it's possible, but idt 98% who try "really" succeed.

Wouldn't it be nice though.. :)

Last edited:
Plus, more than three days on H and the constipation is truly unbearable..

I find the opposite is true for me. I go to the bathroom fine with H because by the time I wake up, I'm already slightly in withdrawal. Now, if I woke up in the middle of the night and did some more, it would be a different story. But with Suboxone, I never get to that withdrawal point, so it keeps me completely blocked up.

I used to be a 'chipper' for H... That was before I became a daily user, and well and truly physically and psychologically dependent.

There probably are a select few that can restrain and refrain their use to the extent...

I personally found H to be very sinister in the way that I subtly progressed into full-blown addiction.

I tried heroin twice back in the seventies. To me, it was like being wrapped in a warm, safe, blanket of euphoria like nothing I'd ever felt before. I loved it.

And, once i came down after the second time, I realized that if I ever used again, I'd become an addict. That was 38 years ago. Last night, I stopped at Wendy's to pick up a burger and visit the restroom, and on my way back to my car, was accosted by a gentleman who had heroin to sell.

After 38 years, do you know that for a split second, I STILL had to think about it before I said "no thanks"? At the same time, I can take RX opiod medications with no cravings and no temptation to abuse them. It is only heroin that has this effect on me.

It's a scary, scary drug for me. I don't even particularly like the "buzz" from pain pills. I mostly get very dizzy and sick to my stomach. (Somehow, puking from heroin didn't bother me), but heroin is a different thing entirely, and NO other drug, not even IV morphine or dilaudid given in a hospital setting, sets off that craving like heroin does.

So, no. I know I couldn't chip. And the friend who turned me on to heroin, and chipped for years and years? She went on to become a nurse, and continued to chip for several more years...until she lost her license for diverting opioids meant for patients and IV-ing them.

She switched to heroin quite seamlessly once she lost her source of medical opioids.

After my burger and i got back in my car,I sat there and shook for five minutes, as if I'd narrowly escaped being eaten by a monster, and perhaps I had.

Interesting, I feel the Kappa antagonism on the opioid receptors in the gut gives me a flight laxative affect. I shoot my doses in the

I will admit to being a bit "drug naive" but how is methadone going to help you "come down" from meth? It's for opiate withdrawals or for severe pain. If it has other uses then I apologize but to the best of my knowledge it's only going to work for an opiate addiction and meth isn't an opiate as I'm sure you already know.

And if you have a doctor that will just take your word for it that your a heroin addict and prescribe you liquid methadone? Well then many true addicts should come and live wherever you do since many want to get off of the drugs but aren't able to because of the severity of the "rules" that come along with going to many methadone clinics and also because the cost is sometimes too high. For many it's cheaper to just go buy heroin. Sad, but true. And I'm not even a heroin addict nor have I even ever tried it yet even I know this to be factual due to people I personally know and also due to what others on this site have written. Sorry if I'm coming off a bit harsh but what you wrote doesn't make much sense to me. Heroin is much cheaper then meth but you're saying that you'd never get addicted because you "never buy more gear then you need for a session". How much meth do you buy and use that you need something to then "come down from it"? Seems to me like you may be a heroin "chipper" but maybe not a methamphetamine one?

I'll excuse you for being drug naive :p Methadone is a full opiate agonist just like hydrocodone, oxycodone and heroin. It will still get you extremely high. It's very potent. So it would be great for a comedown from meth, especially with its long duration.

Opiate highs relieve anxiety and will help you fall asleep. They are a great alternative to benzos for stimulant comedowns, and for some people much preferred over benzos. '

You've clearly never done any stimulants, and at least nothing very strong like meth or even adderall... Any recreational amount of meth is still going to have a comedown that makes you feel shitty and unpleasant.

It's an interesting question and indeed methadone is used for replacement treatment for addiction to opiates. Maybe OP has a better come down from meth when in use of methadone (?)

Your post kind of worries me... You're a moderator but you're making it seem like you don't know methadone is a perfectly fine opiate for people to get high off of by itself? Its long duration would make it great for a meth comedown.

I'm not meaning to sound rude, but I just figured with how many posts you have and being a mod you would know something this basic. Maybe I'm not understanding the way you worded your post?

When I was on methadone maintenance I was a smack chipper but I don't know if that really counts.

Maybe how you used to be w/ heroin before methadone will probably say more about your habit, idk.
Didn't methadone block the effects of your H. use?

I have been doing this for the past 6 years. I've had deaths and other tragic incidents occur in that period. I don't see heroin as fixing my reality. I see money as fixing my reality, I'm concerned with giving myself the best experience in this life possible rather than getting high and falling back on my goals. When im feeling depressed I listen to motivational speeches on youtube. Heroin is more of a rare vacation than a coping mechanism for me. I liked the theme-park analogy, going to Cedar Point once every few months is nice, but I have no desire to go back the next day as I have other shit to do that I'll be missing out on if I'm wasting my day to re-ride the same rides I just rose.

Like riding the dragstar is a rush, but I have no desire to ride it, get back in line, ride it, get back in line for 3 hours.. repeat

Since you are the one in this thread whos post might indicate a successful chipper I found your post interesting. So I read a few other of your posts. You talk about being addicted to opiates, suboxone, drinking heavily, having a serious benzo addiction,etc,.. etc... You even tried to take your life a few times you say. Come on man, does that speak of a successful chipper. Chipping means balance. Control.
Your posts have an effect on peoples minds.
Think about the responsibility your posts have and if someone actually believes you. They might think its possible. IT IS NOT. There are no chippers. There are people who tried it and stopped. There are people who hit rock bottom and might have a "handle" on it now in one way or another (usually a combination of being on other drugs , strapped for cash, counseling or whatever...). But longterm chippers who are otherwise clean. No, they do not exist. You only manage to use occassionally (if that is the case) because your system is loaded with other drugs to keep the edges of life and the craving for H dull.
And even if you were or think you are, there are many people who used for 6 years and more like you supposedly do, and have not yet fallen to H. It took me longer than that too. But the longer you use, the deeper the hole. Either people use and realize they like it too much and stop(and still never forget and it just takes one weak moment to get back on the road) or they are on the path to addiction. Youre an addict and as you also said in a post, you would use everyday if you could. You cannot, so you use (many)other drugs.
I apologize if that came out harsh, Ive just seen too many ruined lifes because everyone convinces themselves theyll succeed to control their usage. Every year it p+sses me off more as I see the signs of how people rationalize and lie to themselves. H is an antithesis of life. You feel alive but really life and time are sucked out of you.
IF H is really the opiate you still have not abused seriously I honestly hope you never do. Your life is too precious.
Anyone reading this and thinking they might be able to chip, you cannot. There is no such thing people. Unicorns.

Last edited:
I am a heroin addict (currently in a sub maintenance program though), but I have a friend who I used to use with heavily. We would go on dope runs almost on a daily basis, but I never ever heard of him complaining that he was going thru withdrawals or anything, while I knew he was using just as much as me, and I would be writhing in withdrawal agony, but he would seem "normal" and seemed to be able to stop abruptly all the time. Does he fall under the "chipper" category?

Since you are the one in this thread whos post might indicate a successful chipper I found your post interesting. So I read a few other of your posts. You talk about being addicted to opiates, suboxone, drinking heavily, having a serious benzo addiction,etc,.. etc... You even tried to take your life a few times you say. Come on man, does that speak of a successful chipper. Chipping means balance. Control.
Think about the responsibility your posts have and if someone actually believes you. They might think its possible. IT IS NOT. There are no chippers. There are people who tried it and stopped. There are people who hit rock bottom and might have a "handle" on it now in one way or another (usually a combination of being on other drugs , strapped for cash, counseling or whatever...). But longterm chippers who are otherwise clean. No, they do not exist. You only manage to use occassionally (if that is the case) because your system is loaded with other drugs to keep the edges of life and the craving for H dull.
And even if you were or think you are, there are many people who used for 6 years and more like you supposedly do, and have not yet fallen to H. It took me longer than that too. But the longer you use, the deeper the hole. Either people use and realize they like it too much and stop(and still never forget and it just takes one weak moment to get back on the road) or they are on the path to addiction. Youre an addict and as you also said in a post, you would use everyday if you could. You cannot, so you use (many)other drugs.
I apologize if that came out harsh, Ive just seen too many ruined lifes because everyone convinces themselves theyll succeed to control their usage. Every year it p+sses me off more as I see the signs of how people rationalize and lie to themselves. H is an antithesis of life. You feel alive but really life and time are sucked out of you.
IF H is really the opiate you still have not abused seriously I honestly hope you never do. Your life is too precious.
Anyone reading this and thinking they might be able to chip, you cannot. There is no such thing people. Unicorns.

What do you base all of that on? Factual evidence? Or simply your belief that no such people exist?

Also, in your post you basically acknowledge that heroin chippers exist. You say that people can use upwards of 6 years before becoming physically addicted to heroin. So they chipped for 6 years! That means that they do in fact exist, as their pattern of usage during this time is "casual" and not based on physical addiction/dependency.

I find it astounding that people can just attempt to shrug off years of non-problematic heroin use as "not really chipping" & just try to write it off as a long prelude to heroin addiction

Maybe how you used to be w/ heroin before methadone will probably say more about your habit, idk.
Didn't methadone block the effects of your H. use?
Not if I used a lot and as stupid and dangerous as it was I would mix with alcohol; Kind of had a death wish,I'm so glad my outlook changed!

There is something like 8 billion people in this world and we all are built differently surely you are not speaking for everyone! I've never seen anybody sustain chipping for more then a few months but the odds are in the houses favor that there are the rare few out there that do it.